Cleaning up some neglected firearms

rosewood

Dang you, now I want to find another project gun to bring back to life. :)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
2nd coat of BLO this morning.
I think that I will do one more since the wood isn't absorbing much and then I am undecided if I want to give it a coating of Renaissance Wax or leave as it.
20240126_121338.jpg
20240126_121409.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
My buddy sent 2 more firearms home with me to just give a general maintenance cleaning, nothing like in the shape of the ones above....then he GAVE me the model 788 for cleaning all of them up. After 5 mins of refusing his gesture I didn't want to argue anymore and could see that it meant a lot to him for me to accept it.
Cheers to my buddy

rosewood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Model 99, ooo,ahhh. I will own one some day.
This one is in 300Sav and was given to my buddy through an Uncle of his wife's. If the scuffs, scrapes, scratches, blueing wear, and character could talk...I would pay to listen. But every screw internally and externally came out without any fuss, every piece cleaned up great, and it all went back together easy and works smoothly. It is one of those rifles that is worn from use, not neglect.

rosewood

This one is in 300Sav and was given to my buddy through an Uncle of his wife's. If the scuffs, scrapes, scratches, blueing wear, and character could talk...I would pay to listen. But every screw internally and externally came out without any fuss, every piece cleaned up great, and it all went back together easy and works smoothly. It is one of those rifles that is worn from use, not neglect.
Nice!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I cleaned up an old American Gun Co. (Crescent Arms/ H. D Folsom) 12ga Hammerless Double. Serial # has it 1909 manufacture.
Everything functions.
It has definitely been apart before and the side plates look to have been jeweled, which I couldn't find any factory guns to have after searching tons of pics and info online. Seems to have been a lot of careless home gunsmithing as the screws are boogered up too.
It has a beavertail forearm and monte carlo stock on it which I thought was odd, but they and all the parts have matching serial numbers. Mid and front beads are missing.
Blueing isn't awful, but I have gone over the barrels with a magnifying glass and cannot find even a faint roll mark regarding the type of steel used which is present on every other one I could find online.
Unfortunately someone cut an inch and a half off of the rear stock and I am going to have to add a pad on it.
The chambers are 2-3/4" which seems odd for such an early year. They may have been lengthened somewhere along the way for all I know.
I'll add more pics later when I get the barrels and stocks back on.
20240201_221800.jpg
20240201_221805.jpg
20240201_221805.jpg
20240201_221808.jpg
20240202_093750.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
After letting the stock on Model 788 dry for almost 8 weeks with the three coats of boiled linseed oil I had on it. I put a final coat of Tru-Oil on it. I wanted to give it a semi gloss finish. It worked out well. I didn't have to dull it down at all with a scrubbie or steel wool. The Tru-Oil gave it a more reddish tint which I like also. I let it dry for 3 days and put it back together.
20240327_215356.jpg