Could This Be Busted No Colder Than It Got? HELP

Big7

The Oracle
Found this taking the trash to the road. facepalm:
Just had work done right at the meter not to long ago.

You can see where water ran out on the sidewalk and uphill a bit from the sidewalk you can see a wet spot. It is possibly on top of the line as the meter is over the lot line onto the side lot and there is not a house on that lot.

The meter is in the background around that little bush. You can see no water around the meter itself.

Of course, I'm going to be responsible for anything upstream from the meter so I'm wondering if the plumber might have knocked something loose while he was fixing a leak right at the meter.

Surly it didn't freeze night before last when it went to 32* only for a couplebof hours.

Thoughts?
20231105_232453.jpg20231105_232500.jpg20231105_232522.jpg

Toliver

I would say it's plumbing being plumbing. I didn't even worry about my camper freezing up with that little short cold snap. So unless something was already weak and fully exposed to the air I would have my doubts that the issue was a freeze'n'bust.

Anvil Head

Do you know what material the service line is? Pvc can get fragile over the years and if someone drives over it, it can crack and break. No matter what, as Fish stated, shovel work is involved. Lines are typically 18" to 24" deep and since it's already water softened it will be pretty easy to uncover.

bighonkinjeep

What is your service line made of?
What type of repair did the plumber make? Did he replace any parts a section of service line or just use a clamp? How far away is the new leak from the repair he made? ( water like elecrricity follows path of least resistance and does some strange stuff but its most likely not too far uphill from where its surfacing)
I really doubt the cold got it if it made it thhrough last winter okay.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Take the cover off the meter..If you reach down and muddy the water it will tell you which side of the meter the leak is on.City side their problem,Your side of the meter its ,yours to repair.If it's on your side,you are being charged for the water that is leaking out onto the ground.

Big7

The Oracle
Update:

Roots pushed a 45* glued joint apart.

Plumber dug up 5 foot circle and replaced the white pvc with a heavy gauge dark gray.

He said it would never come apart there again.

The bill for a supervisor and 2 working men about 2 hours was almost 600 bucks.

Then a bale of wheat straw and ryegrass/fescue mix was about 25.

Thanks for all the replies.