Big Antlers already in Roswell.

weagle

This past Sunday, this deer ran right in front of me on my bike while riding through a big neighborhood in Roswell. He was pretty far off by the time I got my phone out to take a picture, but that's a hoss and his antlers will probably grow for another month at least.

martins.jpg

weagle

Seek One gonna be after that dude.
There are some hunters who bow hunt in these neighborhoods even a group that is trying to set up an air B&B type outfit where they rent out stands for big $$$ to get a chance at a P&Y buck. As big as these bucks are, shooting one is sort of like catching a big trout under a fish feeder in a "trophy" river. I'm not against it, because the population is out of control, but they really need to be culling the does.

Gator89

There are some hunters who bow hunt in these neighborhoods even a group that is trying to set up an air B&B type outfit where they rent out stands for big $$$ to get a chance at a P&Y buck. As big as these bucks are, shooting one is sort of like catching a big trout under a fish feeder in a "trophy" river. I'm not against it, because the population is out of control, but they really need to be culling the does.

WI had a program called earn a buck, hunters in zones with high deer population had to tag a doe in order to validate their buck tag for that zone. Maybe GA should do that in the ATL counties.

humblehunter22

Lol Weagle I am sure you could forward the intel over to the Seek One crew as mentioned. Them fella's seems to have the financial backing to turn no's into yes's in them Metro Atl. counties. They'll at least thin out the buck population. I know over by where I use to live in Cobb County they actually turned a decent chunk of ground into public access through the corps property type of system. Definitely managed to thin down the numbers by a considerable amount. Was dang good hunting until things blew up with crazy regs, etc...

weagle

Lol Weagle I am sure you could forward the intel over to the Seek One crew as mentioned. Them fella's seems to have the financial backing to turn no's into yes's in them Metro Atl. counties. They'll at least thin out the buck population. I know over by where I use to live in Cobb County they actually turned a decent chunk of ground into public access through the corps property type of system. Definitely managed to thin down the numbers by a considerable amount. Was dang good hunting until things blew up with crazy regs, etc...

I'm not sure of the name of the group but several bowhunting groups as well as a bunch of individuals have been all over these neighborhoods for several years. There are even bidding wars for some of the tiny tracts where the home owners are willing.

You see several of these massive "Trophy" bucks every year in GON. There's always a description of how smart and elusive these bucks are which is a stretch. They are as conditioned to people and dogs etc as a petting zoo deer.

humblehunter22

Yes Sir, big money is in play when it comes to the inner core of the Metro counties. Agreed I am definitely not against it but I had much rather prefer to try my hand elsewhere vs sitting up in a proverbial culda sac listening to all the back ground noise watching whatever the "neighbors" have on in their living rooms lol. More power to em but I like the remote wilderness much more. That & I aint gotta worry as much about my rig being vandalized while im in the tree.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
You see several of these massive "Trophy" bucks every year in GON. There's always a description of how smart and elusive these bucks are which is a stretch. They are as conditioned to people and dogs etc as a petting zoo deer.
I remember seeing one of those articles... I stopped reading after I got to the part where the big buck interrupted the guy from watching the UGA-Auburn game on his phone. But that's just me...

That being said, I'd be happy to cull all the does I could from such areas and fill my freezer and share with others.

weagle

I remember seeing one of those articles... I stopped reading after I got to the part where the big buck interrupted the guy from watching the UGA-Auburn game on his phone. But that's just me...

That being said, I'd be happy to cull all the does I could from such areas and fill my freezer and share with others.

I have permission (practically begged) to hunt several properties, but it's one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" situations. You shoot a deer with a bow and it runs 50 yds or jumps a small fence onto property where the owners are against hunting and you have a mess. Not worth the hassle. I wish it was legal to hunt with a suppressed rimfire. I could keep several friends and family member's freezers stocked. Set up over a feeder and take head shots from 20ft. If they set up a dozen "cull" stations in each neighborhood, they might make a dent :) but the anti hunters would never allow it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Y’all Roswell ain’t exactly inner city Atl, it’s still the suburbs mostly. But like so many developments, just enough greenspace and no one taking them out adds up to a bunch of deer that are able to grow up. My kid lives in legacy park over here and is always sending me videos of deer….lots of deer!
Weagle That’s a big ole deer! Love to see him when he loses his velvet!

01Foreman400

Staff member

I laugh at this all the time. I work at a university in the outskirts of Atlanta with a healthy deer population. I can walk up to within 25 yards of a 140+ inch bedded buck. These aren’t the same deer I’m hunting…..

Last edited: