Bow Recommendations?

Mayberry

So, I've never hunted before and just starting this winter. I always wanted to learn, but my dad didn't hunt, so I never did learn myself. Now, I'm 41 and have a son who wants to go. I refuse to tell him no, and it's renewed my interest. So, I'm doing all I can do learn, so I can teach him. I have a deer rifle and got it scoped with a nice Leupold. But, I'm far more interested in bow hunting, myself. I bought an entry level Bear Cruzer g2 and it's been okay, but the more I learn, and the higher my draw weight gets, it just seems like it might not last very long. I'm getting some bad cam lean, and when it's straightened out, I have strings rubbing the cams. So, I have to live with the lean, or it's not going to function properly. Some of the reviews I've read have alluded to the same thing. I'm up over 60 lb draw weight, 29" draw length, after a month of target practice every day or two, so I'm pulling enough to effectively hunt now. Bass Pro will take the bow back and give me a full refund, due to the issues I'm having with it. So, my question is, what else should I consider without spending $1000? I don't want something I'm going to get rid of in a year or two, and would prefer to spend the money now. But, I don't need to spend $1500 on something when I'm just getting started. I've run across a Bowtech Convergence a few times at around $600 and it looks to be a solid bow. Any opinions on that one, or any other recommendations for a bow in my skill level and price range that might be better?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Glad you are getting into it and def hope you stick with it. Good for the soul.

My answer will be vague and thats because there is not right answer. You definitely do not need the flagship bows for accuracy or for killing deer. Any mid level bow by any of the manufactures will kill deer and slap Xs just fine as long as they are set up properly and fit you properly and of course as long as you pick up good practice and shooting habits.

Nothing wrong with a year old bow either. Most will be in the 500-700 range and will do exactly what you want.

Personally I would take basspro up on the refund and get some recommendations for a proshop (theres a sticky thread here) that you can visit and shoot a few bows and then have them do the full setup and tuning.

My current preference is Bowtech. Shooting the RealmX now and it is super smooth, but I have also shot Hoyt, Obsession and PSE over the last 3 decades or so.

ddd-shooter

Go to a shop and shoot ALL the major brands. Buy you a nice one or two year old flagship bow for 5-700. Whichever shoots best for you. I'd stay away from the cheaper new bows, for the same reason you're having now. I know it's not the norm, but buying a true top of the line bow is achievable within your budget if you'll go back a year or three.

Dbender

You can buy a super nice tricked out older bow cheap and never need another. I shoot a bow that's 15+ yrs old. Deadly, quiet, lightweight, and dependable.

Fully set up elite impulse 31 for 300 dollars on atl craigslist. Tons of great deals out there if you don't get hung up on latest and greatest!

Last edited:

brdyhll

If your not opposed to shooting a used bow look on archery talk after the season is over. You can find some great deals there. I have a Mathews switch back that I absolutely love but Hoyt bowtech and pse all have great bows. Also look at mission by Mathews and I’m sure Hoyt and the other bow makers have off brands as well if you want new. Great to hear another person is getting into hunting. Good luck and happy hunting

Mayberry

I went to my local gun and archery shop today and talked to a good friend who works there. He and his archery guy recommended an Xpedition Xcursion 6 HD from last year. They think they can get it for near half price brand new, since they will have leftovers and are coming out with brand new 2020 lines. They both said that they are amazing bows, and far better than what I'll be paying for. If that doesn't work out, they still said the Bowtech Convergence is a really good bow for the money. But, even though they had it in stock, told me to hold off and see if I can get the Xpedition for the same price. They both agreed it was a nicer bow, with great warranty and customer service. I'm not familiar with the brand, but apparently, the engineer that designed all the Bowtech bows left and started his own bow company. They had very high opinions of them.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
LH will make the search a bit more difficult, but I see them all the time on the brand specific FB groups and archery talk and on our classified section here sometimes as well.

Xpedition is supposedly making some strong offerings and I wouldn't be afraid of killing deer with them for sure. If you are comfy with the shop you visited and they are comfy tuning them at setup and in the future then in my opinion you won't go wrong.

Tadder

YOUR IN Athens ga. go check out Sam Bows Archery some times he has some great used bows in there just call him are stop by and ask him. Best of luck too you.

Tadder

I'm certain I'm returning the bow I have. I just have to find a suitable replacement. I'm not opposed to a used bow...just not sure how easy a Left Handed model will be to find.
SAM BOWS HAND SOME LEFT HAND USED BOW BEFORE Christmas.

Mayberry

I'll check out Sams. It's about 45 minutes from me. I'm over in Oconee County, near Bishop. I typically deal with Franklin's for everything.

Mayberry

YOUR IN Athens ga. go check out Sam Bows Archery some times he has some great used bows in there just call him are stop by and ask him. Best of luck too you.

I'll check out Sams and see what they have. It's about 45 minutes from me. I'm over in Oconee County, near Bishop. I typically deal with Franklin's for everything.

brdyhll

I'm certain I'm returning the bow I have. I just have to find a suitable replacement. I'm not opposed to a used bow...just not sure how easy a Left Handed model will be to find.
One day d the best bow hunters I know buys left handed bows every year off of archery talk. And he always has great luck with them. But I don’t blame you for wanting a new one either

Otisman

Archerytalk. Can get a great deal on used or new last years bow. I shoot a bowtech experience that I got there several years ago. Still super accurate and quiet. No complaints and I got it half price of a new one.

Otisman

Elite are also nice bows if you prefer smooth accurate forgiving over speed. At least list time I was bow hunting.

gtb3440

I agree with the others who mentioned archerytalk.com for buying a quality used bow. I just bought my 2nd bow from that site, Mathews Halon 6 that came with quiver, arrows, rest, site and case. I got a good deal on it (less than $600 and free shipping), plus the guy who sold it was great in dealing with me.

TomC

I've been buying used bows, sights, rests, releases, etc off the archerytalk.com classifieds since archerytalk started which was a long long time ago. I even bought my last bow an Elite 32 (GREAT BOW) brand spanking new off archery talk for a MASSIVE......MASSIVE discount compared to even the best prices I was quoted from local shops. I'm all for supporting local shops but when you are literally talking hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars less.......well lets just say I frequent the archerytalk classifieds on a regular basis. Do your diligent research, figure out which pieces and parts you want, buy from a reputable seller (used or new) on archerytalk and then go spend $50-$100 or so on a good setup locally. Maybe buy and have your arrows cut from a local shop based on the setup. (BUT NOT BASS PRO)

I'm not saying buy an Elite (I'm getting ready to switch just for the sake of switching) but the 2 to 4 year old Elite bows are GREAT hunting bows (Elite 32, Elite 35, Synergy or even longer ATA bows like the Victory 37) and the prices are REALLY low. If you go back and search the classifieds a few weeks there was a dealer selling new old stock Elites for GREAT prices or pick up a slightly used or new Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech or whatever floats your boat. When you are scanning the classifieds most of the dealers selling new stuff will have an emoji like icon / graphic on their listings which can make new stuff easier to find as the classifieds over there are VERY active and pages move fast. Just make sure you buy from a seller that has a lot of positive seller feedback. I've never had a problem at AT over the years and have spent a RIDICULOUS amount of $ on equipment there sine the early 2000's. Get your sight, rest, release and whatever else you need there as well. Just make sure you know what your draw length is and make sure you buy the correct cam modules for the bow you want to buy that matches your draw length or you will not be a happy camper. Reread last sentence!!!!!!!

Before you buy, spend a week or two reading the bowhunting and other sections of archerytalk forums (and here on GON) to bring yourself up to speed and get feedback on what components to buy. Lots of great info here on GON but a TON of great info over at AT. I lived in your neck of the woods for over 15 years but if I were having a setup done I'd probably head down and see George Ryals at the Archery Learning Center in Snellville. As I understand it I believe George was involved to some degree with the archerytalk startup and is a world class shooter / instructor or head over to the Outdoor Depot in Gainesville (that guy has been setting up bows forever) or the Ace Hardware in Social Circle. My only other piece of advice is stay away from Bass Pro!!!

Last edited:

Ihunt

Bows are like boots. You need to try on many to find the one that fits you. Not sure where you’re at but Chucks in Warner Robjns usually has some used ones or new leftover stock. A great shop and a great way to get a good bow without dropping a grand.