Can you use airgun to hunt in GA?

munchie3409

Just curious if GA allows hog hunting with airguns? I'm considering getting a big bore and I've been wanting to hunt at Ft Stewart.

Thanks in advance.

donald-f

Just curious if GA allows hog hunting with airguns? I'm considering getting a big bore and I've been wanting to hunt at Ft Stewart.

Thanks in advance.

I really do not think I would want to shoot a big boar or even a small one with a air gun. You will only make him mad as a hornet. I would have to be in a stand and hope he is gone long before I get ready to climb down.

Before trying this have your insurance paid up and ID to notify next of kin.:pop::pop::bounce:

lbzdually

Banned
Do you guys even know what a big-bore airgun is? .45-.50 caliber 210 grain bullet at close to 700 fps. Head shots on big hogs and shoulder shots on hogs under 100 lbs and it'll kill em, but don't know about legality.

35 Whelen

LEGAL FIREARMS, PRIMITIVE
WEAPONS & ARCHERY EQUIPMENT

SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS
• Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any
muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17
caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine
capacity for rifles.

FERAL HOG FIREARMS
Any deer, bear, turkey or small game firearms. There is no restriction on
magazine capacity for rifles. Additional weapons restrictions apply on
WMAs (see page 43) and Federal lands (see pages 66–67).

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Seems to me you can use small game firearms to kill hogs. Including air guns

rosewood

But.. The Pigman shot a 25 pounder.

It was 10-15 lbs max. No way that was 25 lbs. Shot square in the forehead, a larger pig will have a thicker skull and may not penetrate.

klown

I shot a pig about 100lb at about 20 to25 yards with a .308 180gr and seen fall to the side started kicking feet and got up and ran away

Philbow

Whether it is legal in the rest of Georgia, it may or may not be legal on Fort Stewart. The Fort has it's own regulations concerning hunting weapons, so I would contact them to be sure about legality.

rosewood

I shot a pig about 100lb at about 20 to25 yards with a .308 180gr and seen fall to the side started kicking feet and got up and ran away

The wind blew him over. ::ke:

Bama B

According to appendix C. You are allowed to hunt hogs with a air rifle. Air rifles are allowed for small game hunting. On Ft Stewart and Hunter. Go to Ft Stewart hunting web site. Go to hunting/fishing Sop & policy letter in green list on left of screen. Go to appendix c small game weapons and read. I suggest you print this page and keep it with you. Good luck

DYI hunting

I've seen hogs taken with 220 grain bullets with a ~950 FPS MV. I don't doubt a big bore air rifle would work but I would want one pushing as close to 1000 FPS as I could find.

One thing for sure, you need a range finder or to mark off your range if your trying to shoot more than 75 yards. The ballistic table looks like a rainbow for my 8.5" 300 blackout with subsonic bullets. A 20 yard error in range at 50 to 75 yards could mean your hitting 2 or 3 inches off your target. At 110 yards a 20 yard error is 6 inches.

munchie3409

Thank you gentlemen. There is a guy that hunts pigs in HI all the time with his .357/9mm airgun. The big bores do a number on pigs.

LEGAL FIREARMS, PRIMITIVE
WEAPONS & ARCHERY EQUIPMENT

SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS
• Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any
muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17
caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine
capacity for rifles.

FERAL HOG FIREARMS
Any deer, bear, turkey or small game firearms. There is no restriction on
magazine capacity for rifles. Additional weapons restrictions apply on
WMAs (see page 43) and Federal lands (see pages 66–67).

According to appendix C. You are allowed to hunt hogs with a air rifle. Air rifles are allowed for small game hunting. On Ft Stewart and Hunter. Go to Ft Stewart hunting web site. Go to hunting/fishing Sop & policy letter in green list on left of screen. Go to appendix c small game weapons and read. I suggest you print this page and keep it with you. Good luck

bigreddwon

Here is a lil boar taken with a 25 cal with a 32g slug flying at about 950 fps. Got inside 20 yards, pitch black outside, had a TAM 14 thermal on top..

Not a big boar or a big bore rifle but hogs are fun as heck to take with air rifles fo sho!

Plenty of great rifles out there. Check out the Crosman Rouge 357. 175g slugs just under 1000fps. Will kill anything that walks in Georgia.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,500
Last edited:
I've seen hogs taken with 220 grain bullets with a ~950 FPS MV. I don't doubt a big bore air rifle would work but I would want one pushing as close to 1000 FPS as I could find.

One thing for sure, you need a range finder or to mark off your range if your trying to shoot more than 75 yards. The ballistic table looks like a rainbow for my 8.5" 300 blackout with subsonic bullets. A 20 yard error in range at 50 to 75 yards could mean your hitting 2 or 3 inches off your target. At 110 yards a 20 yard error is 6 inches.
Then go buy yourself a Texan and get some hollowpoints from Mr Hollowpoint!

I really do not think I would want to shoot a big boar or even a small one with a air gun. You will only make him mad as a hornet. I would have to be in a stand and hope he is gone long before I get ready to climb down.

Before trying this have your insurance paid up and ID to notify next of kin.:pop::pop::bounce:
I really do think you need update your knowledge of the latest big bore air rifles that can push a 500 grain hollowpoint and break both shoulders of a deer.