Continuing starting issue for Nissan Frontier '03

Waddams

I'd posted about prior issues. Most of it seemed resolved. Now it's throwing P0400 EGR flow malfunction, and it occasionally won't crank. Lights all come on when I turn the key, it doesn't crank. The starting issue is intermittent. Mechanic tech couldn't duplicate the issue, checked the ignition system, didn't find a problem.

Today, the truck wouldn't crank when I tried to start it initially. I went through my pattern, wiggle wheel, take key out, put key back in, jiggle gear shifter. Then when I turned key again, it still just sat there, no cranking at all, just lights on, but when I gently touched the gas pedal just very slightly and lightly, it started right up.

There are times when I turn the key it, and it lights up, sits there for a moment without cranking, then after a 1/2 second, or full second delay, it cranks and starts. I have not taken note of if I were pushing the gas pedal or not when it delays cranking like that.

This is getting really irritating. I'm fully aware if I take it to the mechanic tech again, he will not get it to duplicate, everything will work, etc. So having said that - can anyone shed any ideas? I don't think the EGR code and starting are related, but maybe they are?

DAVE

EGR not causing no crank. Assuming you have checked battery connections, if so I would guess probably starter but most Nissan trucks have a starter relay on passenger fender, it is blue color. My opinion is that it is worth putting a starter and a new relay before you get stranded. A good way to help diagnose is to tap on starter solenoid while someone holds key in start position, this is not 100% but close. Just make sure you trust the person holding the brake and make sure it is out of gear.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
My vote is the starter solenoid. All that jiggling and pumping the gas pedal ain't doin nothin.
I always start with turning lights on and trying to crank. If the lights go out the battery is dead. If they don't it's usually a bad connection.

hopper

I wouldn't rule out ignition actuator or switch. No expert here but Jeeps sometimes have that issue. How did tech check them? When working it would test fine. You could replace both for not a lot.
I hate throwing parts at a problem but at least you get new parts ?

Waddams

thanks all.

I'd meant to link old thread but forgot - but starter was replaced a month ago. I could tap the old one and get it to start at the time.

This delayed crank has been happening going on for about 2 years. Very intermittent, but not really manifesting as bad and I didn't question the reliability of the truck until recently.

The horn went out recently too, lol! Just a ghost in the machine.

I'm gonna try swapping out fuses and relays for the starter and horn next. Don't really want to send it to a mechanic again right now, will see if the fuse and relay swap helps. Because it's intermittent, I guess I won't have a good feel if it's fixed until I go a few months without it happening. If I swap them out and it still struggles with starting, I'll know it wasn't the fuses or relays!

Waddams

Swapped the blade fuse in drivers cab for the starter. Old one looked kind of fried but I don't see in it the fuse blown. Have turned it off and restarted about 20 times, no repeat of the delayed crank or no crank yet.

Fuse on left is old one.

Attachments

• 20210815_113805.jpg
    20210815_113805.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 36

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
Swapped the blade fuse in drivers cab for the starter. Old one looked kind of fried but I don't see in it the fuse blown. Have turned it off and restarted about 20 times, no repeat of the delayed crank or no crank yet.

Fuse on left is old one.
That very well could have been the whole problem cause it took a while for the power to get through that much resistance which explains the delayed start.

Waddams

That very well could have been the whole problem cause it took a while for the power to get through that much resistance which explains the delayed start.

Yup. I think I might at least check and maybe replace every relay and fuse in the truck.

I turned off and restarted the truck like 25 times today. No issues after swapping out that fuse.

Will give it a bit longer to see what else shows itself.

Waddams

update - still no luck. have now, since start of issue, replaced battery, starter, ignition switch and relay (2 days ago), starter fuse. worked for 2 days, but it would not crank again after a hair cut today.

tried starting from park and nuetral, no luck.

hooked a charged jump box, still no crank. dash lights come on, when i try to crank radio and a/c blower turn off, stop crank but leave key in position for accessories to be on, radio and blower come back on.

think I'm down to corroded connection or short in a wire somewhere in the starter control circuit.

it's still in the barber parking lot, or I'd be in the garage disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting stuff in my garage.

Waddams

and another update. went back after sun down and temps cooled. that blankity blank truck started right up. so it's home now.

I've got problem child cable or connection somewhere. Will be spending tomorrow trying to figure it out.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
intermittent things like that can drive you nuts.

They are dang near I impossible to trouble shoot because when it is working everything checks just fine. When it doesn't you never have the tools available to diagnosis the issue.

Good luck.

I am betting it is a bad ground

Waddams

well I've disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled every connection I get to in the ignition system. found an article about how higher temps cause higher electrical resistance. the battery cables and starter connections all had various buildup on them. they're all shiny smooth now. maybe there was enough that in high temps it caused enough resistance to be high enough that the start signal couldn't get thru?

only thing left is to get to the neutral safety switch. have started in P and N, and tried and failed to start in R and D. seems to be working ok.

spilled my beer and flies are all over in the garage now.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Cleaning connections may not help, if there is corrosion INSIDE the wire.

Have you replaced the battery/ground/starter cables with new ones?

Waddams

Cleaning connections may not help, if there is corrosion INSIDE the wire.

Have you replaced the battery/ground/starter cables with new ones?

Have not yet replaced cables. That's next to be honest.

The + battery cable did have a ton of material on it. I grabbed a wire brush I use to clean pistol barrels and took it all off. And one starter cable connection wasn't very tight. I got 12 volts on it with the key in on position before cleaning it all, but it also had some corrosion on the cable connection. It too was shining before being reconnected and tightened up.

It started fine after all was done. Battery has 12 volts on the multimeter when off. 15 volts when running.

If it's not connections, it's either neutral safety switch which is a pain to get to on a Frontier or it's a bad cable somewhere. I should know soon enough.

Waddams

Ugh. Lather rinse repeat. Wouldn't start. Checked with multimeter, battery power good, starter connection good.

Jiggled wiring to neutral safety switch that comes off relay box in passenger fender side of engine compartment and IT STARTED.

Turned off, repeated, wouldn't start until I jiggled same wiring.

I think I have a bad connection, short, or bad ground in neutral safety switch system.

Waddams

Yeah. Gonna clean contacts I can get to first. When it's starting, it starts in park and neutral, doesn't start in gear. So I think switch is still working good.

Start with disconnect, clean contacts, and see if it keeps happening.

Switch is on transmission under vehicle. Getting to it is a pain. I looked at it earlier. Will keep on it though. It's worth it if I can avoid buying a new truck due to this.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Every time I drop a hundred or three on one of my old ones, I consider it cash well spent.

My old 2000 4Runner is near mechanically new. Last couple years I've done about 3k worth of this and that.

I'd head for Alaska in it tomorrow, if I wanted to go.

IMG_20210704_113910219.jpg

Artfuldodger

It's frustrating for sure. I was chasing a no crank on a car and I would wiggle a wire and it would crank. I went aha. Then it wouldn't crank and I'd shift it in and out of park and it would crank and I'd go aha. Them to wouldn't crank and I would tap on the fuel pump relay and it would crank and I'd say aha.

It ended up being the wire was almost broke at the crankshaft position sensor. Very intermittent, not sure why doing all that other stuff had anything to do with it cranking. I guess it didn't other than just being a coincidence happening when it wanted to crank.

Waddams

i haven't touched it, it starts without issue this morning.

it's not 100% consistent but it does seem to act up more when it sits outside in the sun and heat, and when it's hotter out.

it's gonna be one little thing and as I keep progressing through more and more, if I do multiple things to it, and the starting problem stops, I might not ever know exactly what it was.