Civil war history books

hopper

Wonder if any of you could recommend a Civil War History Book. Looking for non biased and or books from the Souths points of view.
My daughter says she wants to learn about it but feels alot of resources are only telling one side of the story.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is a good one from the perspective of a private soldier.

How what age is your daughter and does she want the political history, the military history, or personal accounts of what it was like during the period?

Does she want a light overview or a deep read?

hopper

That is a good one from the perspective of a private soldier.

How what age is your daughter and does she want the political history, the military history, or personal accounts of what it was like during the period?

Does she want a light overview or a deep read?
Thanks
She is 14 but very much mature. I would think a deep read. She would be interested in all the above. This kid finishes books like they going out of style.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am going to recommend The Civil War Archive, The History of the Civil War in Documents. There is one on Amazon along with a good review of the book and reviews by earlier purchasers. It is a massive work, an edit and update by Erik Bruun of the classic The Blue ad the Gray by Henry Commager. This book has several advantages. It tells the story from the election of Lincoln on into Reconstruction. A distinct advantage is that it is broken up into bite sized pieces and gives much of the history in the words of those who lived it. It is arranged pretty well chronologically and can be read straight through but if a piece is not interesting enough it can be easily skipped over.

https://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Archive-History-Documents/dp/1579121101

They have one new one it is showing $22.02 with free shipping. There are also lots of used ones that are very very reasonable.

hopper

I am going to recommend The Civil War Archive, The History of the Civil War in Documents. There is one on Amazon along with a good review of the book and reviews by earlier purchasers. It is a massive work, an edit and update by Erik Bruun of the classic The Blue ad the Gray by Henry Commager. This book has several advantages. It tells the story from the election of Lincoln on into Reconstruction. A distinct advantage is that it is broken up into bite sized pieces and gives much of the history in the words of those who lived it. It is arranged pretty well chronologically and can be read straight through but if a piece is not interesting enough it can be easily skipped over.

https://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Archive-History-Documents/dp/1579121101

They have one new one it is showing $22.02 with free shipping. There are also lots of used ones that are very very reasonable.
Thanks Buddy just put it in my cart. I think she will like it.

Mattval

Rebel Yell by S.C Gywnn
The Real Lincoln by The Great Thomas Dilorenzo
Also for essays go to www.lewrockwell.com and search for Thomas Dilorenzo
Defending Dixe by the Great Clyde Wilson
The South was Right! by James Ronald and Walter Donald Kennedy
The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by the Great Tom Woods
The Politically Incorrect Guide to The Civil Was by H.W Crocker III

But be careful reading these. Once you start down this rabbit hole there is no going back.
Goodluck. message me if you have an questions

menhadenman

Rebel Yell by S.C Gywnn
The Real Lincoln by The Great Thomas Dilorenzo
Also for essays go to www.lewrockwell.com and search for Thomas Dilorenzo
Defending Dixe by the Great Clyde Wilson
The South was Right! by James Ronald and Walter Donald Kennedy
The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by the Great Tom Woods
The Politically Incorrect Guide to The Civil Was by H.W Crocker III

But be careful reading these. Once you start down this rabbit hole there is no going back.
Goodluck. message me if you have an questions
Any suggestions on which one to start with? I’d like to read one or two myself and share with the kids.

westcobbdog

Wonder if any of you could recommend a Civil War History Book. Looking for non biased and or books from the Souths points of view.
My daughter says she wants to learn about it but feels alot of resources are only telling one side of the story.

Best one around, imo, "Co. Aytch", by Private Sam Watkins. Fought in most of the southern battles. His first hand acct of things is a great read. I am into first hand accts of the action vs a writers research anymore.
He tells many amazing accounts of the action. One section tells of a hard battle where some southern troops broke and ran under the strain. Later this once boastful "Yeller Hammer from Alabama" unit had to walk past a large portion of the rest of the reb army, with hundreds if not thousands of rebs calling "yella hammer alabamer flicker flicker flicker" basically questioning their manhood..

hopper

Best one around, imo, "Co. Aytch", by Private Sam Watkins. Fought in most of the southern battles. His first hand acct of things is a great read. I am into first hand accts of the action vs a writers research anymore.
He tells many amazing accounts of the action. One section tells of a hard battle where some southern troops broke and ran under the strain. Later this once boastful "Yeller Hammer from Alabama" unit had to walk past a large portion of the rest of the reb army, with hundreds if not thousands of rebs calling "yella hammer alabamer flicker flicker flicker" basically questioning their manhood..
Nice. It's ordered.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We y’all are ready to read about the war in Georgia this is a good book. The writer gathered information from a variety of sources. Sherman’s memoirs, Union soldiers , Confederate soldiers, private citizens, etc. I have read several books on Sherman’s March but this one is the best by far IMO.

2730136D-D1DA-469B-B4EE-1A6F428154E2.jpeg

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
From a Southern point of view..don't get no more Southern than this!

Tough read though, would fit as Southern point of view...definitely not unbiased! 20220702_173057.jpg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Just bought it, thanks for the recommendation. Makes you wonder how they’ll rewrite history on what is going on today. Crazy.

History started to be rewritten the day after it happened. Frequently the reports of a battle from one side differed in great ways from the reports of the same battle from the other side. Human nature being what it is, perspective makes a huge difference in how a particular set of facts are viewed.

Here is another that I recommed very highly and written by a fellow from Augusta, GA. One of the very best personal accounts of the War was given by E.P. Alexander. He began his military career in the US Army before the War where he was instrumental in the development of signaling. At First Manassas he sent the very first signal message during a battle. He signaled to the Brigade on the Confederate Left to "Look out for your left your position is turned". This signal allowed Beauregard to make adjustments so as to receive the flank attack and turn the battle into the rout that it became for the Union forces. Alexander moved from the Signal Corps to the Artillery and commanded the cannonading that helped stop Burnside's repeated charges upon the stone wall at the foot of Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg and the barrage just prior to Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. He was with the Confederate Army in he East from Manassas through Appomattox Court House and was in a position to have direct and nearly constant contact with the top level command. His account is published in the book Fighting For the Confederacy. This may be the most even handed and honest treatment of the facts by any single author who had direct knowledge. He did not hold back from criticizing Lee when appropriate as many other Southern authors did.

westcobbdog

We y’all are ready to read about the war in Georgia this is a good book. The writer gathered information from a variety of sources. Sherman’s memoirs, Union soldiers , Confederate soldiers, private citizens, etc. I have read several books on Sherman’s March but this one is the best by far IMO.

View attachment 1161027
Bought a copy recently at my local library for $5 and intend to start it soon.

Gary Mercer

The national Geographic published a "Coffee Table" book called the Atlas of the Civil War.
It gives you maps, (many are actual old maps of each battle.) Many of which I had never heard. Not deep in Rhetoric, but long on detail. Great reference read.