Best way to attract deer to new mineral site?

Condor

I have recently joined a new club and have put out 4 mineral sites which have the following:
Dicalcium Phosphate
Mineral Salt
Regular salt
Dried molasses
I put the above in about a 48" circle and then watered it in. The molasses gives off a strong smell when I am finished.
I hung a camera at all 4 sites and only 2 sites have any traffic. The area seems to have plenty of deer, I am using the mineral site/camera to locate where a large deer might be lurking so I can focus my hunting in the right area in the fall.

Any advice as to what else I can do to attract deer to the sites? I am planning on doing several more sites in different areas of the club and moving the cameras around but would like to maximize my results.

Also, I have some new Moultrie 990i gen 2 black flash cameras which have worked well to this point. I have the cameras maybe 10-15' from the mineral sites and the deer seem to be looking at the camera a lot.

What is the ideal distance to keep the cameras from the mineral sites? The detection distance seems to be a good 50-60' on these cameras.

shdw633

Throw some corn down on your site. I have 990i's as well and like the place the cameras about 10 yards from whatever I'm watching, in case I have deer that just observe from a distance show up.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Put your minerals in a well used travel corridor.

It's a little late now, but give it a shot anyway.

Rich M

Put your minerals in a well used travel corridor.

It's a little late now, but give it a shot anyway.

Ditto. Put 'em where the deer go. If you dig a hole and put the stuff in a hole, the dirt smell will attract them - they like fresh turned dirt.

Doolydawg03

Here are a few of my mineral sites i use Low Country Deer mineral the deer walk thru corn to go to it, as you can tell by these pics they love it. A little advice stay away from areas that have heavy oak leaves or pine needles soil in these areas are much more acidic and the deer dont like the taste of it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6102.JPG
    IMG_6102.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_6104.JPG
    IMG_6104.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 600

Jim Boyd

We have them in all areas.

Some get hit much harder than others.

Patience is key, keep them freshened for a few years and the deer remember where they are.

Good luck.

Yes...corn will make them "find it"

A friend of mine put me on the idea of liberally scattering vanilla extract on the mineral lick, mineral block, whatever and onto leaves etc....they do seem attracted to the scent and you can buy imitation vanilla extract at a grocery store for about $1.00 per bottle. Punch 3 or 4 holes in the aluminum seal and squirt it around-you can smell it immediately and so can the deer !!

sorrydog

A friend of mine put me on the idea of liberally scattering vanilla extract on the mineral lick, mineral block, whatever and onto leaves etc....they do seem attracted to the scent and you can buy imitation vanilla extract at a grocery store for about $1.00 per bottle. Punch 3 or 4 holes in the aluminum seal and squirt it around-you can smell it immediately and so can the deer !!

Been using it for years. I put it in a spray bottle mixed with water. I use it as a cover scent and spray on my boots and around the stand. Have seen deer with their nose to the ground following it. Also spray is on my corn. Raccons love it so whatever corn U put it one the coons will beat the deer to it. Only scent I use anymore and lot less expensive than all the other crap they sale these days.