Bino Choice?

South Man

For bowhunting what binos and size do you guys use?

Sixes

9x45

Same that I use for all hunting. Never understood the whole buying a smaller set idea or pocket size.

I tried a set of Vortex 8x28 and found the size to be useless and ended up giving them away

ddd-shooter

I always have a pair of Leupold 10x42's on a harness with me. Always.
Love the clarity, love the light gathering ability, love the comfort.
They're not the best out there, but I can definitely tell a difference in them and the cheaper glass.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I use 8 x 42s Nikon monarchs. Ive had them for years. To me there perfect for hunting in the woods and small fields.

Jim Boyd

I have lots of binos.

All I use is 8x32.

Clarity trumps size for me, every time.

Most of my glassing is 150 yards or less.

brdyhll

8x46 I believe. But the brand is Brunton. I love them. My wife signed me up for the thrill of the hunt sweepstakes from Copenhagen years ago and I won them. Great pair of binos

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
8x32 vortex diamondback HD. Under a lb and don’t take up much space. 10x is too much glass for GA woods IMO.

Gaswamp

I have the Leupold Mohave Bx-3 8-32 and Luv them. Also have some 10-42 Meoptas that r awesome as well. A couple of sleeper binocs r Pentax dcf 9x28 and Sightron SII 10x32

hancock husler

Vortex 10x42 fury. They are not cheap but have a range finder in them. For me it’s less equipment I have to carry

Kris87

8x42 if you're in the woods a lot. I'm not a fan of 10's. If you can spend for HD glass, then do it

benellisbe

I have Vortex 10x42 and Kahles 10x42. Kahles are now owned by Swarovski. During an Elk hunt in NM 2017 i broke the retical housing. Sent them to Swarovski and they teplaced the glass and body for $200 (swaro glass).. I will pony up for Swarovski from now on. Their customer service was absolutely top notch.

Edit: i bought the Kahles before one of my Africa hunts in 2007. Swarovski made the issue right considering I bought them LONG before Swarovski acquired the company.

Edit again: it appears Swaro and Kahles have had a history longer than I knew and operations have changed a few times. The Kahles were every bit as clear as the Swarovski for about half the cost. It may not seem like it in the store, but better quality glass makes a huge difference at long range with less than optimal lighting.

Last edited:

Stealth

For me 8x42 work best from the thick cover of early season to the more open woods of late season. They provide a wider field of view than 10x and there is less visible shake. The 42's let in a lot of light for first shooting light and last shooting light. The 50's let in a lot of light but weigh more.