Browning Boss or No Boss

Dub

Nope....never again.

I had a .270 Win with a BOSS. It was the Browning "Eurobolt" model (Schnaubel forend, low lustre stocke, matte finish, funny bolt handle) that I saw in a gun shop and fell in love with it....it was certainly something different, I liked that about it. The owner made me a sweet deal and I jumped on it.

Got her well glassed and dialed in. Gun shot wonderfully at the range (with hearing protection).

Hunting was another story. First deer I killed with was extremely unpleasant....my ears hurt & rang for days.

I shot my buddy's 460 S&W revolver (ported & braked)with earplugs and muffs on. It simply was no joy.

I never again want another muzzle brake on a gun.....period.......ever.............

EVER.

Lead Poison

Why didn't you simply use the "non-ported" B.O.S.S.

Dub,

If you really loved that rifle so much you should have simply gotten the CR (conventional recoil) attachment.

You still could have kept the excellent accuracy the rifle had without suffering from the excessive noise caused by using the "ported" attachment. :huh:

Dub

I bought and sold this gun about 10 years ago. At that time they had yet to come out with the CR piece.

I wish that I had of hung onto the gun. I would have simply rebarreled it.....maybe a .280 Ackley.

sowegaboy

I have a Browning A-bolt in 280 Remington with the boss system. Most accurate rifle I've ever shot. It had the ported system to start with. I sighted it in and them changed to the non ported system. It's been shooting great ever since.

LYNN

I took the Boss of my A bolt 25:06 and put a Cr back on it . It was quiter and a real tack driver after that. A pleasure to hunt with and shoot.

Darkhorse

I've had a .300 Win Mag with a BOSS for 12 years. I like to load and tinker and shoot a lot. With neck turned, plus other tricks, WW cases, my rifle shoots 165 gr. Hornadys in to 3 shot groups that measure with calipers .187". If you let the barrel cool a bit it will stack 5 into the same group. If I had a scope stronger than 10X I think the rifle would shoot even tighter. I've had and have, a lot of non bossed rifles in a variety of calibers and this rifle simply outshoots them all.
Loud yes. Especially in thick woods. But I use ear protection on the range and mostly only 1 shot in the woods. No problem.
My son and I shot my 7 Mag., his .243, and my .300 off a bench one day. We both agreed the .300 felt better against the shoulder. IMHO recoil reduction is a huge plus in accuracry.
Put it this way; If I wanted a .243 I would want one with a BOSS. That's how impressed I am with it.

knappr

I have two Brownings with the boss. A 22-250 and 223. Both guns have little recoil and are very accurate. I'm looking to buy a used one in .338 .325 or 7MM for my elk hunting this fall.

whitworth

Reminds me, I'll have to look for a deal

at a gun store for a good deal on a used Browning BOSS. Nothing like a good buy and suffering to take that "terrible" system off his hands.

Throw me into the briar patch !!!!!!!!!!!