Best limb line/bush hook quick release knot

Bigtimber

Always struggled with a few failed knots over the years while limb lining using quick release knots tying to limbs for easy/quick take down. Every now and then it happens and you always figure...that was a BIG one lol What knots do you guys use to secure limb lines for catfishing?

ryanh487

I've never done any limb lines myself, but it seems to me that a good solution is a swivel snap at the end of your line, then wrap a section of line with a barrel swivel at each end around the tree until tight. Then clip the 2 barrel swivels together with the swivel snap on your line. Then it's twist free, no fumbling with knots, and easy to set up and take down. You could also use a lot stronger line as the anchor to protect the line the fish is attached to.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If you are ot using monofilament a round turn and a tow half hitches should hold till the line or limb breaks. If you loop the standing end of the line back through the loop of the second half hitch it becomes a half a bow and will come out with one pull.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't do a whole lot of limb lines, mostly jugging here. When I limb line, I usually just tie a slipknot or a bowline around the limb. And cut it loose.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Like this

Attachments

• 1FAF4E6B-8626-49DC-BEB1-7659E7159796.png
    1FAF4E6B-8626-49DC-BEB1-7659E7159796.png
    967.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 405A5609-5581-4E32-AC3C-C4F28AA79693.png
    405A5609-5581-4E32-AC3C-C4F28AA79693.png
    538.9 KB · Views: 27

bigewalksalone

You get your lines up??? why would you do that?...
lol kidding.
Never limb lined but been thinking about it..

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
What ya`ll are calling limb lines, we call bush hooks down here in way South Georgia. Ours would be made with trot line staging line, with an old spark plug for a sinker, set to be a couple of feet off the bottom. Bait would depend on the time of the year. The knot to tie it to the limb would be a double wrap around the limb, then a half hitch covered by a loop knot. Our territory would be the lower Oconee, lower Ocmulgee, and upper Altamaha, where they all run together and about 12 miles up the Oconee. Pretty much a standard in this part of the country as far as equipment was concerned.

If we were using set poles, they would be homemade as well, with poles generally made from rivercane. These would only be used in the creeks.

GSUbackwoods

Thief hitch, quick to tie and easy untie with no loss of line. Whatever you do don't cut the line and leave the rest in the tree, I get tired up cleaning up peoples trash.

Teh Wicked

Just get a brush anchor man, they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Amazon offers two, one that is a cheap $5 wire option, and it works but the life span isn't long. Mine lasted about 1.5yrs before it was bent to the point of no longer working.

THe Hooksetter is like $16 and WELL worth that price, it will be the only one you ever buy. Its not just a clamp either, their is a cord that runs through the jaws of the clamp and actually draws a tight grip the harder you pull on the tag.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The knot to tie it to the limb would be a double wrap around the limb, then a half hitch covered by a loop knot.

Thanks, Nick. That is a much better description of the knot I was trying to explain at post 9 above. Yours is a much simpler explanation.