Coming soon

godogs57

Had some folks here ask about a file blade. Ground two yesterday and both took a great heat treat and temper today. My first Kinchafoonee Hunter using a vintage file and dropped a Canadian Skinner in the forge for good measure. The Kinch was made from an old Nicholson file while the Canadian Skinner was made from a very old Simonds file. Stabilized walnut going on the Kinch. Thinking Tasmanian Blackwood for the Canadian. Note the temper lines in both. Hard, tough cutting edge, softer spine for flexibility. Just right. I’ll post the “after” pics soon’ish.

IMG_0080.jpeg

turkeykirk

Looks great

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That Canadian is gonna be really something.

I'm partial to the Kinch myself. In fact I'm drooling on mine right now. I can't wait for deer season to get here! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tjchurch

I like that Kinch too. Looking forward to seeing those two come together.

Big7

The Oracle
Can't wait to see you finish ANOTHER MASTERPIECE !! The quality of you work can not even be measured.

Old files were made of O-1 tool steel. A lot of stamping die sections that cut steel were made of O-1 as well because they were easy to heat treat and could easily get into the 60's on the HRC hardness scale. Easy to anneal and re-harden. too.