Berry College quota hunt nov 5-8!

HMwolfpup

Anyone wish to share some tips?

have a good pair of boots that you can walk a long ways in. the best success there comes from getting away from the crowd and let them drive the deer to you.....but be ready, there are lots of inconsiderate folks who go to that hunt. That's why I quit applying for it. Good Luck!

Xzuatl

Looks like it is going to be kinda warm this year. High 70s Wed. thur. and high 60s Fri. Sat.

wiggins7070

there are tons of acorns this year. i have found alot of sign on the old logging roads off sand springs. they have logged alot of timber around gate 11 and sand springs road there is a patch of woods they left on top of a hill that you should be able tosee for miles but it will be a race to the finish to see who gets there first. my best advice would be to put down some shoe leather and get away from every body there is a small food plot next to Rocky mnt. that has alot of sign in it right now and the kudzu patch if your lucky to now were it is has alot of deer in it all the time but you cant hunt out of a stand no trees big enough good luck i live on big texas valley

WildBuck

Huntinball 13 Most of the reasons you stated above is why I quit hunting Berry. I have had people come in and set up within 50 yards and me trying to flag them off with a light. I never had anything stolen on any hunt though. Lavender mountain used to be a good place to hunt, but I have not been there in several years.

hunter63john

I also attend Berry and agree with huntinball13! I actually had someone shoot an 8 point out from under me 2 years ago... scared me to death. But as for the Lavender Mountain comment above, it is a great place to find deer. I actually went and scouted up there today and to my suprise it did not look like a single car had been down the road. There was no one scouting up there. But I would definitely look into that if I were hunting Berry for the first time. Also the deer are showing signs of going into rut. I watched 2 bucks chasing does today just as fast as they could run and grunting up a storm. This hunt should be a good one.

Good luck to everyone and just enjoy nature. While driving on top of Lavender Mtn today the leaves are absolutely beautiful. Take time to appreciate God's artwork!

trkyburns

Must say that i agree with everyone and have had pretty much the same experiences over the years as you have described. I did not apply for the hunt this year and i may not ever again. Lavender Mountain is in my backyard which borders the WMA and i heard gunshots all day on Saturday while outside. I can't understand for the life of me why everyone tries to crowd up near CCC Road and the pipeline area off Old Summerville. People - you are not going to see any of the deer that live on campus!! Give it up!! That is a completely different, almost tame herd of deer. And they are way too smart to even think about venturing off the Refuge when the shooting starts.

For anyone hunting the second Berry hunt this year, try hunting above the reservoir on Lavendar Mtn. The best way to get there is from Sand Springs Rd. Go up the mountain then take a right at the crossroads at the top. There are several good areas with good visibility down hardwood ridges. The ridges are steep so you don't even need a climbing stand. I have seen my fair share of deer (and bobcats!) on the top above the reservoir and have only once ever ran into another hunter (while still-hunting - something i should not have been doing during the WMA quota hunt!). I missed a really nice buck several years ago there.

debo

Thanks trkyburns me and a buddy got drawen for the dec hunt I plan on going down and scout in the next weekend or so.

LAKOTA

And remember, if you decide to ride through the campus to get pumped up for the hunt, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GUN IN YOUR VEHICLE!!.

Latest posts