Congressional NIL legislation

bullgator

I just read today that 3 members of Congress have proposed to develop legislation, the FAIR College Sports Act. FAIR stands for Fairness, Accountability, and Integrity in Representation. The three representatives are Gus Bilirakis R/Fl, Debbie Dingell D/Mi, and Ben Ray Lujan D/NM. Bilirakis is my Rep.
I’m not sure having the federal government getting involved is the best route to a solution, but even they recognize the cluster…….that’s become college sports. I’m guessing any attempts to put the cat back into the bag by the NCAA and universities would get derailed by money hungry agents at this point.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I just read today that 3 members of Congress have proposed to develop legislation, the FAIR College Sports Act. FAIR stands for Fairness, Accountability, and Integrity in Representation. The three representatives are Gus Bilirakis R/Fl, Debbie Dingell D/Mi, and Ben Ray Lujan D/NM. Bilirakis is my Rep.
I’m not sure having the federal government getting involved is the best route to a solution, but even they recognize the cluster…….that’s become college sports. I’m guessing any attempts to put the cat back into the bag by the NCAA and universities would get derailed by money hungry agents at this point.
Ask yourself, what have they got right.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
What do y’all think about Kirby proposed relative to the portal? Give them two options, sign for one year and you can transfer at the end of that year with the understanding your roster spot is not guaranteed. Or you can sign for two or three years and your spot is locked up and guaranteed but you can’t transfer until after that. Makes sense to me.

bullgator

It’s a double edged sword to me. Something needs to be done, but as I said, I’m not a fan of the feds taking control. Likewise, the current situation seems like the inmates running the asylum. The schools and NCAA don’t know whether to poop or go blind.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It just needs shut off but the TV interests are large and in charge. I dont care where they play there is no loyalty or appreciation of a free education. How much money can they make rules. It’s semipro ball with a school name stuck on it.

DAWG1419

Probably make most of them vote republican for the rest of their lives once they understand they are gonna have less moneys

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
What do y’all think about Kirby proposed relative to the portal? Give them two options, sign for one year and you can transfer at the end of that year with the understanding your roster spot is not guaranteed. Or you can sign for two or three years and your spot is locked up and guaranteed but you can’t transfer until after that. Makes sense to me.
I think the school is making an investment in them that is increasing the value. A contract obligation seems appropriate.

ClemsonRangers

I think the school is making an investment in them that is increasing the value. A contract obligation seems appropriate.
the schools dont want a contract with the players directly is why they are trying to get them paid 3rd party

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I ask what right the .gov has to get involved with the NIL.

Not that I've ever been an endorser of the NIL as I foresaw what has become the outcome.

MudDucker

Staff member
What could go wrong with "We are from the government and we are here to help."

After the court ruled that NIL is a property right of the student, I don't see how Congress can change that. So this is probably virtue signaling.

bullgator

It just needs shut off but the TV interests are large and in charge. I dont care where they play there is no loyalty or appreciation of a free education. How much money can they make rules. It’s semipro ball with a school name stuck on it.
You are exactly right, and something many of us warned would happen. I’ve debated the few that argued that players were being cheated because a free college education complete with meals, tutoring, lodging, and medical wasn’t enough. At first they seemed to just want them to have some pocket money accounts for entertainment, dates, transportation, etc. Well look what it’s become.
If it’s not reeled in soon it will destroy college football and quite possibly take down college athletics with it.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
.Gov sees the money in the sport and wants their cut..

Greedy commies!

weagle

Free tuition, room and board can be estimated to be $40 K per year and that's giving the school full value for the overpriced tuition.

The athletic talent and money generated by the player is far in excess of $200 K per year / player. For about 1% of the players that go pro, their value will go up, but for that 1%, their value to the school is far more than $1 million / year.

Now that the NCAA has lost control of it's cash cow and are forced to admit that big time college football is not an amateur sport. They will probably also end their absurd rule that schools can only sign players from year to year.

Multi year contracts with non competes is how the real world runs.

However that won't stop what's coming. The organization behind "college" football is going to be completely transformed over the next 2-3 seasons. The teams will separate from the college proper and become a licensed pro team. The product on the field will look the same and the average fan won't notice a change other than the teams will be more stable and more players will stay in the "college" league rather than jumping to the NFL because of the $ and college lifestyle. (plus a multi-year contract could force the NFL to pay a buyout) I suspect you'll have some players that will stay in the "college" game as long as possible. For instance a Bo Nix type player would probably love to stay at Oregon for a couple more years.

Latest posts