Coastal kayak fishing

Looking for recommendations on places to put the kayak in on the coast. I have put in at the Sidney Lanier bridge in Brunswick and also at Village Creek ramp on Saint Simons. I feel pretty comfortable with those two places. Are there any other places people can recommend? Looking for smaller coastal rivers with a way to access with a kayak. Anywhere from Savannah to Saint Mary’s would be great. Trying to broaden my options based on weather and conditions. Thanks.

Boat ramp on the way to Tybee before you cross the bridge. Lazaretto creek boat landing .South Newport landing. Belfast Siding, Richmond Hill WMA

sportsman94

Alley 3 on Tybee is where we used to put in. Last couple times I went we got there early. By the time we got back there was people everywhere.

Alley 3 on Tybee is where we used to put in. Last couple times I went we got there early. By the time we got back there was people everywhere.
Thank you. This kind of information is a big help. I live about 2 hours from the coast and it is really useful to learn from other people instead of a whole day to realize one spot is a no go.

Does anyone have any useful tips about the ramps KKD suggested? Just looking for advise on general things like current, shelter from the wind, people, access, or trouble spots, etc.

Jekyll Pier, head back toward the intracoastal, and fish the several creeks on your left....
I will definitely have to give that a try. I had not thought about putting the kayak in at the pier. That’s a great idea.I was thinking about trying the boat ramp close to the water park and fishing under the bridge some as well. Thank you for the idea.

Crooked River State park at Saint Mary’s

Last edited:

wag03

Don’t take this as a insult but please get familiar with the tides. I don’t think it’s dangerous but you need to know what you getting into. It seems like people drown on the south end of Tybee every year.

Redbeardless

If you fish on Tybee, just be aware of the parking fees. They are very proud of their parking and charge accordingly. I haven't fished there in a couple of years, but the last time that I was down there, you paid for your parking based upon how long you anticipated being parked. Do not let the time get away from you, it is a lot cheaper to add an hour or so to what time you anticipate being back than to pay the fine for overparking. I overstayed my visit by 10 minutes and had to pay a $40.00 fine.
If you launch from Alley 3, fish the creek to the right of the launch, then paddle across and fish the oyster bars and area across from Alley 3. Lots of fish there at times, close to open water. If it is really hot, back off from the shore and fish a little deeper. Put a line out for a tarpon. There should be some tarpon around, especially right now. If nothing else, you will have some fun with the sharks.

BriarPatch99

Ramp by Summer Waves ....several creeks on the left going north ....can continue on around and end up at the pier at Jekyll .... creeks on the right also ....

Don’t take this as a insult but please get familiar with the tides. I don’t think it’s dangerous but you need to know what you getting into. It seems like people drown on the south end of Tybee every year.
I am not insulted at all. I appreciate you caring enough to bring it up. I am not familiar with the tides around Tybee specifically but I am familiar with the Georgia coast in general. I will take all precautions that I can. You can never be too safe kayaking on the coast. Thanks.

If you fish on Tybee, just be aware of the parking fees. They are very proud of their parking and charge accordingly. I haven't fished there in a couple of years, but the last time that I was down there, you paid for your parking based upon how long you anticipated being parked. Do not let the time get away from you, it is a lot cheaper to add an hour or so to what time you anticipate being back than to pay the fine for overparking. I overstayed my visit by 10 minutes and had to pay a $40.00 fine.
If you launch from Alley 3, fish the creek to the right of the launch, then paddle across and fish the oyster bars and area across from Alley 3. Lots of fish there at times, close to open water. If it is really hot, back off from the shore and fish a little deeper. Put a line out for a tarpon. There should be some tarpon around, especially right now. If nothing else, you will have some fun with the sharks.
Holy cow that’s a pretty steep fine for a parking violation. I’ll have to remember that when I gave Tybee a try. Thanks for the advice.