bokbokbok

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Why such a low temperature? To keep splatter down? Most anything I deep fry has been in the 350-375 range. My son got me one for Christmas and I've been frying anything I can get in there as of late...:bounce:
Depends on what it is. Fish and most stuff like that I fry at 350. Stuff that you want to cook through before it gets too brown on the outside, like chicken or tater logs, I'll do at 325 or so. Stuff like coconut shrimp will also scorch quick at higher temps. French fries (homemade,) I usually fry once at around 275-300 until they're blond, then drain and cool them, and fry them again at 375 until they're crisp. The double frying makes a huge difference.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Oh yeah, couldn't live without one. I have an electric one that I only cook french fries and non-breaded stuff in, to keep the oil clean. Most breaded stuff like this post I deep fry in a cast-iron dutch oven on the stovetop. I've also got a big propane fish cooker that I use if I'm frying a lot of stuff at once.
What kind is the small one. That's what I want. For FF and hushpuppies.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What kind is the small one. That's what I want. For FF and hushpuppies.
I've had and wore out so many over the years that I don't remember the brand I have now. I'll let you know when I get home. It's a goodun.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mizz Hotnet, my current one is a Presto. I like it.