Spring Summer Mineral Sites

ventilator

Got my mineral sites reloaded on the farm yesterday. Going into year 3 , they really have a big pit opened at each location. I use a mix of dicalcium phospate, trace mineral salt and dried molasses. Really seems to work from march-september. I can usually get a pic of most all the bucks on my place in the summer anyway.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And what you are doing with those minerals, is providing the fetus, through the doe, it's best chance of survival for the first year, along with great bone/antler development for a buck or doe.

Got my mineral sites reloaded on the farm yesterday. Going into year 3 , they really have a big pit opened at each location. I use a mix of dicalcium phospate, trace mineral salt and dried molasses. Really seems to work from march-september. I can usually get a pic of most all the bucks on my place in the summer anyway.
What’s your mixture rate of these products

ventilator

Where do you find the Dicalcium Phosphate? We don't really have any coop's nearby.
Ive been getting it at Southern States in Fletcher NC. They have multiple locations though. Maybe one is closer to you. Dical is hard to find for me usually.

Mackie889

Great info here ... thanks! Where do you put your mineral sights ... near food plots, feeders, or just random spots? I am going to attempt one more year at my farm. I have had absolutely NO LUCK with them over the past few years since buying the place in Northwest Brooks County. I'm not sure if the deer get all of the minerals from the crop fields, or the native vegetation, but they don't seem to touch the sites that I've done. I've tried various store bought ones (deer cain, blocks of different flavors, etc) and even mixed up a kool-aid concoction I found on YouTube. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!

ventilator

Great info here ... thanks! Where do you put your mineral sights ... near food plots, feeders, or just random spots? I am going to attempt one more year at my farm. I have had absolutely NO LUCK with them over the past few years since buying the place in Northwest Brooks County. I'm not sure if the deer get all of the minerals from the crop fields, or the native vegetation, but they don't seem to touch the sites that I've done. I've tried various store bought ones (deer cain, blocks of different flavors, etc) and even mixed up a kool-aid concoction I found on YouTube. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!
On mine, I always do them near a water source. If you can find a good creek crossing, just dig a hole the size of a 5gal bucket and fill it up with minerals now. They WILL be on it soon.

Killdee

I always look for red clay to place mineral sites. They don’t need to be near water to be effective. Clay that will hold water will also hold the minerals after they dissolve and will pull deer in for a long time after the minerals are dissolved and they will dig out a pit.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Where do you find the Dicalcium Phosphate? We don't really have any coop's nearby.
Beggs Farm Supply in NE GA usually has it if that helps

furtaker

I just use the cheap red trace mineral salt from Tractor Supply or a feed store. It's over 90% salt so it's probably not very beneficial with nutrients for the deer but they love it and dig big holes. And it's a good place for summer pictures.

I like putting it in red clay as well if possible. It doesn't need to be near a water source.

Canuck5

Just for what it's worth.

Ranch House Trace Mineralized Salt are the red blocks we can buy at most feed and seed stores. Having nutritious food plots, help a lot too and salt is very important to the deer in the spring, when everything they eat is full of water.

Attachments

• Minerals-1.JPG
    Minerals-1.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Salt Camera Study.JPG
    Salt Camera Study.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Salt Camera Study -1.JPG
    Salt Camera Study -1.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Salt Camera Study-2.JPG
    Salt Camera Study-2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 6
  • Clover crude protein.JPG
    Clover crude protein.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 6

Canuck5

Nutritional requirements

Attachments

• Nutritional Requirements1.JPG
    Nutritional Requirements1.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 5

Mackie889

I always look for red clay to place mineral sites. They don’t need to be near water to be effective. Clay that will hold water will also hold the minerals after they dissolve and will pull deer in for a long time after the minerals are dissolved and they will dig out a pit.
At my old hunt club in Sumter County, we had red clay pretty much to the surface and the mineral sites got hammered by the deer. At my place in Brooks County, there is some red clay down about 15" through the top soil. Should I dig down to that level and then start the mineral site? The sites that I have prepared at the soil surface don't get touched by the deer.

slow motion

Just for what it's worth.

Ranch House Trace Mineralized Salt are the red blocks we can buy at most feed and seed stores. Having nutritious food plots, help a lot too and salt is very important to the deer in the spring, when everything they eat is full of water.
Remember my grandpa mixing mineral salt with sweet feed to get the cows to eat it in the spring for that reason. He'd always say they've been waiting on that grass all winter. Not much nutrition in that early growth and they'll eat so much they get the scours.

ventilator

When the creek floods will it not wash away the minerals?
I dont literally put it on top of the creek, just close. But the minerals get in the ground quickly. Deer seem to use the spot better once the ground absorbs them in my experience.

Ihunt

At my old hunt club in Sumter County, we had red clay pretty much to the surface and the mineral sites got hammered by the deer. At my place in Brooks County, there is some red clay down about 15" through the top soil. Should I dig down to that level and then start the mineral site? The sites that I have prepared at the soil surface don't get touched by the deer.
Just buy a trace mineral block and put it on the ground. They’ll eat it. The only problem with the block is hogs. Those rascals will roll it somewhere never to be seen again.