Concert Anyone????????

357mag

Well I got a wild hair to take my lovely bride to a concert. We haven't been to one in several years. So I went to Ticket Master Web Site and there on the front page was an ad for Jimmy Buffet at Lakewood. I put in my information and it came back and said that there were none available but their partner Tickets Now had them. The web site then took me to Tickets Now. The seats start at 81.00 for the lawn and go up to $700.00 for near-fron-row! This does not include the $30.00/ea "service charge" or the 15.00 shipping fee. (It’s a freaking 41-cent letter!

We went to a Buffett concert about three years ago- and to sit in the same section that we did then for about $60.00 is now going to cost $235.00 EA! Now I know that there has been some inflation, but for that much money ol' Jimmy better pick me up personally in his helicopter, fly me to the show, and then take me on back to his place in the Keys for some fishing on his boat! Heck, I wouldn’t pay $700.00 to see (the real) Elvis sing!- Not even if he were accompanied by all four Beatles!

Then I wondered if the outrageous prices were just because it was Jimmy Buffett. So I went back to Ticketmaster and there was a concert with Kenney Chesney and Leann Rimes at Turner Field. I put in my info and it cam back with $106.00 each, plus 13.90 “convenience charge” plus $4.00 “facility charge.” I’m sure there is also a shipping charge but I didn’t go that far. ARE THESE PEOPLE FREAKING CRAZY??????

Well, I guess not. The people that are freaking crazy are the ones that pay these outrageous prices. Like I said, I know there has been inflation but we used to go to stuff like this for 15 – 20 bucks. Prices on other things has doubled, maybe even tripled since then, but this is an increase of more than 5 TIMES. And WTH is this “convenience charge” , “service charge” and “facility charge” crapBS anyway? Convenience for whom? Service for whom? The promoter guys that rents the stadium is paying the “facility charge.”

Now I know the cause of all the mortgage foreclosures; these homebuyers are all concert-goers.
I just guess my concert days are over.:banginghe

Last edited:

GonePhishn

you should look around Craigslist ATL -- there are tons of people selling Buffett tickets -- and no convenience charges ! But you are exactly right, they have gotten out of control with the pricing & charges for tickets. This is why Pearl Jam boycotted Ticketmaster all those years ago...the bands get screwed, the fans overpay, and the promoters make millions...something is wrong !

millhouse

The band has to make money and so do the promoters who pay the bands. The Eagles concerts in alpharetta that are this week and into next week. Guess how much the Eagles gaurantee is per show? It just makes the 7 figure mark. 1 million per show-they charge it and get it wherever they play.

The only way to get cheaper overall shows is if nobody shows up-that means only 30-50% of sell out capacity.
On big tours like that the bands make the same regardless of how many people attend the shows. The promoter will lose their butt on advertising and lack of ticket sales.

Where the bands really make good money is on merchandising. The problem with that though is the arena or ampitheatre usually take 25-40% of total sale of items.
Shirt cost $5 sell 40$-venue takes $15 now at $25. Merch managers for tours make at least $1500 big tours. Pay him a percentage,pay the kid working the booth ,you clear $7-9 a shirt.

They make big money but they take even bigger money to run.

When the Rolling Stones toured a couple of years ago. Their crew trucks totalled 80 rigs, and 9 busses. thats
100k a week just to pay the drivers of the rigs.

Food for thought.

357mag

I went to see Buffett at Lakewood three, maybe it was 4 years ago and the tickets were 65.00. I'm quite sure that everyone involved was making a lot of money then. Now those same tickets will cost over 200.00. There is no justification for a 300% increase in 3 or 4 years-

Maybe these bands are all owned by OPEC.:confused: