Bill would allow cities to regulate bows and arrows

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Darn shame gov people get to regulate things they know nothing about. Knowing they listen to connections or the loudest who are contacting them.

leeledger

I was the accidentally recipient of a group email to the Home Owners Association Board in Atlanta. They were discussing banning archery hunting within their neighborhood. Whoever lives there won't be able to hunt next year..... didn't take a state law to ban it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 2.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 2.38.25 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 22

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I was the accidentally recipient of a group email to the Home Owners Association Board in Atlanta. They were discussing banning archery hunting within their neighborhood. Whoever lives there won't be able to hunt next year..... didn't take a state law to ban it.

Lots of neighborhoods have that, including mine out in rural Oconee County, but it's civil not criminal. The recourse they have is to fine you and potentially put a lien or your house if you don't pay the fine. Game Wardens and officers don't enforce HOA covenants. Even though it's banned in our neighborhood, several people hunt with no issues.

strothershwacker

Lots of neighborhoods have that, including mine out in rural Oconee County, but it's civil not criminal. The recourse they have is to fine you and potentially put a lien or your house if you don't pay the fine. Game Wardens and officers don't enforce HOA covenants. Even though it's banned in our neighborhood, several people hunt with no issues.
HOA's. Where minding other people's business is a community effort.?

Tight Lines

They do help protect property values, but they suck in every single other way imaginable.

Our HOA prohibits BB guns, archery, etc. I have almost 2 acres...we shoot the air rifles and the archery equipment regularly...no one cares...people hunt around me...I don't.

However, more that one deer was photographed this year eating in a yard with the arrow still hanging out of the deer. This is what is causing the issue, that and people going door to door trying to get permission...aggressively because of the Seek One guys escapades...

If people were just flying under the radar and could shoot, this wouldn't be an issue...

But every year it is, and the chorus gets louder and louder and louder...and this year with everyone at home, there was a lot of hunting in the city after the Zoom calls...

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Our HOA prohibits BB guns, archery, etc. I have almost 2 acres...we shoot the air rifles and the archery equipment regularly...no one cares...people hunt around me...I don't.

However, more that one deer was photographed this year eating in a yard with the arrow still hanging out of the deer. This is what is causing the issue, that and people going door to door trying to get permission...aggressively because of the Seek One guys escapades...

If people were just flying under the radar and could shoot, this wouldn't be an issue...

But every year it is, and the chorus gets louder and louder and louder...and this year with everyone at home, there was a lot of hunting in the city after the Zoom calls...

I don't think legit hunters are the problem. It's idiots or kids shooting deer with toy bows and field points that are causing that issue with arrows stuck in deer.

lampern

So is the DNR going to sue the cities (or city/county merged govts) and towns who try to prohibit bow hunting?

Looks like the law only allows the regulation of firearms not bows

Tight Lines

I don't think legit hunters are the problem. It's idiots or kids shooting deer with toy bows and field points that are causing that issue with arrows stuck in deer.

Likely true...

If I didn't have a friend who wounded 2 and missed 1 (a 175" giant) I'd probably agree with you entirely. I think that there are quite a few back yard crossbow hunters who take marginal shots with zero practice around here.

I can for sure say that my buddy hadn't shot his crossbow since last year when he missed the first one this year...

I do think that there are some of those kids as well...

Reality is, a deer that I shoot is likely going to end up in the neighbors yard...and the Buckhead Betties who feed them and adore them don't take kindly to that...

Ihunt

Likely true...

If I didn't have a friend who wounded 2 and missed 1 (a 175" giant) I'd probably agree with you entirely. I think that there are quite a few back yard crossbow hunters who take marginal shots with zero practice around here.

I can for sure say that my buddy hadn't shot his crossbow since last year when he missed the first one this year...

I do think that there are some of those kids as well...

Reality is, a deer that I shoot is likely going to end up in the neighbors yard...and the Buckhead Betties who feed them and adore them don't take kindly to that...

Just hand them a box of tissue and tell them to go cry themselves to sleep.

Tight Lines

Just hand them a box of tissue and tell them to go cry themselves to sleep.
Yeah I'm a better neighbor than that...and not interested enough in bone to offend my fellow city dwellers...besides, it's why I have a lease...what would I do with all of my hunting gear?!?!?!?