Congressional NIL legislation

bullgator

No one wants to kill the golden goose. All parties involved understand that the Billions that flow into the sport are contingent on maintaining the fan base, and that's why the universities will continue to see the same or more money flowing in. The product on the field will be the Ga Bulldogs, Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers etc. When the universities started spending hundreds of millions on Coaches, practice facilities etc, their revenues grew, they didn't shrink. The same will happen with players getting paid and I predict an even stronger fan loyalty because multi-year player contracts will lead to a more cohesive and recognizable team for multiple years. Not just one and done. 5 to 6 year eligibility seems to be the goal.

Basically all involved realize the cat is out of the bag, there's no going back to pretending Big time college football is amateur sport, and the players are going to get paid. They are all just battling over how to best protect the sport (meaning the money it produces) and structure the league now that the NCAA can't control it.
We have differing opinions of how fans will react (accept) these changes to the sport we’ve loved. Speaking for myself, if the team is only associated with the university in name, image, and likeness and not through enrolled student athletes, they can count me out. I have less than zero desire to get excited about or support a minor league team of constantly changing rosters.
So far, those of us that had warned of this letting the cat out of the bag have been right,…..college football today is a cluster….

ClemsonRangers

colleges can shut it down if they refuse to participate

no one is being forced to buy players

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Jim Baker

Staff member
"Free agency". They sign a 3 year contract and can opt for right to negotiate only in the 4th year.

NO redshirting, 4 seasons and you are out. School signing free agent repays the original school of record for value of education and for value of football training.

Provide players some type of indemnity for career ending injury.

Just some thoughts

Madsnooker

At some point the adults in the room will set rules and guidelines for nil as well as the transfer portal. The transfer portal more so in timing of it. It's stupid to have the portal open during bowl season. It should only be open once a year right after spring semester.
Nil guidelines will fix many issues with 1 being no opting out of games. If you sign an nil you will participate in all functions excluding injuries.

Madsnooker

"Free agency". They sign a 3 year contract and can opt for right to negotiate only in the 4th year.

NO redshirting, 4 seasons and you are out. School signing free agent repays the original school of record for value of education and for value of football training.

Just some thoughts
I think some form of this is what we are headed for. Good thoughts

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
At some point the adults in the room will set rules and guidelines for nil as well as the transfer portal. The transfer portal more so in timing of it. It's stupid to have the portal open during bowl season. It should only be open once a year right after spring semester.
Nil guidelines will fix many issues with 1 being no opting out of games. If you sign an nil you will participate in all functions excluding injuries.
Unfortunately, this will not happen until NFL Lite is formed. The courts have ruled repeatedly in favor of the players not being restricted in their "earning potential". No different than an old car, stamp or baseball card. Their "value" is whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay.

The court has also ruled, for now pending litigation, that the players can not be "punished"(made to sit out a year) for multiple transfers as it interferes with said "earning potential". This currently only applies to the annual migration we ate currently seeing but I predict possibly as early as this season we will see a player challenge that when a playoff bound team wants/needs that player and the "collective" is willing to pay him. Anyone wanna bet what the outcome of that suit will be?

No, the only resolution to this is the formation of NFL Lite, with the same structure as the NFL. No longer will schools recruit players, actually the schools will not even be involved as they'll be their own league, but you'll have a High School draft. Teenagers will have to decide if they're going to declare for the draft or take their chances going the "traditional" route with what will be left of the true college teams. Kids that "declare" will be left with no say where they play same as NFL drafted players. This will be the point where the madness ends, the transfers stop and the NIL money dries up. This is the point where they will finally be committed to,contracted with and actually paid by the team and not just a SMA(Sports Marketing Agent).

ClemsonRangers

Just some thoughts
schools dont want to sign contracts directly with student athletes

i dont think they ever will

who will the contract be with?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Nil guidelines will fix many issues with 1 being no opting out of games. If you sign a nil you will participate in all functions excluding injuries.
To include some kind of insurance policy if they are injured seriously and can’t play anymore

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
To include some kind of insurance policy if they are injured seriously and can’t play anymore
Pffftttt.. Long term or Short Term Disability is something the player should pay into. Just like us working class folks. Just like health insurance. They can renew yearly. They want it a business. Treat it like one. ;)

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I haven't watched a real pro football game in over 30 years and I have no interest in watching a bunch of overpaid 18 year old punks play professional football light. I'm certain I am not alone and it's alumni my age that give the most to the alum fund.

I don't really care how it turns out. Once it's made the switch to pro ball I'll be done with all team sports and that's OK because deer season is a lot more important to me these days.

College football is the last sport I watch. I was the biggest baseball fanatic out there until the game completely changed and became unrecognizable from the sport I grew up watching. Pro football lost me when they decided to be SJW's. I hate soccer. Basketball is also boring to me. I know college football ain't far behind......and that makes me sad cause I absolutely love Saturday afternoons watching football from noon until midnight on the back patio with a tub full of beer and a buncha friends over.

Jim Baker

Staff member
schools dont want to sign contracts directly with student athletes

i dont think they ever will

who will the contract be with?
NIL money would still be there. The college and player would only agree on the value of the education and training.

The brand "College Football" is already wounded by the lack of loyalty to the school by players.

There is certainly no simple solution.

bullgator

NIL money would still be there. The college and player would only agree on the value of the education and training.

The brand "College Football" is already wounded by the lack of loyalty to the school by players.

There is certainly no simple solution.
The fans have more control over this than they realize. But getting them to work in unison to fix this is like getting American voters to fix national politics.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Pffftttt.. Long term or Short Term Disability is something the player should pay into. Just like us working class folks. Just like health insurance. They can renew yearly. They want it a business. Treat it like one. ;)
Why do you want to keep the insurance companies away from this gravy train?

benellisbe

I think we all see that there will be an NFL Lite pro league with 30-40 teams. When that happens, I am hopeful that the rest of the 100+ colleges go back to a traditional collegiate model for football. Paying students directly, as employees, will compound problems for both the university (payroll taxes, liability, AD&D, etc.) as well as the students. If the players want to unionize and to be employees, then they will have to pay taxes on total compensation (tuition scholarships, room & board, etc.). I have not heard a single "union supporter" who has indicated the full scope of what they want. It will make it that "employees" can be fired, so that would possibly help schools cut toxic waste from their locker rooms, but this would absolutely kill non-revenue sports. The NCAA spends billions (I think it was $2.7B in 2023) on scholarships for all athletes (volleyball, lacrosse, swimming, etc.). Those scholarships will begin to dry up quickly and many of those men and women won't be able to afford a $40k tuition. I am in favor of a 30+ team pro league and the rest going back to how it was 10 years ago. NIL is here to stay, so players that are able to capitalize are welcome to it. We already have pay-for-play now, we just call it collectives.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think we all see that there will be an NFL Lite pro league with 30-40 teams. When that happens, I am hopeful that the rest of the 100+ colleges go back to a traditional collegiate model for football. Paying students directly, as employees, will compound problems for both the university (payroll taxes, liability, AD&D, etc.) as well as the students. If the players want to unionize and to be employees, then they will have to pay taxes on total compensation (tuition scholarships, room & board, etc.). I have not heard a single "union supporter" who has indicated the full scope of what they want. It will make it that "employees" can be fired, so that would possibly help schools cut toxic waste from their locker rooms, but this would absolutely kill non-revenue sports. The NCAA spends billions (I think it was $2.7B in 2023) on scholarships for all athletes (volleyball, lacrosse, swimming, etc.). Those scholarships will begin to dry up quickly and many of those men and women won't be able to afford a $40k tuition. I am in favor of a 30+ team pro league and the rest going back to how it was 10 years ago. NIL is here to stay, so players that are able to capitalize are welcome to it. We already have pay-for-play now, we just call it collectives.

There are 1,093,234 high school kids playing football. Only 71,060 will play in the NC2A. Out of that only 853 make the pros. That's 1.2% of all college football players. That means 70,207 of those college kids are playing for love of the game.

Even if you throw in some NIL chump change how many of those 70,207 kids are going to want to play for the NFL lite knowing in 4 years all they got to look forward to is workin' at the car wash because they don't have an education and they are too old to play in the NFL lite?

This is all going to come crashing down.

DannyW

...this would absolutely kill non-revenue sports. The NCAA spends billions (I think it was $2.7B in 2023) on scholarships for all athletes (volleyball, lacrosse, swimming, etc.). Those scholarships will begin to dry up quickly and many of those men and women won't be able to afford a $40k tuition. I am in favor of a 30+ team pro league and the rest going back to how it was 10 years ago. NIL is here to stay, so players that are able to capitalize are welcome to it.

Yep...NIL will have a lot of unintended consequences.

bullgator

Yep...NIL will have a lot of unintended consequences.
Oh wait!, there’s more………as one of the first to order, we’ll include a high school NIL deal for your self absorbed high skool afaleet.
Yep, NIL is coming to Florida next year. I can’t wait until that kills schools like IMG and other football prep schools.

Let it burn baby, let it burn!