Best sloppy joe I've ever ate.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I thought I did a thread on these a while back. I searched and couldn't find it.

I used Cowboys Kent Rollins'(love his YT channel) recipe and tonight I tweaked it to make it next level.

CKR video:

His recipe: https://kentrollins.com/cowboy-sloppy-joes/

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ lbs. ground beef 80/20
  • 1 yellow onion diced
  • ⅓ cup light brown sugar
  • 1 10 ounce can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chilis
  • 1 to 2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from can
  • ½ cup barbeque sauce
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • ¾ to 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or pepperjack
  • 6 Hamburger buns
  • Pickles for topping
Instructions
  1. In a large cast iron skillet, cook the beef over medium high heat until browned, drain the grease.
  2. Stir in the onion, brown sugar, Ro-Tel, chipotle peppers, barbecue sauce and mustard. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through and the flavors are combined.
  3. Slowly mix in the cheese and let cook for a few more minutes, until the cheese begins to melt.
  4. Spoon the mixture onto the hamburger buns. Top with pickles, if desired. Serve immediately.

Here's how I changed it this time. It's even better(to me) than the original:

CKR's recipe calls for 1-1/2 lbs ground beef. I used 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb sweet Italian sausage.

Since I used an extra 1/2 lb of meat I poured in about 5 ounces of Pace medium salsa, a good shot of extra mustard and a good shot of extra BBQ sauce.

After I drained the meat I tossed in a big table spoon of diced garlic(the stuff in the refrigerator jar) and added the onion and kinda sweated them before I tossed in the bowl with the other ingredients. I also added a can of shrooms. I almost forgot, tossed in a good shaking or Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning too.

Let it simmer 10 minutes, tossed in the cheese and stirred it up. Let it go 5 minutes to tighten it up and ate. It was good.

I added slaw to the second sandwich to kick it on up.

I didn't get sandwich pics because 1. I thought I already did a thread on these and 2. I was too busy eating to get up and get my phone from my office.

In the pot after supper:

sloppy.png

pop pop jones

Haven't had a sloppy joe in a good while. I know I've seen a can in the pantry, may have to fix that soon.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Been a while since I h ad that! Craving flung!!!

Dub

Excellent looking eats !!!!

You gotta love Kent Rollins & his bride. They are the real deal and every single one of their recipes that I've tried is on the money and an instant hit around the house.

Their frijoles are the best ever.

JohnnyD

Looks awesome! Cowboy Kent is consistently great with his recipes. Every one I’ve tried has been excellent.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Just an FYI, if you make the straight up Cowboys Kent version you might want to cut down on the brown sugar a bit. It's pretty sweet.