"Coyote" NONSELECTIVE Poison Federal cyanide trap injures boy, kills dog

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Please read this carefully and consider all of the negative situations that could occur as the result of implementing this as varmint control.

They have been in use since the 1930's. It's not a new concept.They have literally been in use out west in one form or another longer than most of us have been alive.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Are there still coyotes in Idaho where these wonderful, miraculously effective devices are used? If so, how are they more effective than other methods of control? A fence around the pasture with a couple Great Pyrenees dogs or burros in there would do more good to protect the sheep than a thousand of those things. I would guess that trapping, snaring, or calling would get just as many or more yotes than the M44s, with a lot less danger and collateral damage. For that matter, how about the sheep owner build a fence around his pasture?

in.

It's vast tracts of land out west they run their sheep and cattle on. It's not a 20 acre play farm set up for a tax deduction

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
At one time poison was considered an appropriate means of controlling nuisance animals.
The rest of the world has recognized the extreme danger of this indiscriminate approach.
I guess the Feds are behind the curve.

so you don't put rat poison out in your house?

Knotwild

I saw them used in Texas years ago by a man hired by the county to kill coyotes. He was trained in their use and always had antidote with him. A spring shoots a cyanide capsule directly down the animals throat when the animal pulls on a bait scented felt trigger. The whole thing was driven in the ground like a tent stake. It was effective on bobcats and coyotes there and they didn't make it 25 yards after ingesting the cyanide.

He was in cattle and farming country, so he wasn't where any pets could get to it.

It is a fine tool and I wish they would allow it to be used by trained personnel on tracts of land large enough to be isolated from pets.

Deernut3

When I lived in Nebraska these things were fairly common on the west end of the state, I saw a bunch of them while hunting prairie chickens. Farmers would put them out mostly when there cows were calving.

Dustin

They got their reasons. I would think the public cannot get these and would like to think the state is the only one that can put these out.

I may be the only one.... but I personally would feel safer with an individual having control over a "trap" as such than the government.

I would be willing to bet money the boy and his dog were not supposed to be on the land. It isn't specifically mentioned, but it sounds like it is Land Bureau land that was leased out for sheep grazing. Coyotes were eating the sheep, and these things were there to kill the coyotes. I don't have a problem with it. If they are placing them in a public park where people are walking there dogs all the time, then that is one thing, but if the boy got hurt because he was roaming around somewhere he wasn't supposed to be then, then it is what it is. I highly doubt this was a park. M-44 cyanide traps have been used for years out west. There are regulations around them and your average joe can't put them out. Everyone I have ever seen had a warning flag stuck beside, I would also be willing to be this one did too. The animal has to tug on it to get it to go off, so it isn't a land mine or anything. i would be the kid was walking on property he wasn't supposed to be, ignored the warning flag beside the canister, and let his dog mess with it until it went off. A more accurate title for the article would probably be "Dog Killed and Boy injured While Trespassing on Property on Which M-44 Traps were Being used to Control Coyotes."

That is one of the single most retarded things I've ever read... I'm sorry but you're just stupid... to even think of a kid walking through the woods being allowed to be there or not to be hurt or killed and not "have a problem with it" is a pretty big problem.

I mean if that's the case why can't I put land mines on my property? If one of the neighbor kids gets blown up what's the big deal right?

It used to be people didn't want kids in their woods to keep them from getting hurt, now days people would just as soon take them to the gallows and hang em.

Besides all that there's been at least 2 other people have run ins with them and get sick, both of which happened on PUBLIC land where ANYONE was allowed.

they get what is coming to them.

No one said "he deserved to be injured", so don't put words in peoples' mouths.

Alright...

Last edited:

Dustin

They have been in use since the 1930's. It's not a new concept.They have literally been in use out west in one form or another longer than most of us have been alive.

The ones from the 30's to the 70's was different, they done away with those cause they killed too many people, ironically, now the fool proof m-44's that took the place of the old ones are doing the same.

You cannot have something that shoots poison when a trigger is tripped... it's pretty simple, if we rigged something like that up the government would call it a "booby trap" and we'd be under the prison, but when it's them it's fine.

lampern

At one time poison was considered an appropriate means of controlling nuisance animals.
The rest of the world has recognized the extreme danger of this indiscriminate approach.
I guess the Feds are behind the curve.

Still widely used in Australia

DAVE

The ones from the 30's to the 70's was different, they done away with those cause they killed too many people, ironically, now the fool proof m-44's that took the place of the old ones are doing the same.

You cannot have something that shoots poison when a trigger is tripped... it's pretty simple, if we rigged something like that up the government would call it a "booby trap" and we'd be under the prison, but when it's them it's fine.

How many people have been killed?

lampern

They also have crazy gun laws and worship a queen. Most of us don`t care what Australia does. Especially those of us in the Old South.

I don't care what Australia does either except they do use poisons like the US.

US is not the only country to use them. Thats all.

across the river

I may be the only one.... but I personally would feel safer with an individual having control over a "trap" as such than the government.

That is one of the single most retarded things I've ever read... I'm sorry but you're just stupid... to even think of a kid walking through the woods being allowed to be there or not to be hurt or killed and not "have a problem with it" is a pretty big problem.

I mean if that's the case why can't I put land mines on my property? If one of the neighbor kids gets blown up what's the big deal right?

It used to be people didn't want kids in their woods to keep them from getting hurt, now days people would just as soon take them to the gallows and hang em.

Besides all that there's been at least 2 other people have run ins with them and get sick, both of which happened on PUBLIC land where ANYONE was allowed.

I am a parent. I don't want to see my kid or anyone else's kid hurt, so don't put words in my mouth. If you would take the time to actually read the responses I made, I said that IF the kid had every right to be there on the land, and this was park or something he was on legitimately, then I would agree with the others that it probably shouldn't have been put out there. I also said, I don't believe that the kid should have been on the property from what I read in the article. You, the mom, and others are on here acting liking some militia redneck put this thing out trying to intentionally hurt the kid. I don't believe that. It was there to kill a coyote. If I am wrong, then I am sure it will come out in the courts if it makes it there. My point is these things have been used for many, many years. As I have said, every one of them I have ever seen had a flag beside it warning it was there, and I would bet this one did to. There a regulations on how and who can put them out. What if it had been a old well, a bee hive, a mean bull that gored the kid to death? Who's fault would that be. What if it was old deer stand that wasn't serviceable, but had never be taken down? The kid tried to climb up the steps, they broke, and he was hurt badly in the fall. There are a million things that could of hurt the kid, so is someone supposed to go out and eliminate every single hazard that could possibly exist on their property, because someone might wander on it and get hurt? Maybe I am stupid. I've been called worse. However, I know that I am smart enough to teach my kid that they don't wander onto property that doesn't belong to them. I also know that if my kid did that anyway and got sprayed by a M-44, I'm not going to try to pass the blame of on someone who put it there completely within their legal right to do so. I may not like what happened, but I'm not going to try to pass them blame, which is what appears to be happening here.

Dustin

How many people have been killed?

By the m-44 or it's predecessor the "coyote getter"?

The "coyote getter" it's hard to find the accounts, being so long ago, killed a guy in 66, shot a 15 yr old in the eye in 59 and got 17 more people from 65 to 71.

The m-44 got a woman in 94 that was set on HER PRIVATE PROPERTY by a USDA employee, poisoned one in 03 that the USDA denied responsibility for even though it left the man with severe health problems, another in 06 and now another in 2017

Still widely used in Australia

It's pointless to mention Australia, Australia has 23 Mil. people living in 2.97 million SQ miles, the US has 318 million people with 3.7 mil. SQ miles, 14 times as many people with just 1 mil. SQ miles more, New York state has just as many people living within it's 54,556 SQ miles as Australia does in the entire country.

Like comparing a grape to watermelon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am a parent. I don't want to see my kid or anyone else's kid hurt, so don't put words in my mouth. If you would take the time to actually read the responses I made, I said that IF the kid had every right to be there on the land, and this was park or something he was on legitimately, then I would agree with the others that it probably shouldn't have been put out there. I also said, I don't believe that the kid should have been on the property from what I read in the article. You, the mom, and others are on here acting liking some militia redneck put this thing out trying to intentionally hurt the kid. I don't believe that. It was there to kill a coyote. If I am wrong, then I am sure it will come out in the courts if it makes it there. My point is these things have been used for many, many years. As I have said, every one of them I have ever seen had a flag beside it warning it was there, and I would bet this one did to. There a regulations on how and who can put them out. What if it had been a old well, a bee hive, a mean bull that gored the kid to death? Who's fault would that be. What if it was old deer stand that wasn't serviceable, but had never be taken down? The kid tried to climb up the steps, they broke, and he was hurt badly in the fall. There are a million things that could of hurt the kid, so is someone supposed to go out and eliminate every single hazard that could possibly exist on their property, because someone might wander on it and get hurt? Maybe I am stupid. I've been called worse. However, I know that I am smart enough to teach my kid that they don't wander onto property that doesn't belong to them. I also know that if my kid did that anyway and got sprayed by a M-44, I'm not going to try to pass the blame of on someone who put it there completely within their legal right to do so. I may not like what happened, but I'm not going to try to pass them blame, which is what appears to be happening here.

A "park?" I think you're confusing rural Idaho with the suburbs of Atlanta or somewhere. In the country, kids play in the woods, not in a "park."

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I reckon I just don`t have enough dislike or hate in me for coyotes or anything else, to bring myself down to a level to use something like that. Like anything, they need to be controlled, but not like this.

If that makes me different from the majority, then I am proud of it.

pine floor

I guess some here did not see Nics article about the Red Wolf. I see coyotes all the time on our property. Pretty interesting to watch IF you get to see them long enough. Pretty much no different than any other predator, bobcats,fox,coon, and so on.

I dang sure ain't that mad at something to put cyanide out to kill something that was here before anyone else (DOGS)..

I'll side with, Nic on this, but everyone has their opinion.

PF

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I reckon I just don`t have enough dislike or hate in me for coyotes or anything else, to bring myself down to a level to use something like that. Like anything, they need to be controlled, but not like this.

That makes two of us Nic, and I suspect we are far from alone.

shdw633

I find it odd that you side with the farmer when it comes to permit hunting Nic but don't side with the rancher on this issue. :huh: