Congressional NIL legislation

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Free tuition, room and board can be estimated to be $40 K per year and that's giving the school full value for the overpriced tuition.

The athletic talent and money generated by the player is far in excess of $200 K per year / player. For about 1% of the players that go pro, their value will go up, but for that 1%, their value to the school is far more than $1 million / year.

Now that the NCAA has lost control of it's cash cow and are forced to admit that big time college football is not an amateur sport. They will probably also end their absurd rule that schools can only sign players from year to year.

Multi year contracts with non competes is how the real world runs.

However that won't stop what's coming. The organization behind "college" football is going to be completely transformed over the next 2-3 seasons. The teams will separate from the college proper and become a licensed pro team. The product on the field will look the same and the average fan won't notice a change other than the teams will be more stable and more players will stay in the "college" league rather than jumping to the NFL because of the $ and college lifestyle. (plus a multi-year contract could force the NFL to pay a buyout) I suspect you'll have some players that will stay in the "college" game as long as possible. For instance a Bo Nix type player would probably love to stay at Oregon for a couple more year.
I don’t doubt you’re right. Thats when I quit spending bucks to watch it. I dont watch NFL regularly now.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bullgator

Free tuition, room and board can be estimated to be $40 K per year and that's giving the school full value for the overpriced tuition.

The athletic talent and money generated by the player is far in excess of $200 K per year / player. For about 1% of the players that go pro, their value will go up, but for that 1%, their value to the school is far more than $1 million / year.

Now that the NCAA has lost control of it's cash cow and are forced to admit that big time college football is not an amateur sport. They will probably also end their absurd rule that schools can only sign players from year to year.

However that won't stop what's coming. The organization behind "college" football is going to be completely transformed over the next 2-3 seasons. The teams will separate from the college proper and become a licensed pro team. The product on the field will look the same and the average fan won't notice a change other than the teams will be more stable and more players will stay in the "college" league rather than jumping to the NFL because of the $ and college lifestyle. (plus a multi-year contract could force the NFL to pay a buyout) I suspect you'll have some players that will stay in the "college" game as long as possible. For instance a Bo Nix type player would probably love to stay at Oregon for a couple more years.
So a free education with all the perks of a D1 football player isn’t why the kids go there is what you’re admitting. The kids want to use the school for that 1% chance,….and now for the 3-4 years of money now rather than an education that could sustain them for life. Got it!. The NIL and the portal are going to severely hurt college football and drag down all college athletics with it. The real victims will be the 99% that needed access to the education. I won’t shed a tear if/when this blows up in their face and they want the good ol days back. The athletes of other non profitable sports should be realizing their future is in jeopardy.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way

However that won't stop what's coming. The organization behind "college" football is going to be completely transformed over the next 2-3 seasons. The teams will separate from the college proper and become a licensed pro team. The product on the field will look the same and the average fan won't notice a change other than the teams will be more stable and more players will stay in the "college" league rather than jumping to the NFL because of the $ and college lifestyle. (plus a multi-year contract could force the NFL to pay a buyout) I suspect you'll have some players that will stay in the "college" game as long as possible. For instance a Bo Nix type player would probably love to stay at Oregon for a couple more years.
Lord have mercy how your tune has changed since this started. The kids won't even be in college, or at least won't HAVE to be to be on the team.

And the "product" on the field may LOOK the same, but it won't be. Again, MANY CFB fans support the SCHOOL not necessarily the sport, although we all love it. When it no longer the "schools" team, or at least will only be in name only, how many will say to heck with it, as several of us here are? And what of the boosters? When it's realized, and YOU and others like you certainly haven't, that virtually ALL the money is now going to support that new team and league, and only a mere fraction of it is going g back to the schools in licensing fees, what then? Will the boosters continue supporting it, or will they continue to support the school? And what about ALL the other things the schools do with all that TV, bowls game, ticket, concessions, etc revenue? ALL of that will be GONE to support the team and league.

And don't forget Basketball as well. ALL THAT money will be gone as well because it's going the same way.Y'all are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and are too stupid to even realize it.

The only questions left to be answered are, how long will it survive, how much damage will it do to the schools and all the things they did with that revenue, and how long will it take to put the pieces back together again once y'all sober up?

weagle

So a free education with all the perks of a D1 football player isn’t why the kids go there is what you’re admitting. The kids want to use the school for that 1% chance,….and now for the 3-4 years of money now rather than an education that could sustain them for life. Got it!. The NIL and the portal are going to severely hurt college football and drag down all college athletics with it. The real victims will be the 99% that needed access to the education. I won’t shed a tear if/when this blows up in their face and they want the good ol days back. The athletes of other non profitable sports should be realizing their future is in jeopardy.
I'd like to know how my tune has changed? I've predicted , and promoted this years ago when most everyone was saying it would never happen and the players were greedy for wanting compensation based on their talent and value to the school. I also said that the solution would be for the teams to separate from the university and NCAA as a licensed sports team. I also said that most fans wouldn't care. All of those things are true.

That's pure nonsense about the fans supporting the school,not the team. 80+ percent of dawg fans never went to UGA and their one and only interest is the football team. Just like the majority of Braves fans don't give a rip about Atlanta other than they probably avoid it.

If for some reason it just tears you up that people with rare and valuable talent that is in high demand get compensated for said talent then so be it. That's the American dream and capitalism. Just like Baseball and Golf and Musical talent and driving a race car.

weagle

Lets take a look at what I said 3 years ago:

Screenshot 2024-01-21 11.05.09 PM.png

ddgarcia

Lets take a look at what I said 3 years ago:

View attachment 1284292
Lets look at what ELSE you said and is direct to my point here

I agree, but the NFL, NCAA and state law does not allow it. And there's no way the colleges want to give up their monopoly on the best and most valuable talent. Do you think any college could compete for the best talent if there was a professional farm league? Hint, look at Baseball.
Yes look at baseball and you will see what you are creating. And ALL that revenue will leave the school to go to THAT league to support it and it's owners. And if you THINK that should the schools try to "own" those teams, you'd better guess again. The rest of athletics will have it tied up for years in litigation over the implications of trying to circumvent Title IX.

And since the courts have shown they are on the side of the athletes in this, my money's on the rest of athletics winning, not y'all that think you're too smart for the rest of us.

bullgator

I'd like to know how my tune has changed? I've predicted , and promoted this years ago when most everyone was saying it would never happen and the players were greedy for wanting compensation based on their talent and value to the school. I also said that the solution would be for the teams to separate from the university and NCAA as a licensed sports team. I also said that most fans wouldn't care. All of those things are true.

That's pure nonsense about the fans supporting the school,not the team. 80+ percent of dawg fans never went to UGA and their one and only interest is the football team. Just like the majority of Braves fans don't give a rip about Atlanta other than they probably avoid it.

If for some reason it just tears you up that people with rare and valuable talent that is in high demand get compensated for said talent then so be it. That's the American dream and capitalism. Just like Baseball and Golf and Musical talent and driving a race car.
You quoted the wrong person.
You’ve been pretty consistent about wanting this ‘inmates running the asylum‘ mess we’ve got now. I’m sorry players don’t think their college educations aren’t worth 3-4 football seasons.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You quoted the wrong person.
You’ve been pretty consistent about wanting this ‘inmates running the asylum‘ mess we’ve got now. I’m sorry players don’t think their college educations aren’t worth 3-4 football seasons.
What’s a degree in “general studies” really worth ?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Their "rare" and "valuable" talent isn't all that + a basket of chips in the long run. They call it the Not For Long for a reason.

I'm old school. I had classes with guys on the foobaw and round ball teams. They were my CLASSMATES and that was the incentive for me.

I haven't watched a real pro football game in over 30 years and I have no interest in watching a bunch of overpaid 18 year old punks play professional football light. I'm certain I am not alone and it's alumni my age that give the most to the alum fund.

I don't really care how it turns out. Once it's made the switch to pro ball I'll be done with all team sports and that's OK because deer season is a lot more important to me these days.

bullgator

DannyW

Point 1: FWIW...I have been part of this conversation for awhile, and I don't think @weagle has changed or flip-flopped his position much at all. And I will agree with his scenario of the natural evolution will be a break away from the schools and being tied to them in name only.

Point 2: To answer weagle's question, I did a quick search and found that having a general college education is worth, depending on your source, $25k-$40k a year more in salary than just a high school diploma. In addition, the unemployment rate is about 1/2 (2.2% vs 4%) that for those who don't have a degree. There is also home ownership, health insurance quality, and general lifestyle advantages that come more easily with a college degree.

That's ROUGHLY $1.0 million to $1.5 million over a 30-40 year working career.

Of course, some non-degreed people do very, very well financially. And some degreed people are on the street living in cardboard boxes. A college degree is not a guarantee to have a better life, but it gives you a solid foundation.

As a general rule, I think the free degree that colleges are offering their student athletes IS worth a great deal of money, and provides an opportunity that a lot of kids just would not get otherwise.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

weagle

Point 1: FWIW...I have been part of this conversation for awhile, and I don't think @weagle has changed or flip-flopped his position much at all. And I will agree with his scenario of the natural evolution will be a break away from the schools and being tied to them in name only.

Point 2: To answer weagle's question, I did a quick search and found that having a general college education is worth, depending on your source, $25k-$40k a year more in salary than just a high school diploma. In addition, the unemployment rate is about 1/2 (2.2% vs 4%) that for those who don't have a degree. There is also home ownership, health insurance quality, and general lifestyle advantages that come more easily with a college degree.

That's ROUGHLY $1.0 million to $1.5 million over a 30-40 year working career.

Of course, some non-degreed people do very, very well financially. And some degreed people are on the street living in cardboard boxes. A college degree is not a guarantee to have a better life, but it gives you a solid foundation.

As a general rule, I think the free degree that colleges are offering their student athletes IS worth a great deal of money, and provides an opportunity that a lot of kids just would not get otherwise.

Just my opinion and YMMV.
I'm living proof of Point 2:
I got my business degree on a full ride to Auburn in the early 80's. I graduated with honors, and was Academic All SEC. I was the first person in my extended family to go to college and football gave me that opportunity. It was a life changing opportunity and I took advantage of it. I was never close to NFL level talent, but I had team mates like Bo Jackson and HOF members Steve Wallace and Kevin Green among many others who were.

That was also about the time that the concept of the "student Athlete" became a farce. Coaches and assistants signed million dollar contracts and Millions $$$ from Nike, Russell and other corporations along with the TV networks started pouring into the programs, College football became a full on pro league with hundreds of millions of compensation going to everyone involved in building a successful program except for the actual talent. The talent had one choice, take the full ride scholarship and zero other compensation (you couldn't even hold a real outside job) or the NCAA wouldn't let you participate in the only venue that held out the hope of millions to the 1% that could make the NFL.

I had conversations with SEC athletic directors as far back as 2006 that they better get out in front of the issue or the entire thing was going to become and unmanageable mess, These were friends, but they always gave me the "sanctity of the student athlete and amateur sports" along with the "Value of the education and possible NFL future" excuse for doing nothing. Of course they were married to they system and making millions themselves.

I have zero respect for the NCAA but for college football fans there are plans to straighten this out that are independent of NCAA control. As long as you can get past the fact that your favorite player is actually getting paid well to generate millions in revenue for your favorite school "college" football has a future,

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Letting boys who can't legally drink and shouldn't be able to legally vote set the rules for NCAA athletics.... Nope.

ddgarcia

As long as you can get past the fact that your favorite player is actually getting paid well to generate millions in revenue for your favorite school "college" football has a future
You were doing good right up to here. All those millions will no longer be going to the schools. They will now go to NFL/NBA Lite just as happens with MLB Lite. The only revenue the schools will see anymore will be the licensing fee paid to them for their name and rent for the stadiums. And they will only get that for as long as those leagues try to hold on to "It's still college ball".

It won't be and we all know it. Thise teams will contract the best of the not quite good enough for the next level to support those that are and you're not going to have 10-15yr college students. Those teams will no longer play legitimate college teams any more than NFL teams play college teams. So all that revenue that those smaller schools enjoy will be gone.

No, the only ones left making any money will be the owners of those "new" teams, same as the NFL/NBA owners. At least in the beginning. Where it goes long term is anybodies guess.

bullgator

I have zero respect for the NCAA but for college football fans there are plans to straighten this out that are independent of NCAA control. As long as you can get past the fact that your favorite player is actually getting paid well to generate millions in revenue for your favorite school "college" football has a future,
You better hope that any attempt to “straighten this out” has the best interest of the fans first and foremost. It’s the fans that are the only money sources that really count………and college football fans are a different animal than pro fans.
There’s one great thing about the good old USA, we have plenty of ways and places to spend our disposable income and the freedom to choose where.

weagle

You better hope that any attempt to “straighten this out” has the best interest of the fans first and foremost. It’s the fans that are the only money sources that really count………and college football fans are a different animal than pro fans.
There’s one great thing about the good old USA, we have plenty of ways and places to spend our disposable income and the freedom to choose where.
No one wants to kill the golden goose. All parties involved understand that the Billions that flow into the sport are contingent on maintaining the fan base, and that's why the universities will continue to see the same or more money flowing in. The product on the field will be the Ga Bulldogs, Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers etc. When the universities started spending hundreds of millions on Coaches, practice facilities etc, their revenues grew, they didn't shrink. The same will happen with players getting paid and I predict an even stronger fan loyalty because multi-year player contracts will lead to a more cohesive and recognizable team for multiple years. Not just one and done. 5 to 6 year eligibility seems to be the goal.

Basically all involved realize the cat is out of the bag, there's no going back to pretending Big time college football is amateur sport, and the players are going to get paid. They are all just battling over how to best protect the sport (meaning the money it produces) and structure the league now that the NCAA can't control it.

Last edited: