Bow vs Crossbow - what should I do..advice

catch22

Ive always been a bow guy. As ive gotten older, I have gotten a little more lazy in my preparation and approach (im just tbeing honest).

My bow is a 2008 model so I really need to upgrade.....but I dont really want to spend $1100+ on a new set up. I can get a good xbow for little more than half the cost of a new bow with accessories...

I just dont know that Im ready to be only an Xbow guy yet....or maybe I do LOL

Have any of you had this conundrum and what were the reasons why you chose what you chose

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yes
A few seasons ago I was in the same situation . Needed a new bow , between a busy family and a time demanding job I felt I didn’t have the time to practice like I should so I went with a crossbow . A few shots the week before season and I’m ready .
If I was an archery only hunter or lived in an archery only area I’d have bought a bow . As soon as rifle season comes in mine collects dust .

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I’ve been shooting a crossbow for a few years cause I had the same decision to make and went crossbow. But now I had my old bow re-strung and I’m upgrading it piece by piece which I plan on putting on my next bow which will be my final archery setup. But opening day, I’ll be in the woods after an early season buck with my Crossbow. And they are fun to shoot and deadly accurate.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Decades of carrying a compound here. Age is factor I cannot change. I can’t use my compound any longer. A crossbow with a crank will give me many more years in the woods. For that I’m thankful.

flatsmaster

I’ll turn 68 in Nov and admit I’ve been bow only along time .. there is NO better feeling then getting to full draw in my opinion … had shoulder problem about 4 years ago so bought a x bow to go to Illinois with kids and it’s amazing how lethal and accurate but after rehab I ditched it and tote my bow
But also at my age it’s not really about the killing anymore it’s doing what I love for as long as I can !!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Before this goes any further I remind you folks of the rules you agreed to as a member here.

The bashing of legal kills, whether it be deer, any other big or small game, will not be tolerated. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. Posts that harass or belittle anyone and the animal, fish, or bird, and also the legal method of any game taken will be removed and the member will be dealt with accordingly. If you can`t say something nice, it`s best to be silent and move on. This rule will be strictly enforced.

DSGB

As far as costs, you don't have to spend $1000 to have a perfectly capable bow. I'm still shooting my '08 model that I paid less than half of that for, at the time. There are non-flagship options from most manufacturers that can be purchased for $500 or less - same with crossbows.

Taco4x4

I hung up my old Jennings Buckmaster many years ago when I started loosing more deer than I was finding with it. Work and life was taking up my practice time. I quit gun hunting about 15 years ago because I like being close. There is nothing like having a mature buck in front of you so close you can see condensation from his nose when he exhales on those cold mornings. Anyway I hunt archery only public land and started using a crossbow and have not lost one yet. I always bring my bag target with me and when I get back to the truck after a hunt I unload the crossbow by ranging my target and shooting it with a field tip bolt I keep in my quiver. This way I always know my scope is good to go.

Hunter922

We have both. We Hunt in Cobb. Nothing like having a 130-140" hung up at 35 yards and Not getting a shot. So depending on the stand , the likely distance and time of year we will carry both.
You likely can get a good Xbox and a good back up compound for 800 or so. Archerytalk has plenty of newer good compound bows for 300-400.

catch22

Before this goes any further I remind you folks of the rules you agreed to as a member here.

The bashing of legal kills, whether it be deer, any other big or small game, will not be tolerated. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. Posts that harass or belittle anyone and the animal, fish, or bird, and also the legal method of any game taken will be removed and the member will be dealt with accordingly. If you can`t say something nice, it`s best to be silent and move on. This rule will be strictly enforced.
I apologize @Ruger#3. I must have missed a response or something.....all the input so far has been helpful and I appreciate it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I apologize @Ruger#3. I must have missed a response or something.....all the input so far has been helpful and I appreciate it.
You did nothing wrong, the conversation is fine now.
We simply don't allow bashing folks about the legal game they take or legal method they use.

James12

Killed em with both, and glad the crossbow is available for folks that can’t shoot a bow or that just choose not to (young, old and everyone in between!). To each his own! It’s an animal at the end of the shot. I do however think a crossbow can be a bit more dangerous shooting from the ground in the real urban settings, and especially with the newer inexperienced hunters flooding those areas.

But for me right now, and after upgrading my old bow a few years back to a newer Mathews, I can’t put the compound down.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I've had both but found myself able to shoot a touch further with my crossbow than my bow. Sold the bow and just use the crossbow now. My boys rag me about the crossbow but I always remind them they haven't shot one with their bow yet and I'm usually the one smiling and holding the deer... :bounce:

HavocLover

I just like dead deer. I prefer to bow hunt, and was bow only for a few consecutive seasons a few years ago. I just got to thinking one day and thought, “who am I trying to impress? I’m having some good encounters but can’t close the deal for various reasons when the deer would otherwise be dead with a gun.” Then I also thought about the deer I’ve shot with a gun well within bow range. Where, in that scenario, you still out smarted the deer and actually really got in there and hunted the deer. Only part that simplified the process was shouldering the rifle. Obviously that ordeal is much easier to pull off flawlessly than drawing a bow and executing the shot. Otherwise you still really mastered being an excellent Indian.

Do the bow kills count a little more in my mind? Maybe. But all of my trophies are special in their own right in some form. “Oh that’s the one I shot on that public land quota hunt.” “That’s the one I shot with one of my best buddies.” “That’s the one I shot going in blindly on a new piece I’ve never hunted just going off intuition.” So on. I think when looking back and talking over some of my trophies, weapon used is rarely spoken of or thought of on my end. Use whatever makes ya happy. Who cares about the rest.

catch22

I just like dead deer. I prefer to bow hunt, and was bow only for a few consecutive seasons a few years ago. I just got to thinking one day and thought, “who am I trying to impress? I’m having some good encounters but can’t close the deal for various reasons when the deer would otherwise be dead with a gun.” Then I also thought about the deer I’ve shot with a gun well within bow range. Where, in that scenario, you still out smarted the deer and actually really got in there and hunted the deer. Only part that simplified the process was shouldering the rifle. Obviously that ordeal is much easier to pull off flawlessly than drawing a bow and executing the shot. Otherwise you still really mastered being an excellent Indian.

Do the bow kills count a little more in my mind? Maybe. But all of my trophies are special in their own right in some form. “Oh that’s the one I shot on that public land quota hunt.” “That’s the one I shot with one of my best buddies.” “That’s the one I shot going in blindly on a new piece I’ve never hunted just going off intuition.” So on. I think when looking back and talking over some of my trophies, weapon used is rarely spoken of or thought of on my end. Use whatever makes ya happy. Who cares about the rest.
well said!

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve been a bow hunter for many a year. Killed large numbers with a bow, we used to be allowed 10 a year, several years I killed 12-15 a year hunting 2 states. It never gets old hearing a broad head thump one in the broiler room…..I love it. Used a bow thru most of the rifle seasons. One year I torqued my shoulder bad a month an 1/2 before deer season. I bought a cheap crossbow and shot it in the yard some. I went hunting opening day and set up on a decent feed tree. Deer stepped out ….I put the scope on him and shot. He went about 40 yards and piled up. There was no thrill for me at all in it, and it was the first deer of the year. Shot a second deer the next morning…same thing. Now I scout hard for my deer and don’t hunt over bait or plots or use cameras, I usually feel a real sense of accomplishment when it all comes together. But it just wasn’t there. Sold the Xbow within a week, healed up and went back to the bow.

Fast forward a few years later, add back trouble and surgery, I got another Xbow in a horse trade because being in a tree seemed too risky . I’ve killed 1/2 dozen or so since with it. It’s alright, but it ain’t the same. I reckon each fellow is different, but a crossbow is more like a rifle to me. And I betcha a dollar that ol ’08 model will still kill every deer in the woods.;)

ditchdoc24

I have both and have killed deer with both. This new club I'm in has a bunch of enclosed box stands in prime spots which aren't really able to be hunted with a bow. I just ordered a half dozen bolts and some field points. My plan is to try shooting fixed blades from my crossbow. I know it will work but all I've ever shot is mechanicals from my crossbow so it's going to be a little bit of a learning curve I'm thinking.