Chattahoochee WMA Part II

Buckman18

It was extremely windy and loud up on the high ridges today. I used an acrylic pot that @drewpatt made for me to cut the wind. I made one series of cuts that merged with yelps. 9 minutes later this ol’ boy showed up. He never gobbled (that I could hear) but he did come running down the ridge several minutes after I first saw him looking for his new hen friend, and then he broke out into a full strut at exactly 30 paces. 20 pounds, 1&1/8 spurs, 8” beard. I parked my truck at 4:50, and arrived in the gap I wanted to start hunting at 7:10 nearly 1000ft higher than where I started. The leaves were just starting on the trees, and the dogwoods were just starting to bloom. At my house the blooms have already fallen off. I shot the bird at 7:38, then I took a nap before my hike out. It’s time for a Miller Lite, ice packs on the knees, and a bit of rest so I can try for #3 on Warwoman tomorrow.

Last edited:

jbogg

That’s a great hunt! Really cool pic! Clearly those Chattahoochee birds no longer pose a challenge. Seriously, good luck on Warwoman. Your about to get the mountain turkey slam.

Timberman

Nice job! Blue Ridge wasn’t so kind to us this am

Last edited:

strothershwacker

Good job! I got whipped by one this morning. A lot of gobbling this morning! Walked 12.3 miles. Some hens are sitting already round the 1800' mark. Got on the 1st rattler of the season. Lucky for him he wasn't big nuff for a belt yet. I love late season! Good luck on warwomen!

Buckman18

Good job! I got whipped by one this morning. A lot of gobbling this morning! Walked 12.3 miles. Some hens are sitting already round the 1800' mark. Got on the 1st rattler of the season. Lucky for him he wasn't big nuff for a belt yet. I love late season! Good luck on warwomen!

It was so windy where I was I don’t think I could’ve heard a gobble if it was more that 100 yards away. Other than the turkey, the only other game animal I saw was one squirrel and he looked like he was lost. Looks like Warwoman may not happen tomorrow after all, I may have baby duty.... if it changes I’ll keep you posted.