Best to Date!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
NICE!

Coenen

Nice fish! Details, please!

watermedic

Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of my mother's passing so I wanted to spend some time with my dad. I woke up at 5:15, made coffee, then woke him up around 5:40.

We left out shortly after headed to the Lake Springs boat ramp. We stopped and got a couple of sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches. Had the boat in the water by 6:30.

I couldn't get the Helix 5 to stay powered up. It would come on, flash low battery, then cut off. So I am thinking "great, this is going to be horrible". I have a few spots that I can go to and not need the GPS but I always like to see the fish.

Anyway, I gave up on the fish finder and decided to just try to fish and make the best of it.

We made to the spot and I dropped the trolling motor down and set it to anchor.

I baited some lines and dropped them down between 32 and 40 feet deep.

My dad has macular degeneration so tying lines and baiting hooks is a chore for him.

Wasn't long and the first line went down. I set the hook and gave the pole to my dad. The fish wound up getting off just before being able to net it. It felt like a good fish, but all hybrids and stripers feel like good fish. We caught 6 or 7 fish and the bite slowed down so I decided to move a little. As soon as I stopped, I checked the baits and dropped them back down. I was fooling around on my phone when I heard a noise. Looked up and 3/4 of one of the rods was in the water! I set the hook and started fighting the fish. I had him on about 3 or 4 minutes when he got off. I was bummed out. I believe that the drag was too tight since it felt like I has broken a rib trying to hold the rod up and fight it.

We went through a hour and a half lull after that. There was a slow breeze from the east so I thought that maybe we could drift some and see if the would work.

I was working a jig as we drifted when another rod went 4 or 5 eyes deep in the water and the drag was steadily letting line out. It took me a second to get the rod out of the rod holder with the pressure that the fish was keeping on it. There was no doubt that this was a good fish! I couldn't do a thing but hold on and let him go where he wanted to go. After 10 minutes or so I finally started gaining some ground on him. It was an awesome sight to see when he came up out of that deep water.

Thanks to the best net man in the world (dad), we got him in the boat. Then it was high fives!

It was a great trip even with the little tribulations that started it off. We wound up with 10 fish overall. 4 were around 22 inches and then the fish of the day at 36 inches.

IMG_0313.jpg

Coenen

Awesome day! I'm sure you and your dad will never forget it!

Nothing like playing on your phone to entice a bite.