Clark Howard: Dirt Cheap Cell Service

Fletch_W

Banned
I'm passing this along from Clark Howard.

You can get 1000 minutes and 1000 text messages for $30 amonth with a new service offered at Walmart. It's on the Verizon network so you'll have great coverage, but it's not through Verizon, it's through some other smaller company with a certain amount of leased bandwidth from Verizon.

Right now I used the best deal I can find which is 300 minutes and 100 texts for $30 a month with Iwireless they sell through Kroger stores. I don't use my cell all that much, but occassionally run out of minutes. This new thing at Walmart is the new way to go ifyou are like me and just use it a few minutes a day.

I'm just passing this along to anyone who is tired of paying $50+ a month for basic cell phone use.

And for those of you with fancier service that you like with BB's and such, Clark says don't renew any contract you have right now, the prices on all this stuff are about to hit rock bottom next year.

Fletch_W

Banned
Right, same company. According to Clark, it was a test run, and now it's going national and will be carried in most Wal Marts and they have the $30 option.

Swede

Looked into that last week. I had a plan with Sprint that was $50 ( $62 after all the junk fees and taxes) a month with only 300 minutes but it had unlimited incoming. I have a dedicated line at work that forwards to my cell. I was wearing them out for a few thousand incoming minutes a month. They don't offer that plan anymore. Anyways, I got to looking around and heard of the $50 unlimited Boost plan. I did some digging and Boost is run by Sprint off of the old Nextel towers and the service stinks.

Virgin has a unlimited talk plan for $40 a month and is suppose to be good service.

I went with Metro PCS for $45 a month unlimited everything including web, GPS, text, 411 and talk. Great service but the catch is you have to stay around Atlanta.

Why the heck do the pre paid plans have better offers than the ones with contracts??:crazy: