camera recommendation

TROY70

I started a thread on here a while back and did not get the response I was hoping for due to my lack of knowledge.
I have since done some homework and have narrowed my camera choice to:
Nikon Cool Pix P100, 10.2 mega pixel, 15x optical zoom, 4x digital, uses aa batteries

OR

Nikon Cool Pix L110, 12.1 mega pixel, 26x optical, 4 digital, uses internal battery.

What would you chose for basic picture taking. Kids sporting events, family pictures, etc. Would also love to hear pro's and con's. Want a simple to use point and shoot. If anyone has either camera or knows--would like to hear about battery life, memory card suggestions, etc.

Last edited:

rip18

You have done your homework to get it narrowed to two options...

I think you got some specs transposed... Hope I don't do the same. ;)

The Nikon P100 is 10.3 mega pixel, 26.1x optical zoom, and uses the Nikon EN-EL5 battery.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpp100.asp

http://www.testfreaks.com/digitalcameras/nikon-coolpix-p100/

The Nikon L110 is 12.2 mega pixel, 15x optical zoom, and uses 4 AA batteries.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpl110.asp

http://www.testfreaks.com/digitalcameras/nikon-coolpix-l110/

Completely IGNORE digital zoom. Try not to use it in your camera. You have much more control cropping on the computer later.

Both cameras were released in February 2010.

The P100 uses the CMOS sensor (which is supposed to be better), and the L110 uses the CCD sensor (which isn't supposed to be as good in low light).

The P100 comes in around $400 and the L110 comes in around $260.

The P100 has aperture priority and shutter priority settings. The L110 does NOT have aperture priority and shutter priority settings.

Both have very fast frames per second speeds - 10 fps for P100 and 13 fps for L110.

Both weigh in about a pound with batteries (14.3 oz for L110 and 17 oz for P100).

Both offer exposure compensation and image stabilization. Both have large (3") LCD screens. Both focus to 23.6" in normal mode (minimum focus distance) and 0.4" in macro mode. Both have a built-in flash. Both take SD memory cards, rather than CF cards. Both offer manual focus and video clips.

Realistically, either camera will do a decent job. Typing "Nikon P100 review" and "Nikon L110 review" into Google gave me a mixed bag of opinions. Both cameras were dinged mostly on how slow it focuses, on image quality when zoomed way out, and the lack of color fidelity. I've seen MUCH better battery life on the Nikon batteries than AA batteries, and you can buy a second battery. Either way, taking video or using the flash a lot or reviewing images on the back of the camera a lot will drain a battery set quickly.

I'd do my best to get both those cameras in my hands (at a camera store, Best Buy, whereever), and take some test shots with both & see how the camera "fit" my hand. Based on what I'm reading in the technical & user reviews, I'd probably go with the P100 IF I had to choose without handling them.

Hopefully, you'll get some feedback from folks that have one or the other...

Best of luck!

quinn

Well dang Troy,it looks like Rip did some research into both of your choices.I think you got your choices narrowed down to two good camera's.I have a older model Nikon cool pic and love it.Good luck and we hope to see you posting real soon!

Hoss

You did a great job narrowing down the list. Rip's advice is excellent. In reviewing the information that Rip found, I noticed that the L110 doesn't have a view finder. That means you are using the LCD as the view finder. I have heard from others that these can be problematic in bright sunlight as you can't see the image. Something to consider and take a look at if you can get your hands on the camera.

Hoss

Nikon cool pix, I'm on my second one (broke the first my fault).
For $100.00 they are great fit easily into the pocket. I would definitely get the AA battery, and get some rechargeable batteries.

Latest posts