Chinkapin

TJay

Found this guy on our property last week. At first I thought it might be an American Chestnut tree but after a little research I believe it to be a Chinkapin, which is a type of chestnut. I haven't tried one yet but I've read that the little chestnuts are sweet and just about everything likes them. Maybe I can plant some, we got storm damage so there are some openings in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2868.JPG
    IMG_2868.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 49

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Found this guy on our property last week. At first I thought it might be an American Chestnut tree but after a little research I believe it to be a Chinkapin, which is a type of chestnut. I haven't tried one yet but I've read that the little chestnuts are sweet and just about everything likes them. Maybe I can plant some, we got storm damage so there are some openings in the woods.
Does that black round form remind you of anything? How about the dot on a shell crackers gill flap? People in Louisiana call shell crackers chinquapins.

TJay

Does that black round form remind you of anything? How about the dot on a shell crackers gill flap? People in Louisiana call shell crackers chinquapins.
For sure. I lived and fished and hunted in LA for many years and that's what most people called them. Chinky pin brim. We'd catch them with little bitty crawfish we'd seine from the ditches.

Doug B.

Chinquipins are delicious! They actually taste better to me than chestnuts. If you didn't get those while you were there then you missed your chance. They will not be there when you go back.