Bowhunting private property on Lake Lanier

j_seph

COE only allows waterfowl hunting on it last I checked, as well no firearms are allowed on COE unless waterfowl hunting. Not sure on archery. Odds being caught by COE slim, by GW very possible.

jbogg

Just reread original post. Boundary on Lanier is elevation. I don't remember what. Some places it's really close where it's steep others it seems far away. Corp office is on Gwinett side of the dam. They might be a good resource. Post up some pics of your success
Actually, the government Corps line around the lake has nothing to do with elevation. You may be thinking of the 1082’ elevation line, which is not marked, but represents the maximum flood stage. If the 1082 line falls on someone’s private property, they are forbidden from putting a permanent structure below that line.

The Corps Line which is marked with red paint around the lake was established in the early 1950s before the lake was created. This was without the use of satellite imagery which is why the line seems so random at times. Sometimes in the water, sometimes hundreds of feet from the water.

slow motion

Actually, the government Corps line around the lake has nothing to do with elevation. You may be thinking of the 1082’ elevation line, which is not marked, but represents the maximum flood stage. If the 1082 line falls on someone’s private property, they are forbidden from putting a permanent structure below that line.

The Corps Line which is marked with red paint around the lake was established in the early 1950s before the lake was created. This was without the use of satellite imagery which is why the line seems so random at times. Sometimes in the water, sometimes hundreds of feet from the water.
I stand corrected.

natureman

Top of flood pool is 1085 msl. Surveying during land acquisition for Lanier was done with aerial imagery. COE took above 1085 where convenient to get longer straight boundary lines (less work) or to acquire areas for future parks. In a very few instances they made errors and the private property lines go into the lake although the COE subsequently acquired flood easements for them. Those properties are worth a fortune now. Back in the day (now retired) I use to inspect and re-mark those boundary lines at Lanier.

Last edited:

jbogg

Top of flood pool is 1085 msl. Surveying during land acquisition for Lanier was done with aerial imagery. COE took above 1085 where convenient to get longer straight boundary lines (less work) or to acquire areas for future parks. In a very few instances they made errors and the private property lines go into the lake although the COE subsequently acquired flood easements for them. Those properties are worth a fortune now. Back in the day (now retired) I use to inspect and remark those boundary lines at Lanier.
I meant 1085. Talk to text is worthless.