CASTING 30-06 BULLETS.

VEARL

COLD OUTSIDE ..SO WENT TO MY GARAGE AND STARTED THE LEAD POT. CAST 100 173 GR. 30-06 BULLETS. TOOF ABOUT AND HOUR SINCE I ONLY HAVE A SINGLE CAVAITY MOLD. THEN I BROUGHT OUT MY POWDER COATING GEAR AND PUT A PRETTY LIME GREEN POWDER COAT ON THEM. STORED THEM, ALONG WITH OTHER THAT I HAVE CAST. NOW I HAVE TO FIND SOME 30-06 BRASS. THEY ARE HARD TO FIND. EVEN THE ONCE FIRED BRASS.

Bobby Bigtime

Is that the Lyman 311041? I love that bullet sent a good 1k of them down range and into a few creatures. There should be some military brass still available but it has gone up in price saw some recently online for about fifty cents. I paid a local boy twenty cents recently felt blessed and lucky.

Mattval

I would like to get in to casting bullets someday.
Tell me why 173 grain?

Bobby Bigtime

I would like to get in to casting bullets someday.
Tell me why 173 grain?
Cast runs a little different in terms of weight than jacketed bullets do in my experience. And weights can vary slightly depending on what alloy mix you are going with. When I was a kid my dad used to cast a 208 grain bullet for the springfields using wheel weights. I don't remember the mould but it was a Lyman. Another mix we used would put them at 203.

Mattval

Cast runs a little different in terms of weight than jacketed bullets do in my experience. And weights can vary slightly depending on what alloy mix you are going with. When I was a kid my dad used to cast a 208 grain bullet for the springfields using wheel weights. I don't remember the mould but it was a Lyman. Another mix we used would put them at 203.
I would love to shoot a 200 bullet at a deer!

Bobby Bigtime

I would love to shoot a 200 bullet at a deer!
My brother informed me that dads mould is a Lyman 311284. He still has it although we did shoot deer with those bullets, I don't remember the performance being too great. The wheel weights were a little hard. They blew through plenty of coyotes, fox, bobcats, coons and such without doing too much damage. That Lyman 311041 bullet has been super on plenty of deer. I don't shoot cast anymore as the place I bought them from changed hands and went downhill. There are good cast bullets out there for hunting. You don't need a screaming velocity to kill stuff.