Beulah Rods

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Ask me about Saltwater Fly Rods and I could probably write a book on the pros and cons of numerous popular brands, however I am not nearly as up to date on trout fly rods. So my question is, are Beulah Rods worth owning? I am looking at a couple of them but I know not what I should be concerned about with this particular brand.

Concrete Pete

This is based on the 6 wt single hand platinum rod:

The line you use will obviously come into play. I was using RIO Gold WF6F.

I actually really liked the 6wt 9’6”. It’s more of a presentation rod if that makes sense. It’s not super fast which I like. The tracking / recovery seemed fine. The 6 weight has the beef to chuck an indicator rig, but it also delivered dries well.

I was able to throw both wide and tight loops well enough by changing my thumb angle which is what you want.

It was easy to overpower the rod and dampen it a bit, but I have a tendency to do that (unless I consciously think about my acceleration in the stroke).

If I could get a deal on one, I’d buy it. Idk if I’d pay list price. I’d do it for a G Loomis or Winston though. Would not do it for this rod. I mention the brands I like to give you an idea of who is reviewing the rod. If you hate those brands, you may cast differently and this review is not going to be as helpful.

So overall, Beulah rods are really nice and upper middle of the pack.

I went overboard with casting lessons and rods when I first started. Not going to say I regret it because I got competent quicker than I would have, but it cost me for sure. I say that to qualify the review a bit. It’s important to know who is reviewing the rod. I’m not a champion caster. I’m intermediate.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Thanks for the input. I literally have a collection of higher end Saltwater Fly Rods that would make most shops in GA jealous. I have runs from 12wt to 7wt in G. Loomis, Hardy, Sage, Scott, etc....As you probably can tell by my profile photo, I spend a good bit of time saltwater fly fishing. I was thinking I wanted a slower rod for the trout streams than what I often use in the windy, long distance casting situations I often find myself in while fishing the Tropics or coastal Florida (and sometimes GA, SC, etc...). I can tend to be a "power caster" so I imagine I will need to soften my presentation a good bit. I was fishing with a Guide in Colorado a few winters ago and he about choked laughing so hard when I cast the 3wt nymph outfit of his about 70 ft up the stream we were fishing, (we were tail race fishing, it was the only water not frozen over) I honestly did not know you didn't want anywhere near that amount of line out when you are nymphing. He wasn't laughing too much after I broke off a dozen or so trout during the day "strip setting" the spider silk thin 7x tippet we were using. I do like the newer Rio lines and was planning on using Rio Gold on most of my trout outfits I am putting together now. I am almost ready to retire and just built an off road RV to explore, fly fish and hunt out of during my latter years. Heading to the Upper Shore of Lake Superior this fall for a couple of weeks to chase Salmon (Silvers and Pinks) and trout.

Last edited:

Concrete Pete

Thanks for the input. I literally have a collection of higher end Saltwater Fly Rods that would make most shops in GA jealous. I have runs from 12wt to 7wt in G. Loomis, Hardy, Sage, Scott, etc....As you probably can tell by my profile photo, I spend a good bit of time saltwater fly fishing. I was thinking I wanted a slower rod for the trout streams than what I often use in the windy, long distance casting situations I often find myself in while fishing the Tropics or coastal Florida (and sometimes GA, SC, etc...). I can tend to be a "power caster" so I imagine I will need to soften my presentation a good bit. I was fishing with a Guide in Colorado a few winters ago and he about choked laughing so hard when I cast the 3wt nymph outfit of his about 70 ft up the stream we were fishing, (we were tail race fishing, it was the only water not frozen over) I honestly did not know you didn't want anywhere near that amount of line out when you are nymphing. He wasn't laughing too much after I broke off a dozen or so trout during the day "strip setting" the spider silk thin 7x tippet we were using. I do like the newer Rio lines and was planning on using Rio Gold on most of my trout outfits I am putting together now. I am almost ready to retire and just built an off road RV to explore, fly fish and hunt out of during my latter years. Heading to the Upper Shore of Lake Superior this fall for a couple of weeks to chase Salmon (Silvers and Pinks) and trout.
In my opinion, if you have the cash, a winston air 2 6 weight is going to be what you’re looking for (assuming you want a slower rod).

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
In my opinion, if you have the cash, a winston air 2 6 weight is going to be what you’re looking for (assuming you want a slower rod).
When I am saying slower, I am using my rather fast action saltwater rods, as a reference point. I have one "slower" rod I use for close in, under mangrove action, the Echo BAG which is a glass rod that loads really easy with not all my shooting head out.

Concrete Pete

Have you used a Scott Centric in the 8 weight? It’s down to the Centric or Sector for me. Sector is supposed to be their ‘Salt’ rod, but both are salt safe.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Have you used a Scott Centric in the 8 weight? It’s down to the Centric or Sector for me. Sector is supposed to be their ‘Salt’ rod, but both are salt safe.
I have a half a dozen higher end 8wts. Sage Salt, Sage Method, Hardy, G Loomis, Scott, etc...because I do fish mainly saltwater. I am looking for trout and salmon rods.

Concrete Pete

What is your opinion on the centric and sector for saltwater? I’m going to get one of the two soon.
I have a half a dozen higher end 8wts. Sage Salt, Sage Method, Hardy, G Loomis, Scott, etc...because I do fish mainly saltwater. I am looking for trout and salmon rods.

Djangofly

I know Beulah did well in one of the Yellowstone (I believe 5wt) shootouts and considered one when I was looking for a 5wt. I ended up with a NRX LP in 5wt and Hardy Zephrus 3wt. Really like the Hardy for a slower dry fly trout rod and the NRX LP is extremely versatile but also on the slower end of the spectrum.

Here is the shootout if you haven't already seen it:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
To be honest, my favorite saltwater 8wt is the Sage Salt, the older ones, loaded up with the Rio Elite Flats Pro. I tend to use my Scotts more so for bass fishing in freshwater, they just don't cast in the wind that good with my casting style. Keep in mind, your casting style determines more than anything what rod you want in Saltwater, try out a number of different ones before you settle on one.