Transfer portal, NILs, Death of the NCAA etc

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a NFL game. Been at least a decade.
Then I don't see how you'll like this, with players "pimp'n" product XYZ every time you turn around, them and their families whining about contracts and such and constantly jumping ship on a moments notice when someone else wants to "buy" them.

ddgarcia

You can hate it, disagree with the reasons, act like it's not happening, but that won't change what is coming down the pike.
Never said it would but they ARE killing the goose that laid the golden egg as many like myself will simply tune out and find other activities

bullgator

I'm not sure why folks have a problem with the players on their team being paid when the Coaches on the sidelines are paid millions. Heck a position coach makes well into 6 figures sometimes 7 figures.
The university doesn’t pay the students either, but they do pay the professors that teach them.
Then THAT is an NFL problem not a college one. They are simply using the colleges as a free bush league. A research student does not own the majority, if in fact any, of the intellectual property he may create while in college, the school does unless mistaken. Why should it be any different for athletes?

Again, you want NFL Lite, fine,. Let the NFL start a "bush league", but GET OUT of College athletics.
Exactly right. Every attempt at creating a professional or alternative sub league has failed. Going as far back as the USFL and Arena Football. Those that want to benefit from it want to do so with the funding, infrastructure, and safety net of the university system. And how long before they aren’t happy with 100K/ year? And are they only allowed to play 4 years or can they be a 10 year minor league?
Eighteen year old players coming out of high school, the vast majority of them without the money or academics to go to college, are given an opportunity by playing sports. The can choose to forego the college route if they feel it’s unfair and train on their own until they’re ready to go pro.
The bottom line is, it’s the paying fans that keep the athletic departments operating......and just from this forum, it seems like an awful lot of those fans would lose interest in supporting such a venture.

atlashunter

Then I don't see how you'll like this, with players "pimp'n" product XYZ every time you turn around, them and their families whining about contracts and such and constantly jumping ship on a moments notice when someone else wants to "buy" them.

The schools with the largest and wealthiest fanbase will be the ones doing the buying. They will dominate the rest. Is it fair that numbers and money means you have greater influence and can get better products? Is it fair to put a thumb on the scale to ensure that isn't the case? Coaches have been free to go where they are best compensated for their talents. Should they also be denied that freedom?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Just win baby!

ddgarcia

The schools with the largest and wealthiest fanbase will be the ones doing the buying. They will dominate the rest. Is it fair that numbers and money means you have greater influence and can get better products? Is it fair to put a thumb on the scale to ensure that isn't the case? Coaches have been free to go where they are best compensated for their talents. Should they also be denied that freedom?
A coaches contract is with the school, his employer. These kids, Ewers for example, does NOT have a contract with the school, his SUPPOSED "employer", he has one with a Sports Marketing Agent/Agency.

If you can't see the difference and the problems it will cause/is causing you're blind.

atlashunter

Maybe they should just shut down college football recruiting altogether? All these years a winning program like Alabama or OU could go to other states with a larger talent pool like Texas and recruit their best players and still sell their programs as a product of their states and their universities. Texas lost the students that otherwise likely would have gone to college in state. The rich in terms of wins just kept getting richer because year after year they had their pick of high school talent from across the country. Is that an even playing field? Originally schools just formed their teams out of the best students they had in the student body and that would be a more true representation of the school but that hasn't been the case in living memory. I'm not saying how it should be. All I'm saying is no matter how you set the rules it will put some programs at an advantage and others at a disadvantage.

atlashunter

A coaches contract is with the school, his employer. These kids, Ewers for example, does NOT have a contract with the school, his SUPPOSED "employer", he has one with a Sports Marketing Agent/Agency.

If you can't see the difference and the problems it will cause/is causing you're blind.

Whether they are paid directly by the school or by entities representing/marketing to the fan base the talent is still going where the money is. The money is still in the game either way.

ddgarcia

Maybe they should just shut down college football recruiting altogether? All these years a winning program like Alabama or OU could go to other states with a larger talent pool like Texas and recruit their best players and still sell their programs as a product of their states and their universities. Texas lost the students that otherwise likely would have gone to college in state. The rich in terms of wins just kept getting richer because year after year they had their pick of high school talent from across the country. Is that an even playing field? Originally schools just formed their teams out of the best students they had in the student body and that would be a more true representation of the school but that hasn't been the case in living memory. I'm not saying how it should be. All I'm saying is no matter how you set the rules it will put some programs at an advantage and others at a disadvantage.
I'm not concerned about one school being better than another. Always has been one or several and always will be. It's about the difference between being an amateur student athlete and a paid professional athlete.

ddgarcia

Whether they are paid directly by the school or by entities representing/marketing to the fan base the talent is still going where the money is. The money is still in the game either way.
How exactly is one supposed to run a business (manage a sports franchise) when your "employees" have ZERO contractual obligation to it?????!!!!!! And in fact have a contractual obligation to someone else who's o ly Co corn is pimping them out for as much as they can get?

atlashunter

How exactly is one supposed to run a business (manage a sports franchise) when your "employees" have ZERO contractual obligation to it?????!!!!!! And in fact have a contractual obligation to someone else who's o ly Co corn is pimping them out for as much as they can get?

Guess we will find out won't we?

ddgarcia

This could be the rebirth of the original pay to play school, SMU! :LOL:
It's not even that RT. That WAS the "school" paying them, this is not. That's why Ewers left OSU, because Day wouldn't guarantee him playing time in order to make his NIL valuable. Then they were getting paid regardless. All they had to do was show up. Now it's not enough to just show up. Now they NEED to be seen as well.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
It's not even that RT. That WAS the "school" paying them, this is not. That's why Ewers left OSU, because Day wouldn't guarantee him playing time in order to make his NIL valuable. Then they were getting paid regardless. All they had to do was show up. Now it's not enough to just show up. Now they NEED to be seen as well.
I was mostly joking but I agree with your posts about the difficulties around what's happening, how it will be managed, and it's effect on the school and the athletes.

weagle

It's really not that complex. The players will be added to the payroll that currently pays the coaches and Athletic Dept staff. The separation into a stand alone league will be because the universities can't treat the football team differently than the women's rowing team if they are all a part of the university. But they aren't going to walk away from the money and thus the licensing arrangement.

ddgarcia

It's really not that complex. The players will be added to the payroll that currently pays the coaches and Athletic Dept staff. The separation into a stand alone league will be because the universities can't treat the football team differently than the women's rowing team if they are all a part of the university. But they aren't going to walk away from the money and thus the licensing arrangement.
1) That's not what NIL is. They are not employees of the school. They are student athletes who are profiting (trying to) from others on the school's dime. They might be trying to .ove towards what you are suggesting, but that's not what "this" is.

2) I doubt the model you are suggesting works either for the same reason you cite. It would be unfair to the other, non revenue generating sports/athletes and therefore violate Title IX (?) X(?), whichever deals with this IMO.

weagle

The NIL is only the small first step. All the rest is coming up quickly.

It is coming, some may not like it walk away as fans, but because it will still look the same on Saturday, most won't care.

srb

Ah yes...the Buford football program. The community who just so happens to have the best football talent in the state.

I just assumed that their water had magic football power in it.

Best team money could buy for years.

Bufords cup runs over & over the cup is pouring $
Here in the real world it’s called crazy money,Also there is many many more around the state..
The sad part is some of the other schools in the counties can’t compete$
Its night & day difference…

Doboy Dawg

Camden Co. HS is unique in the fact of Kings Bay Naval Base is included. Camden has been able to “recruit Navy wide” for talented athletes.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
They do not need to develop their skills for the next level when the skills at the current level are worth millions.

Then they need to go pro right now.

weagle

Then they need to go pro right now.

I agree, but the NFL, NCAA and state law does not allow it. And there's no way the colleges want to give up their monopoly on the best and most valuable talent. Do you think any college could compete for the best talent if there was a professional farm league? Hint, look at Baseball.