Black Panthers???

hazer

I'm a new member and I'm wanting to get started on here. I reckon I might as well get started with a controversial topic. I could be wrong about all of this but this has always been my thought on this. So Jaguars are native and still live in parts of Mexico and most of South America, and used to roam around in the South West U.S. The last known killing of a jaguar in the US was a female in 1963. And the last sighting in the US was in 2016 in Arizona. Jaguars can be color phased and look very dark almost looking solid black, just as a black bear can be very light and cinnamon colored. Is it a possibility that some of these sightings of "black panthers" in the US are just color phased jaguars still roaming around? So maybe there's not black panthers in the US, But who says there's not any color phased jaguars roaming around. Very unlikely but it's not impossible. Tell me what y'all think.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think no. First of all, there are no jaguars here in the southeast. And if somehow there were, why are they all black? Even in the native range of the jaguar, black ones are only known from the amazon basin, and they are very rare even there. Why does no one see regular jaguars? And seeing that it’s pretty much genetically impossible for our native panther to be black, it doesn’t look good for black panthers.
Could one possibly escape from a zoo or private owner? It’s possible. It probably wouldn’t survive long, and certainly wouldn’t start a breeding population. And why did the Indians and early explorers never encounter them?
In short, black panthers don’t exist here, no matter how much folks want them to. They are a recent, imaginary phenomenon.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think no. First of all, there are no jaguars here in the southeast. And if somehow there were, why are they all black? Even in the native range of the jaguar, black ones are only known from the amazon basin, and they are very rare even there. Why does no one see regular jaguars? And seeing that it’s pretty much genetically impossible for our native panther to be black, it doesn’t look good for black panthers.
Could one possibly escape from a zoo or private owner? It’s possible. It probably wouldn’t survive long, and certainly wouldn’t start a breeding population. And why did the Indians and early explorers never encounter them?
In short, black panthers don’t exist here, no matter how much folks want them to. They are a recent, imaginary phenomenon.

Thread killa. :bounce:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Here's the only true black mountain lion that ever existed, but he wasn't born black ;).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hazer

Not here in the southeast no. Any “sighting” here is a black dog. But in the southwest it’s a possibility. People do see the regular colored ones, not often but they do. So who’s to say no ones ever seen a color phased one and say they saw a black panther.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
My theory on the famed black panther in the US is that nearly anything in dim light that is backlit will appear to be black. Therefore any cat like creature lit from the back will appear black in low light conditions (including a dog with it's head hidden). Folks seeing an animal that appears black and is about the right size and shape will combine this appearance with the old stories and "see" a black panther.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This is the closest to a black panther any of us in this country will will ever see is this melanistic jaguar killed in Mexico back in the 1960s. This is even a rare beyond rare happening since nearly all of the few black jaguars are found on down in Southern Central and South America.

Mexican Black Jaguar.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Jaguars are amazing animals,especially their strength. Saw a video about one killing caiman,unbelieveable. I would hate to think that they disappear.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I'm a new member and I'm wanting to get started on here. I reckon I might as well get started with a controversial topic. I could be wrong about all of this but this has always been my thought on this. So Jaguars are native and still live in parts of Mexico and most of South America, and used to roam around in the South West U.S. The last known killing of a jaguar in the US was a female in 1963. And the last sighting in the US was in 2016 in Arizona. Jaguars can be color phased and look very dark almost looking solid black, just as a black bear can be very light and cinnamon colored. Is it a possibility that some of these sightings of "black panthers" in the US are just color phased jaguars still roaming around? So maybe there's not black panthers in the US, But who says there's not any color phased jaguars roaming around. Very unlikely but it's not impossible. Tell me what y'all think.
It’s more possible that the people seeing “black panthers” don’t know what they saw and imagined it was a “black panther”
most folks don’t even know what a bobcat looks like and they’re everywhere

ucfireman

I think in the SE no, Too many cameras out there. And no real pics.
Trail cams get pics of all kinds of critters we didn't know where there. Escaped Farmed bison, Water buffalo, peacocks, all kinds of snakes etc.
So I think if they can get pics of those animals that no one knew where there then if cougars or jaguars were around in the SE there would be pics.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
No, other than she was on a licensed jaguar hunt. There was a time when you could legally hunt them.
In the book “20 great trophy hunts” there’s a story about a Jaguar hunt in South America

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If you want some interesting reading about jaguar hunts, look up Sasha Siemel. He was a Tigrero.

You`ll like it, T.
Nic,I have heard of a man called el Tigre del Norte,which I believe means something like tiger of the north. Could this be Sasha Sienel?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Peter Hathaway Capstick wrote some about jaguar hunting in South America, too.