Bill would allow year around trapping of coons and possums

CritterCatcher

It has to go back to the House because the Senate made some changes.
Yup, and the change they made makes it pretty much useless even if it does pass. The version that passed the Senate leaves it up to the Board of Natural Resources who have been against it from the start, for unfounded reasons.

buckpasser

Yup, and the change they made makes it pretty much useless even if it does pass. The version that passed the Senate leaves it up to the Board of Natural Resources who have been against it from the start, for unfounded reasons.

Good grief…

@C.Killmaster who would be in charge of furbearer regulations and/or the decision moving forward if this version passes? What do you predict the outcome would be in that case? Also, can you please take over the entire agency? I was in favor of you running all big game animals anyway, so this won’t be much more on you! Put Turkey doc as lead janitor if you don’t mind.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

The Board has not been against this bill, the change was made so it wouldn't apply to WMAs. If the bill is successful a regulation will be proposed to open the season year-round on private land only. The Board will have authority to change the regulation if there's ever a biological need to regulate the season again.

I hope they let us hunt coons year round. If we can have places to hunt them. Land is being bought up all over. Just lost almost 5000 acres in Heard for a Land fill to come in. From what we have been told. Deer hunters lost there lease to deer hunt it also. But if no body has a place to hunt the coons then it will never work

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I hope they let us hunt coons year round. If we can have places to hunt them. Land is being bought up all over. Just lost almost 5000 acres in Heard for a Land fill to come in. From what we have been told. Deer hunters lost there lease to deer hunt it also. But if no body has a place to hunt the coons then it will never work
Where’s the landfill going ?

cowhornedspike

2022-05-10 Effective Date 2022-05-10
2022-05-10 Act 863
2022-05-10 Date Signed by Governor
2022-04-06 Sent to Governor
2022-03-30 Agreed Senate Amend or Sub

cowhornedspike

"To amend Chapter 3 of Title 27 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to wildlife generally, so as to authorize, at the discretion of the Board of Natural Resources, the trapping on private land and hunting of raccoons and opossum year round; to provide for related matters; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes."

Looks like the ACT only authorized the DNR to make a change at its discretion and I guess that will take a while. I believe they have to hold hearings first and then take input from the public before they will actually change the regulations. My bet is it will be next year or maybe even fall under the two year regulation change cycle they use before actually going into effect. Maybe someone from DNR can enlighten us on this process. Charlie?

cowhornedspike

I also doubt they will be writing any citations for trapping coons and possums between now and the time it actually goes into effect...