Chattahoochee River above Helen

teebert

Today I did something I always wanted to try....I drove along Chattahoochee River Rd above Helen as far as I could until I reached a closed gate and had to turn around. It looks like the entire length is around 19 miles but I didn't even make it 10 before I reached the gate. Can you not drive all the way through? It's possible I got off on a side road....I had to cross the river at one point (not on a bridge) and ended up in a campground. Also, is the river stocked up there in the wilderness? I don't know how a stocking truck could make it all the way up there unless it's stocked further up the road where it rejoins 75.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
There is a campground at the top. Upper Chattahoochee campground. There are 2 waterfalls within a couple hundred yards of camp. They do stock trout up that far.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
They used to stock at the concrete bridge at the campground and a few other spots but that was over 25 years ago. I used to camp up there before there was a campground or anything other than the gravel road and a ranger station at the bottom. Beautiful country up there back then. No idea what it looks like today though.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Last time I was there the bears were bad. The ranger was talking of closing the campground

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Last time I was there the bears were bad. The ranger was talking of closing the campground
We ran'em off a few times but rarely saw them. We'd usually hear them in the woods first and hollering would run them off back then. They're probably more used to people now and food laying around with that campground being there.
There's a few special places back there on the Hooch way down from the concrete bridge. One is our old campsite that was a good 45 minute walk down the creek from the bridge where another smaller creek joined the Hooch. There was an old iron boiler plate about a foot square and 3/4 thick that we used over the campfire to cook on. We always left it there laying against the rocks of the fire ring and it was always there when we came back. Way further down from that is a spot where two rock slabs fell across the creek and the creek cut a 25 foot long trough through it about 3 foot wide. It's one of the few places on the Hooch where you can stand with your feet on either side of the river.

Last edited:

Anvil Head

Wow! Memories - Pop loved fishing that area. We used to camp both upper and lower sites back when the "concrete" bridge was just big hemlock logs and rough boards. Caught a lot of trout back then and it was pretty primitive then - yepper always a lot of bears prowling but never had issues with them, kept a clean tight camp.

The mtn man

The gate is not the chatahoochee, you were at the low gap campground at low gap creek. You should have taken a right before there.

chiefbaron

The DNR does stock the upper Chattahoochee. You can see the weekly stocking report at View the Weekly Stocking Report
You can also see the recently stocked rivers on the DNR map at Interactive Trout Map
Last time I was on the road to the Upper Chattahoochie Campground it was pretty much torn up. I am pretty sure TS Fred mad it it worse.