Best food for working dog

OffTheBeatnPath

I’ve always fed my lab pro plan sport and had no complaints from it, but with inflation I just can’t justify paying that much for dog food anymore. I’d like to keep him on a high protein diet due to him being pretty active.
Are there any closely similar foods that anyone stands by?

Hillbilly stalker

Diamond High Energy has done well for me. Victor orange bag also.

tucker80

You'll never see anything made by Diamond around my dogs. I've heard many horror stories.
That said, I know several people who like it.
Victor has the right nutrients and they can absorb everything, and not just bloat on fillers.
So less is more. You feed less, but the dog still gets the nutrients it needs. When he does his business, it won't show up on Google Earth because it's being put to work and not just passing through.

OffTheBeatnPath

You'll never see anything made by Diamond around my dogs. I've heard many horror stories.
Victor has the right nutrients and they can absorb everything, and not just bloat on fillers.
So less is more. You feed less, but the dog still gets the nutrients it needs. When he does his business, it won't show up on Google Earth because it's being put to work and not just passing through.
I haven't heard much about diamond! I got some buddies that feed victor and haven't heard any complaints. Does that red bag of victor help with their coat? Seems some other foods i've tried before pro plan would dry my dog out.

dslc6487

Victor Classic Hi Pro.......works great on my feist squirrel dog, but you may have to skip a meal or two yourself in order to pay for it......but, my dog is family, and from the researche that I have done, Victor is one of the best...

Hillbilly stalker

All brands have had recalls and horror stories….all of them. Alot of its personal bias or promoting another brand. I’ve used Diamond for years on several different dogs, I hunt mine pretty hard and they have plenty of bottom. Their coats shine and they have a consistent solid stool and no vet bills. I’ve got a pretty big circle of dog hunting friends and have yet to see a problem. I go by the results I’ve seen….not what I’ve read on reviews or social media. Ymmv. Look at the shine on this Stephens cur, outside dog and never had a bath in his life. He’s in hunting shape….not skinny.C03AA7A1-2F77-4968-BE78-88DFFE2A575A.jpeg

OffTheBeatnPath

All brands have had recalls and horror stories….all of them. Alot of its personal bias or promoting another brand. I’ve used Diamond for years on several different dogs, I hunt mine pretty hard and they have plenty of bottom. Their coats shine and they have a consistent solid stool and no vet bills. I’ve got a pretty big circle of dog hunting friends and have yet to see a problem. I go by the results I’ve seen….not what I’ve read on reviews or social media. Ymmv. Look at the shine on this Stephens cur, outside dog and never had a bath in his life. He’s in hunting shape….not skinny.View attachment 1193701
Good lookin dog HS.
Agreed, there's different strokes for different folks.. glad it works for ya. Just opened my last bag so got a couple weeks to think on it

OffTheBeatnPath

Victor Classic Hi Pro.......works great on my feist squirrel dog, but you may have to skip a meal or two yourself in order to pay for it......but, my dog is family, and from the researche that I have done, Victor is one of the best...
Agree with that.. Mine doubles as a pillow/watchdog/guinea pig for my daughter and son

tucker80

All brands have had recalls and horror stories….all of them. Alot of its personal bias or promoting another brand. I’ve used Diamond for years on several different dogs, I hunt mine pretty hard and they have plenty of bottom. Their coats shine and they have a consistent solid stool and no vet bills. I’ve got a pretty big circle of dog hunting friends and have yet to see a problem. I go by the results I’ve seen….not what I’ve read on reviews or social media. Ymmv. Look at the shine on this Stephens cur, outside dog and never had a bath in his life. He’s in hunting shape….not skinny.View attachment 1193701

Victor hasn't.

That's a good looking dog and to each his own.

Hillbilly stalker

I fed Victor Orange bag for awhile. My dogs done good on it. The problems was availability. We had one distributor within ~20 miles. I think the company has some restrictions on it being sold, this may have changed over the last several years , I don’t know. It seemed about every other time I needed a bag he was closed or out of it. That’s when I switched back to Diamond which is easily found at any feed & seed, TSC and several convenience stores.

tucker80

That is a good point about availability. But, in the past couple of years Victor has become available at TSC.

I am concerned that as it becomes more "commercially available" that they will be able to maintain the high quality that they've had in the past. Meeting the higher demand may encourage corner cutting, resourcing cheaper ingredients, etc.
Only time will tell.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Was always told that too much protein was bad for a dog's kidneys, more of an omnivore like a bear.

Hillbilly stalker

Was always told that too much protein was bad for a dog's kidneys, more of an omnivore like a bear.
That’s what I have heard from some big time competition hunters. If you don’t work a dog hard enough too much protein will burn them up. These are guys who really really hunt their dogs hard 4-5 times a week year round. I do know too much will make a dog have a stinking funk to them.

Ugahunter2013

My GWP was really picky when he was young. I tried everything but eventually found the Victor blue bag. He loves that stuff.

specialk

I fed Victor Orange bag for awhile. My dogs done good on it. The problems was availability. We had one distributor within ~20 miles. I think the company has some restrictions on it being sold, this may have changed over the last several years , I don’t know. It seemed about every other time I needed a bag he was closed or out of it. That’s when I switched back to Diamond which is easily found at any feed & seed, TSC and several convenience stores.
My tick toter's like Diamond and seem to have plenty stamina....vet says they healthy.....ill change if they change....