Blind-windows up or down?

Twiggbuster

Starting to use a blind more cause I can’t sit as still for long periods like I used to.
Do y’all leave windows open or closed when you’re done?
I use the small openings and hoping leaving them open gets the deer comfortable with that look. They seem to notice any change

JSWOOD

I used a ground blind for the first time this yr and made a HUGE mistake of not leaving the windows down when I put it up. I came back two weeks later and hunted it for the first time. I saw 8 deer that morning but every one of them were very nervous and all of them but one looked right at the blind. I had one doe come over the ridge about 30 yards in front of me and never once looked at the blind. Right behind here was what would have been my biggest buck to date (120"+) 8 point and right as I went to raise the crossbow to get on him he looked right at the blind. I only had 2 windows open so I know it was dark inside and he didn't see or smell me but his head started swaying back and forth then he trotted off about 40 yards and turned and looked again with his head swaying back and forth. He never blew but put his tail up and trotted back over the ridge and was gone. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong because no deer busted me. It hit me at work a couple days later so I went there that day and put the windows down. That has been a couple weeks now and I haven't had a chance to make it back yet. Next time I get out there they should be use to it and I can only hope he makes the mistake of showing up again!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Close 'em up when not hunting. I got strips of camo fabric on the inside window frames so when the windows are open it looks like they are still closed.

misterpink

Also a good newbie tip. Brush it in. Pile some limbs around it. Or better yet hide it in dead fall if possible. Keep limbs out of shooting lanes obviously but behind, in front, all around make it blend in better.