Christensen 7mm-08 Bolt Issue

Bear10

I took my new Christensen Mesa 7mm-08 REM to the range today to start the barrel break-in. I got everything set up and put two shells in the rifle, started closing the bolt, and for some reason the bolt would not lock down. The bolt works flawlessly without ammo in it but it will not close with a shell in it. The bolt is grabbing the ammo and ejecting properly. The ammo is Hornady brand. Has anyone heard of the Mesa having this issue?

bighonkinjeep

Without inspecting it first hand it sounds like most likely really tight headspace or slightly out of spec ammo. Is it factory ammo or reloaded Hornady brass? I'd try some different ammo or a full length resized and trimmed case first.
If its not the ammo then I'd guess a trip back to the manufacturer to have the headspace adjusted is called for.
Good luck.
BHJ

menhadenman

Call their customer support, they’ll have a tech get back to you asap. Good advice above on headspace issues. Good luck.

Bear10

It’s factory ammo and unfortunately it’s the only box I’ve bought so far. I shoot the same brand ammo in other rifles and have friends that shoot the same ammo in this caliber but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t buy a bad batch.

The bolt is going all the way forward from what I can tell, it’s just not letting the handle go down. The bolt is grabbing the shell and ejecting it as if it was a shot round or like you were unloading the rifle. I’m going to the gun shop where I purchased the rifle this morning to see what they think. Customer support will be the next step.

bighonkinjeep

The gun shop if they tinker at all may have a set of headspace gauges since most .308 based cartridges (7-08 .243 etc) use the same gauge. If they have a go gauge checking it wont take but a second.

TJay

Are both rounds in the magazine when you cycle the bolt? For instance a Remington 700 action is a push feed and you can open the bolt and drop a round in the action and push it into the chamber. Can't do that with a controlled feed, if you just drop a round into the action the bolt won't close. Both rounds would have to start in the magazine. I don't know if the Christensen is controlled feed or push feed but it's something easy to rule out.

Bear10

Took it to the gun shop and they claim it has micro burrs that need to be touched up, their gunsmith will be In Monday morning, so we will see. They said they’ve had more problems with Christensen in the past year than previous five years combine, guess I’m one of the lucky ones with issues.

bighonkinjeep

Pretty sure all reputable manufacturers test fire before shipping out firearms.
Im still thinking you have a tight headspace issue but maybe possibly a short throat. Are you by any chance trying to chamber gilding metal or copper bullets? As they are typically longer for the same weight and may hit the lands on a short throat.
I wonder if the bolt will close on a go gauge or different ammo?

As a handloader I typically like a rifle with a shorter throat/less freebore and tight headspace as long as both are within spec.

You might also try calling Christianson Arms and see if theyll tell you what ammo and weight they use for testing and try some of that.
Just a thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Meriwether Mike

I have a Sako rifle that will do that about 25% of the Fusion Ammo rounds. I assume it has a really accurate head space and the ammo is plus or minus. I use a different ammo brand and have no problem. I do confirm the fit on the rounds before hunting season each year. I put he okay rounds in my gun case for hunting so I am not messing up.

Dub

Hopefully the replacement will arrive soon and they’ll have your scope mounted and boresighted…..ready for you to hit the range again.

Dub

Me too, Jester.

Makes you wonder if QC has taken a back seat to getting guns out the door with CA.

Seems like everywhere I look....in magazine or website there are a dozen+ different CA models being listed for sale.

I've yet to see one in person. Nobody I know is shooting them.

I don't see many range reports for them online.

Was hoping the OP would provide updates and we could see how the customer service aspects of this were handled.

Deerhead

Dub, I bought a CA Ridgline this year. I have put 40 rounds down range with it. Still working on the break in process. Its starting to group 1-1.25 moa. I only have one issue. The spent case will not eject. It falls back into the chamber when opening the bolt. I contacted CA customer service and showed them a video of the shell not ejecting. We determined I need higher scope mounts. Of course they recommend their picatinny rail and rings. Since its so close to deer season that will be a January project. I will say I like everything else about the rifle...

deers2ward

Seems like everywhere I look....in magazine or website there are a dozen+ different CA models being listed for sale.

I've yet to see one in person. Nobody I know is shooting them.

I don't see many range reports for them online.

Was hoping the OP would provide updates and we could see how the customer service aspects of this were handled.
I have had 5 Christensens. A 7mm rem Mesa (sold), 7mm rem Ridgeline (sold), 7mm rem Ridgeline TI (sold), a 7mm-08 Ridgeline FFT (sold), and now a 7mm-08 Ridgeline. All were 1/3 MOA rifles with my RL-19 or RL-15 handloads. Some liked Noslers, all liked TTSX, none preferred Hornady or Sierra.

deers2ward

Dub, I bought a CA Ridgline this year. I have put 40 rounds down range with it. Still working on the break in process. Its starting to group 1-1.25 moa. I only have one issue. The spent case will not eject. It falls back into the chamber when opening the bolt. I contacted CA customer service and showed them a video of the shell not ejecting. We determined I need higher scope mounts. Of course they recommend their picatinny rail and rings. Since its so close to deer season that will be a January project. I will say I like everything else about the rifle...
You can use any Rem 700 footprint pic rail off amazon as long it matches your action length (long or short).

Dub

I have had 5 Christensens. A 7mm rem Mesa (sold), 7mm rem Ridgeline (sold), 7mm rem Ridgeline TI (sold), a 7mm-08 Ridgeline FFT (sold), and now a 7mm-08 Ridgeline. All were 1/3 MOA rifles with my RL-19 or RL-15 handloads. Some liked Noslers, all liked TTSX, none preferred Hornady or Sierra.

Interesting on the bullet preference.

What turned you off with the the other 4 rifles ?

deers2ward

Interesting on the bullet preference.

What turned you off with the the other 4 rifles ?
Nothing at all. I just enjoy the process of trying new rifle and working up loads. Only have so many spots in the safe so once I find a load and kill something with a given rifle, if it's not sentimental I often sell it to finance the next purchase and start over.

Bear10

Sorry I haven't updated on the new rifle, life has been busy!

The new rifle bolts the shell properly and shoots great with factory ammo, I've only put one box through it but with a cold barrel, you can make the bullets touch on the target, which is saying a lot for me as I'm not the best marksman.

I do have a question for the more experienced shooters that use muzzle brakes.....I took the muzzle brake off and put on a thread protector & sighted the rifle in, my question is if I decide to put the muzzle brake on, will the rifle shoot the same or will I need to resight in the rifle?