Bulk or Custom Fertilizer??

Sent my soil samples in and received the reports.

Are there places in North Georgia or Macon area to purchase custom fertilizer blends that you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Are you only looking to purchase fertilizer or would you consider having someone spread it?

What county?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
How much area?That would determine if bags or bulk is needed.

Are you only looking to purchase fertilizer or would you consider having someone spread it?

What county?

Depends on price to be honest. We need alot of lime but not too bad on fertilizer, just a weird blend. If someone in the area handled something like this, it would probably make more sense to do it that way. My property is located in Jones County about 5-10 miles outside of Macon.

Last edited:
How much area?That would determine if bags or bulk is needed.

I have one food plot that is roughly 4 acres; one area that's roughly 1/2 acre, and logging road and two areas of gas lines that we are going to turn into plots roughly 100 yards long by 20/30 ft wide. I'm going to get a good measurement of all areas next week.

To give more details (per acre recommended):

Main Plot - 0 lime, 30lb N, 50lb P, 90lb K
Front Plot - 1 ton lime, 30lb N, 60lb P, 100lb K
Logging Road - 2.5 ton lime, 30lb N, 60lb P, 100lb K
Gas Line 1 - 2.75 ton lime, 30lb N, 70lb P, 100lb K
Gas Line 2 - 1.75 ton lime, 30lb N, 70lb P, 100lb K

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Call around and find out what bagged blends are available to you, then feed that info. into this calculator. (example 19-19-19, 0-20-20, 5-10-20)

http://aesl.ces.uga.edu/soil/fertcalc/

But don't get too worried about getting things exact ..... you're doing the right thing and close will be good!

The next option would be to speak with the people that you will get a truckload of lime from and ask them if they can blend your fertilizer in with that. One truckload and they would supply a mix of lime and fertilizer, at the same time. Again, they could get you close.

Canuck5

....... and cut yourself some $lack ...... you're not raising a crop to feed the family, just feeding deer :)

Canuck5

Depends on price to be honest. We need alot of lime but not too bad on fertilizer, just a weird blend. If someone in the area handled something like this, it would probably make more sense to do it that way. My property is located in Jones County about 5-10 miles outside of Macon.

And (like with me), if money is an issue, spend the money on lime, first. A 9 ton truckload of lime spread, might be less than $500. That $500 could last you more than 3 years and allows what nutrients are there in the soil or what you apply, be used. The best investment you can make! George Shu says that lime is the poor mans fertilizer and he's right!! You could spend money on fertilizer and if your ph isn't right, it wouldn't get used by your plants.

Acidic soils.JPG

Canuck5

I'll just add that by choosing what you plant and when, you can provide economical deer food, that in turn, will provide it's own nitrogen (legumes), or will mine, from your soil, nutrients that will br brought to the surface. It will take a few cycles, but you can reduce the fertilizer input.

Look under "scavenger and fixer" and you will see lots of good deer food, we talk about!

Attachments

• 2015-SF-Nutritional-Value-Chart.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 8

Canuck5

Then there is this to consider

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

davidhelmly

Then there is this to consider

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was a good watch Canuck!

Ihunt

Mintons in Macon has 0-20-20, 34-0-0, 0-36-0, 0-0-46, and 5-10-15. I think my numbers are correct. Either way, as mentioned, they’re plenty close enough to mix your own blend to get it close enough.

The lime is or should be your 1st priority. After that, just get it close. I would be most careful putting out too much nitrogen as it will promote grass growth

tillWill

Can anyone here give any comments on GreenView fertilizer? I found at my mom's garage an open pack of it. As far as I understood it is for a fall season but are there any real difference which season it is designed for.

Ihunt

Can anyone here give any comments on GreenView fertilizer? I found at my mom's garage an open pack of it. As far as I understood it is for a fall season but are there any real difference which season it is designed for.

No. What are you wanting to put it on?