Thoughts from this past weekend visit to deer camp

sprewett

This past weekend I had the opportunity to spend time in one of my favorite spots. Deer camp in South Georgia. Like most trips it is more than hunting. It is the camaraderie of family, reminiscing about days gone by, and talking about the prospect of the next hunt.
Down there you hear no sirens, horns blowing, and traffic. It is a special place that holds more value in medicine for my heart than meat for my freezer.
As I left Sunday morning my heart grew heavy with the fact that it will be sometime perhaps not even this deer season when I get to make the return trip. My heart also grew heavy as I drove north on the interstate and traffic increased. Deep south is slower living not so full, busy, and just overall more quiet.
As we drove into Atlanta the traffic was a bear and I could feel my mood changing from joyful to agitated. My mind raced to the quiet place I had been during the weekend and the deep longing I had to be back. Knowing my life here in a hectic, fast paced, and traffic filled area I grew more frustrated.
After dropping my Grandpa off and starting home in my truck. God really began to deal with me. What I was longing for wasn't found in a place but in a person. The Holy Spirit reminded me that everyday despite my residence that I can have a place of tranquility. I thought about Jesus and that he would pray early in the morning in a hectic environment for the quiet, I thought about the verse of "be still and know I am God". Anywhere I am my peace is found in Jesus and my heart doesn't have to be restless longing for a place but can find contentment in a person, the person of Jesus. Through my daily quiet time!
So till next time I take my medicine I will focus on finding my contentment in Jesus despite our hectic environment.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Amen, Brother.

sprewett

This morning while listening to the radio. I was listening to 90s rock. An interview with Courtney Love (widow of Nirvana's front man Kurt Kobain) and to say it was a mess would be an understatement. The radio DJ said it is normal for the course for her she is always a mess. I sat driving saddened by her longing for something she is trying to fill with substance. She is living for the next feel good or emotional high elicited by drugs.
As I was there I began to think about most (if we were honest) relationships with the Lord. That we too strive for the next feeling. We abandon the truth of God's Word to chase a feeling of emotions and base our relationship on that premise. So when the emotions aren't running high we "feel" a disconnect and rate our relationship as lacking. There are reasons for disconnect that we must be sensitive to: unrepentant sin, treating our wives poorly, and harboring unforgiveness toward a brother or sister.
Overall, I believe as I said earlier if we are honest that we strive and yearn for a feeling and emotion rather than Jesus. I was just praying this morning and explained to the Lord I felt a disconnect and He was reminding me through His Word that it isn't about feelings and then 10 minutes later that interview happened on the radio.
Praise God for truth and not feelings or experiences.
Jesus is enough!!!!!

sprewett

John 6:1-38
Jesus and his disciples were followed by a huge crowd of folks looking to see more miracles from Jesus. They were far enough into the wilderness that the crowd couldn't have gotten back to their homes to eat before succumbing to starvation. They had followed Jesus for approximately 70 miles from Jerusalem to the other side of the sea of Galilee. Their intentions were not to follow Jesus because he alone was worthy but they followed because they wanted to see and experience more of what he had to offer. Jesus performs a major miracle by taking the boys fish and bread and fed everyone until they were full. Can you imagine I have seen rednecks at an all you can eat fish buffet and they can put it away. The conversation had to be interesting as they ate. "WOW, can you believe the rabbi made all these fish, hey Ananias watch out your about to get grease on your shirt."
Fast forward to Jesus and his disciples miraculously crossing the sea of Galilee. Once again the people followed Him even farther! They ask in v.25, " Rabbi, when did you get here?". Knowing their intentions Jesus reveals their heart to themselves and explains that He is the bread of life that alone can satisfy. They then ask Jesus this in v.30, " what sign then, are you going to do so we may see and believe you?"
WOW, just wow. This is the same group that has witnessed the miraculous feeding among a multitude of other miracles that led to them following in the first place. They witnessed him basically teleporting from one side of the sea to the other. But...... It wasn't enough. While I would love to be the first to sling a few rocks at these folks. I believe we do much of the same. We follow Jesus for a multitude of reasons that are saturated around what He does and can do instead of following for Jesus, himself. Miracles, signs, fulfilment, happiness, experiences, and even church are never enough but Jesus He alone is enough and all the other things are just extras.
Why are you following Jesus?