Caitlin Clark Breaks Women's NCAA Scoring Record

Gator89

It’s the same with football. Up until conference championship games and playoff games they had a 12 game regular season to build stats. Bowl games weren’t included. Now they’re playing 15 games,soon to be more and all stats are included.

When I first started paying attention, the regular football season was 10 games, the bowl game was #11 if your team got invited. In 1966, the year Spurrier won the Heisman, FL played 10 regular season games, 5 of those were conference games, and then played in the Orange Bowl.

I believe it was sometime in the 70's when the season went to 11 games, and the SEC started playing 6 conference games. Later went to 7 conference games.

Then 1992 came along, 11 regular games, 8 in conference, a conference champ game and a bowl for 11, 12 or 13 games possible.

Last edited:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
When I first started paying attention, the regular football season was 10 games, the bowl game was #11 if your team got invited. In 1966, the yeare Spurrier won the Heisman, FL played 10 regular season games, 5 of those were conference games, and then played in the Orange Bowl.

I believe it was sometime in the 70's when the season went to 11 games, and the SEC started playing 6 conference games. Later went to 7 conference games.

Then 1992 came along, 12 regular games, 8 in conference, a conference champ game and a bowl for 12, 13 or 14 games possible.
Didn’t realize it was ‘92 when they went to 12 games. So guys like Barry sanders and OJ did what they did in 11 games?

Gator89

Didn’t realize it was ‘92 when they went to 12 games. So guys like Barry sanders and OJ did what they did in 11 games?

Yep, OJ might have played a 10 game season, I don't remember much about him in college. I remember him playing for Buffalo.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Wilt Chamberlain never played against a three seconds in the lane rule.
Wilt had to play with the offensive 3 second lane rule but not the newer defensive 3 second lane rule. They changed several rules and even the court to make it harder for Wilt because he was too dominant.

BamaGeorgialine

Wilt had to play with the offensive 3 second lane rule but not the newer defensive 3 second lane rule. They changed several rules and even the court to make it harder for Wilt because he was too dominant.
I think that they widened the three second zone or something of that nature because he was so dominant. I've always thought dang, if I was just fourteen inches taller.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I think that they widened the three second zone or something of that nature because he was so dominant. I've always thought dang, if I was just fourteen inches taller.
Yep, they widened the lane because of him and to a lesser extent the other big men that were starting to come into the league.

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like she passed his record by halftime today, but obviously she had lots more advantages Pistol Pete did not have.

Iowa's Caitlin Clark passes Pete Maravich for scoring record

Iowa star Caitlin Clark passed LSU and NBA legend "Pistol Pete" Maravich for the most points scored by a Division I basketball player, men's or women's, on Sunday.

On senior day at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Clark entered the game against Big Ten regular-season champion Ohio State needing 18 points to pass Maravich, who scored 3,667 points in his three seasons at LSU from 1967 to '70

biggdogg

Broke a couple more records last night, women’s major college scoring record set before women’s basketball came under NCAA and NCAA season three point scoring record. She’s got a bunch of records, but according to some isn’t one of the greatest cause she doesn’t have a championship on her resume. Don’t know that Iowa has the horse power to win one this year. They should be in the mix, but not sure they will get there so for some she may end up only being good, not great. I think schools will think she’s great cause every venue she’s playing in is sold out.
Pistol Pete never won a championship either...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Either they wanna keep the sexes separate or they don't.
Caitlin holds the NCAA scoring record.
She does not hold the NCAA men's record.
She never played against men.
Marrivic never played against women.
Apples, oranges.

BornToHuntAndFish

Reckon she is still setting new highs with single season 3-point record.

Caitlin Clark sets 3-point mark in Iowa's Big Ten tourney win

March 8, 2024

Clark passed Stephen Curry, who had 162 3-pointers at Davidson in 2007-08, and Darius McGhee, who had 162 last season for Liberty. Both Curry and McGhee did so in 36 games; Clark has played in 31 thus far for the 27-4 Hawkeyes.

earlthegoat2

Pistol also played on and against schools that were still predominantly segregated. Though this is probably an overhyped thing since his records have stood for so long.

Chalk up another *