Cool stuff you’ve found when researching your genealogy

JonathanG2013

I have not looked deeply any all of my family tree. I did find out I have ancestors from the 1600's from Scotland.

A good free website for genealogy is familysearch.org

Core Lokt

I've never looked into it but my mom has. Her birth mother was 100% Cherokee Indian. Always wondered how I could get so tan in the summer and never white/pale colored in theWinter. .

jaybirdius

My Mom is fascinated by it and has been working on it for years. We did find out why her side of the family is from Canada. We are related to one of the biggest Turncoats before the Revolutionary War, Who was run out of the colonies.

Mars

I've just gotten started looking into mine. I have found the my dad's folks came from England in the mid 1500s and they stayed around Isle or Wright, Virginia and moved down to Warren/Glascock counties around the time of the revolution.

oldfella1962

Found this the other night. It’s the transcribed version as the original is written in cursive and almost unreadable on an iPhone.
This (the doctor) is supposed to be one of my paternal 6th great grandfathers who is buried in Greene county Ga

View attachment 1246666
Wait - if a doctor wrote it nobody could read it anyway! :LOL:

oldfella1962

I cannot research my genealogy because there are too many adoptions, illegitimate kids and whatnot. :huh:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
CSM Basil Plumely (from We Were Soldiers) was my 2nd cousin twice removed. He grew up in Shady Springs, WV

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
For some perspective on the original post, these are the Georgia county boundaries of 1794. Greene was right against “Indian country” IMG_4902.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Life was tough on the frontier, I’m related to Absalom.

IMG_2112.jpegIMG_2111.jpeg

Geffellz18

I`m a Baker too. Near as I can tell my bunch came to South Georgia from the Low Country South Carolina.
A Baker here too-Best I know is the Baker Lineage side derives from the Lagrange area.
Some of my dads Aunts/Cousins still live in the area.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm fortunate that many folks in my family have been intensively involved in genealogical work for our family. Hope y'all will indulge me in a story.

As the tree gets pretty wide the farther you go back, I'm just referring to father's father's fathers in this case.

Born December 1609, my 10th great grandfather boarded a ship in the 1630 Winthrop fleet with his young wife and set sail for the Massachusetts Bay colony. My 9th great grandfather, their only surviving son, left to settle on Long Island, NY. There my fathers settled until the Revolution.

I can only assume they were simple folk. I haven't found any record of them being involved in anything politically or militarily. The only member of that branch of my family that served as a regular in the Continental Army was my 8th great Uncle, Elishaphet. NY's 1st Suffolk County Regiment under the command of Colonel Josiah Smith, though there may have been some militiamen. Not that they would have had notable impact on the war as Long Island fell into british hands pretty early on.

Post-Revolution, my family moved from New York to Conneticut to continue farming before returning to upstate New York a decade later. Likely due to farms of revolution supporters being pillaged by both british regulars and marauders, which certain accounts suggest were pretty common.

My 5th great grandfather, joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) in New York in the early 1830s and followed them on their exodus from Ohio to Illinois to Missouri and then finally on to the Utah territory where my family stayed until only this past couple decades. My 4th great grandfather, 6th of 9 children, was just a baby at the time and would have made the 600 mile journey in the back of a handcart bundled up in blankets as my family trudged across the plains and through the rockies. Its a wonder he survived as many didn't (to include 3 of his siblings)

My interesting tidbit is that I am the first since 1843 to be born outside of Utah and the first ever in my family line to visit, much less settle in the South. So here begins my family legacy in Georgia which constitutes the greatest distance migrated since Grandpa James in 1630 From Sussex, England to Salem Massachusetts.
Thanks, enjoyed that.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
CSM Basil Plumely (from We Were Soldiers) was my 2nd cousin twice removed. He grew up in Shady Springs, WV
Met him at Martin A.C.H. in '89.

slow motion

This was Pop's people. A book researched from family bibles and such. She self published and sold to family to cover the cost. I managed to get one from her son years later. He had found some extras while going through some old stuff. Said they had no idea how a copy ended up in the Latter Day Saints Library. You can see the whole book online, or at least when I checked several years back you could. I've never tried to do any research. Wouldn't know how to get started. Wife bought us both an ancestry.com thing once. Found a bunch of Momma's people.
Screenshot_20230821-143241_Chrome.jpg
Pic of my GGF &GGM and Great Aunts and Uncle's in front of the old house. My Grandfather wouldn't be born for a few more years. Did some work on the old house and made a frame for the pic from some of the wood I replaced.20230821_144408.jpg

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Wasn't looking, but ran across an entire billboard in NE Oklahoma with the @Batjack family tree on it. Snapped a pic and texted it to him, and it filled in a couple gaps in his research!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Wasn't looking, but ran across an entire billboard in NE Oklahoma with the @Batjack family tree on it. Snapped a pic and texted it to him, and it filled in a couple gaps in his research!
Yeah! That was a lot of help tying in N.C. to Oklahoma.

Raper's Corner.png

Many Thanks!

buckpasser

I have a copy of a fairly ancient telling of a story in my Grandmother’s genealogy records. It speaks of my great great great grandfather’s business partner, who being of questionable judgement, got in a bind while in Montana on business and sold his wife and child for $10.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
When I got serious about digging into the family I got very lucky through the net. I found a historian who had done an extensive study of our family. I then found a distant cousin who had built on the historians work and fleshed out other parts of the family scattered around the country. This is one of two volumes published of my family story. I had to connect my family to my great grand father. Reading the books and with the help of the two authors I connected back to the boat and on to Ireland. The books are riddled with pictures of legal documents and letters providing verification.

Attachment-1.jpeg