Once shot brass and fire lapping

The Rodney

Always told myself I would get back into reloading one day like I did when I was a teenager. So a few years ago I started to keep brass I now know I will never use. I have about 100 once fired brass from 30-30, 243, 7mm-08 and maybe some 30-06.

I figure I can find a good home for them on the GON marketplace as a trade for some live rounds? I need to stock up on rifle ammo as I did about five years ago but at $2/rd these days I am going to wait.

Anyhow, one of my ideas was to make some lapping rounds for 30-30. I have a 115 year old 1894 with a rough barrel and I think some fire lapping might be the ticket as Hoppes just isn't doing it... and a few long soaks in PB Blaster (the bore). As reloaders do you ever make rounds for hire? If so, has anyone made lapping rounds for a 30-30. I don't have any friends who reload so thought I would look here. Or, can you just buy factory lead cartridges and roll them in the lapping compound?

Thanks for any insight.

TL60

I would take it to a good gunsmith as step one. Sounds more like a situation that could do more damage than good shooting in the dark (pun intended)
Had a really beat up Marlin 30-30 once that was pitted up inside. bought a 1000 grit wet dry sanding sponge and pushed pieces of it through wet with oil on a 20cal jag, then used a .25 wooden dowel rod with cotton cloth and lapping compound on the 1st 6" of it. Had it slick and shooting well but could have bought new barrell from Numrich for the time I spent lol.

rosewood

I believe it is illegal to sell ammo you manufactured without a license. However, I do not think they can stop someone from giving it away. And I don't see how trading would violate that law either as long as it isn't cash, but don't quote me on it. It is legal to allow someone to use your loading equipment.

I have heard of folks saturating a bore snake with valve lapping compound and pulling it through the barrel numerous times to lap. I myself have used a bore mop on a cleaning rod with valve lapping compound. I have never used fire lapping myself.

Rosewood

The Rodney

Good advice all around. I put 220 grit on a mop and it felt as though I needed the next size up .30 cal. I need more mops. When I ran back through with bore cleaner I could tell it had helped. Still not in great shape but a vast improvement. The powder from 100 years ago must've been really awful on barrels. Anybody have an opinion on those brass brushes or the nylon brushes… I've worn out the metal brushes and I need to order some more in various calibers.

Jester896

Senior Clown
don't rub steel with steel...you want a softer brush than the steel of the barrel. The older powders were very corrosive.

It may also help to pick up one of the scopes you can hook to your phone to view the inside.

nmurph

Get a Teslong bore scope for $50 on Amazon and you'll know what you're dealing with.

It is definitely illegal to sell or trade reloaded ammo without a manufacturing license. It also invites legal liability if a round you loaded blows up on someone.

The Rodney

Before and after a major cleaning but still not where I want it. Hopefully you can tell which is the "after" pic!

Attachments

• 55851107-C9C7-4086-AA32-F28273B32443.jpeg
    55851107-C9C7-4086-AA32-F28273B32443.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 15
  • EA9AF9F5-3D03-4652-AFB8-27051C86220A.jpeg
    EA9AF9F5-3D03-4652-AFB8-27051C86220A.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 15

Jester896

Senior Clown
Before and after a major cleaning but still not where I want it. Hopefully you can tell which is the "after" pic!
that looks like a whole lot of carbon in there...going to take more than 1 cleaning to get it out but you have made a good start. I wouldn't lap it just yet or until you get all the carbon out. Sweet's or Montana's might help...follow instructions. Then maybe some JB's bore paste.

rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
VFG also makes an intensive pad that is pretty strong for deep cleaning.

You can also get some of that gray Scotchbrite and cut a 1/4" wide strip off of the edge...separate it in half and wrap a nylon brush with it for some extra scrubbing ability...use some oil..(Kroil)

The Rodney

I went through about 150 patches alternating between lawn soaks of PB blaster and foaming bore cleaner. After the hour soak I run a brush through.... on a drill. When the patches stopped coming back jet black I knew I was making progress. Deeeeeeep cleaning

Attachments

• 5FA2EAA7-778D-45DB-B237-8C7147F0BB22.jpeg
    5FA2EAA7-778D-45DB-B237-8C7147F0BB22.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts