Confused about dates.

dhebard

What are the dates for Deer, Archery Season in Georgia? I live in Gordon County. Looking at the published book, it looks like Archery ends on Oct. 13 for me. However I have seen other places list the end date as Jan. 15, 2024.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What are the dates for Deer, Archery Season in Georgia? I live in Gordon County. Looking at the published book, it looks like Archery ends on Oct. 13 for me. However I have seen other places list the end date as Jan. 15, 2024.
You can use archery equipment during the archery, primitive weapons, and firearms deer seasons.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I know that and you know that, but this year's regulations don't read that way.
The current listing is what the actual regulation is and is how we presented it for years. Listing the first day of the archery season through the end of the firearms season led people to believe that hunter orange wasn't required during PW and firearms and that WMAs that were open state season for archery meant archery every day of the archery, firearms, and primitive weapons seasons.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The current listing is what the actual regulation is and is how we presented it for years. Listing the first day of the archery season through the end of the firearms season led people to believe that hunter orange wasn't required during PW and firearms and that WMAs that were open state season for archery meant archery every day of the archery, firearms, and primitive weapons seasons.
Understood.

I don't know if this is the first year it was presented differently, but I had a few different folks send me screenshots and ask if archery was over.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Understood.

I don't know if this is the first year it was presented differently, but I had a few different folks send me screenshots and ask if archery was over.
I think it is. In a failed effort to make it easier to understand, we ran with the other presentation for several years until the problems started to surface. We've gotten a lot of calls too, hopefully we can clarify it better without creating problems elsewhere. It's like whack a mole dealing with that reg book.

35 Whelen

"Archery hunting is allowed during primitive weapon and firearm deer seasons. Deer of either sex may be taken, except as otherwise specified on WMAs. Hunting on the Chattahoochee & Oconee National Forests is buck-only except as otherwise specified, see Deer Seasons and Either-Sex Days. Archery hunters must wear at least 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange during primitive weapons and firearms deer seasons, except in archery-only counties or WMAs."

Page 20. Deer Hunting 2023-2024 Regullations.

chiefbaron

I think it is. In a failed effort to make it easier to understand, we ran with the other presentation for several years until the problems started to surface. We've gotten a lot of calls too, hopefully we can clarify it better without creating problems elsewhere. It's like whack a mole dealing with that reg book.
I submit this could be easily clarified with a database overlay in the DNR Hunting GIS mapping system. Simply upload the various dates/hunting options as an attribute to each of the various objects in the GIS.

Threshold capability, click on a WMA and the GIS reflects valid hunting methods and dates. Click on a National Forest object, same thing.

Objective capability would have the application show by date and location show what game you could hunt and what are the valid weapons (e.g., bear and buck only with archery, PW, modern firearms or bear and either sex for archery only).

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I submit this could be easily clarified with a database overlay in the DNR Hunting GIS mapping system. Simply upload the various dates/hunting options as an attribute to each of the various objects in the GIS.

Threshold capability, click on a WMA and the GIS reflects valid hunting methods and dates. Click on a National Forest object, same thing.

Objective capability would have the application show by date and location show what game you could hunt and what are the valid weapons (e.g., bear and buck only with archery, PW, modern firearms or bear and either sex for archery only).
While that would be more explicit viewing the regulations online, it doesn't solve the issue for the regulation book which a lot of people still use. My point is that our hunting regulations, and most especially WMA regulations, are ridiculously convoluted and confusing. Because of that every time you try to make something easier to read you may cause problems and confusion elsewhere.

Toliver

Is it possible to do each WMA in a uniform format? That way they have the information there instead of wondering stuff like, "well it's not there so does that mean I can do it?"

And does the state really need to sell that many ads? You could get more hunting info printed and have less formatting issues and page referencing errors without so many of them I would think.

But I do know what you're thinking right now.... "everybody's an expert!" :bounce:

kayaksteve

I think it’s a loosing battle trying to please everyone. I think it could be a lot more clear cut but, I’ve also never tried to make a statewide reg book. I do my best to try to understand the regs but, if in doubt go straight to the source. Call a local game warden/office to clarify.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Is it possible to do each WMA in a uniform format? That way they have the information there instead of wondering stuff like, "well it's not there so does that mean I can do it?"

And does the state really need to sell that many ads? You could get more hunting info printed and have less formatting issues and page referencing errors without so many of them I would think.

But I do know what you're thinking right now.... "everybody's an expert!" :bounce:
Doing away with ads and just paying for printing has been discussed lately. I've been advocating for simplifying to more uniform rules on WMAs for years, but very little progress has been made.

Toliver

Doing away with ads and just paying for printing has been discussed lately. I've been advocating for simplifying to more uniform rules on WMAs for years, but very little progress has been made.
Well I know of 2 Game Wardens that would love for that to happen.... they're tired of the questions. :bounce: