Coastal North Carolina Bear Hunting

Gentleman4561

Has anyone been hunting on the coast of North Carolina for bear? I have been looking at Hyde County and thinking about making a trip.

My understanding is that dog hunting is very popular there, and it makes hunting spot/stalk style incredibly difficult.

Is that really the case? Or just folks trying to keep us Georgians out of their land?

Not looking for spots, I will find those, just looking for folks that want to share their experience.

Thanks!

Don't know about hunting out there but there's plenty and they are huge. We did a cell tower out there about 7 or 8 years ago and saw as many as 15 in one field!!! I don't remember what time of year that was but you could have easily have killed then with a bow or gun.

IIICrkRepr

We did a paid hunt with 5 guys on the south edge of the Dismal Swamp, NE portion of NC. Private ag land, enclosed tower type stands. These bear were big, been feeding on peanuts. We took home 3 of them. Guide warned us they couldn't track the bears back into the protected area of the state park so make your shot count.

Gentleman4561

Both good to know!

Gentleman4561

Looks like Pamlico county does not allow dogs, so that might be worth a scouting trip.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Can't speak for eastern NC, but definitely have experience in western NC. Once the dogs hit the ground, your chances of spot and stalking a bear are virtually zero.

lampern

Using dogs is big in North Carolina.

Georgians come and visit NC to run dogs because I don't think you can.

Good luck

menhadenman

I lived/worked in that area for several years. True story on big bears but I'd recommend lining out a guide. A DIY sort of hunt would be tough sledding if you ask me.

Rabun

Spent some time out that way working…new Bern, aurora, Kingston. It’s gnarly thick low country and I couldn’t imagine bear hunting that country without dogs. There are railway cuts all over that deer hunters hunt…not sure on legality of hunting those easements but they’ll be on the map.

NCMTNHunter

We hunted public land with dogs down there for years in Hyde and Tyrrell counties. There are a bunch of bears and plenty of big ones too. The only places you would be able to spot and stalk where we hunted would be the farms on private land. Everything public is either waist deep water or briar thickets. The only way to get through the briar thickets is to get in the bear tunnels and go. I'm not saying it can't be done but you would have to spend some time down there to figure out where you can and can't get around.

You also have to be careful about seasons and dates down there. For example bear season for Hyde and Terrell counties is nov 12-27 and dec 10-25. But you can only take bear on some of the public lands on Nov 12,14,15, and Dec 17, 19, and 20. Some the the public lands are permit only, some are wide open. You just need to do your research and make sure you know where you are.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
We hunted public land with dogs down there for years in Hyde and Tyrrell counties. There are a bunch of bears and plenty of big ones too. The only places you would be able to spot and stalk where we hunted would be the farms on private land. Everything public is either waist deep water or briar thickets. The only way to get through the briar thickets is to get in the bear tunnels and go. I'm not saying it can't be done but you would have to spend some time down there to figure out where you can and can't get around.

You also have to be careful about seasons and dates down there. For example bear season for Hyde and Terrell counties is nov 12-27 and dec 10-25. But you can only take bear on some of the public lands on Nov 12,14,15, and Dec 17, 19, and 20. Some the the public lands are permit only, some are wide open. You just need to do your research and make sure you know where you are.

All true here. I quit a job out there on day 3. Only reason I made it to day 3 was the bear tunnels. It was easier to crawl from plot to plot than trying to walk. The green flies are biblical.

Latest posts