Crossbow target

BDD

What’s a good target to stop a 175 # crossbow ? Who sells them ?

Anybody have a do-it-yourself one they make ?

Years ago I shot into a pile of sand that worked pretty good.

I made the mistake of buying one at Academy without my glasses on,

It doesn’t even slow the arrow down….

Hillbilly stalker

I built my own bow/crossbow target. Framed 2x4 , its about 24x24 inches. It's also about 30 inches deep. I covered the front with an old piece of carpet and stuffed it with comforters, clothing and sheets. If you use clothing, cut out the zippers and metal buttons. You don't have to stuff it super tight. It will stop compounds even with 2 blade broadheads and crossbows. Just replace the carpet when shot out. It doesn't damage broadheads, but you have to dig them out, mechanicals will usually pull out. Thunderheads are a pain in the rear . This one is 8-10 years old <$20. You can make it a lot prettier than mine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 14

Joe EC

Poly bag filled with old rags. This was an empty bag. Just fill with old jeans, tee shirts, blankets, sheets, etc.

or broadhead practice I use a cardboard leaf target. Fill a box that is deeper than your arrow is long with sheets of cardboard. Shoot, pull out back sheets until you get to the40 yards 1.jpg20141020_093511.jpg20141020_103138.jpg20141020_103306.jpg broadhead and unscrew it.

BowanaLee

If you want something that'll last, stop broadheads and field points, you might as well get a Blob. Its hard to pull them out until it gets broke in though.

shdw633

I use a layered styrofoam target backed up by a bag target and they have stopped everything I have shot at them and they are easy to pull out and don't destroy the vanes as bad. The blob is way to hard to pull out and has wrecked way to many bolts/vanes for me to use those type of targets any longer. I have also used back to back bag targets that have worked as well, though not as good as the layered targets backed by a bag target. If you buy just one target to try and stop them you will only be disappointed one way or the other in my opinion.

Hunter922

Blob is the best.. I tried to stop the Ghost 420 with a block black it it went slap thru it no resistance...

Tadder

BDD, Sam Bows Archery in Ila, ga has some nice Crossbow approved targets. Check 'em out He's open M-F 12-8pm and most Sat 11am - 3 pm. Look them up and give Sam a call. He had some in stock friday .

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've got a layered foam target I picked up at Academy a few years back. Works great, although I'm shooting rage target tips at it, not broadheads.

BowanaLee

I use a layered styrofoam target backed up by a bag target and they have stopped everything I have shot at them and they are easy to pull out and don't destroy the vanes as bad. The blob is way to hard to pull out and has wrecked way to many bolts/vanes for me to use those type of targets any longer. I have also used back to back bag targets that have worked as well, though not as good as the layered targets backed by a bag target. If you buy just one target to try and stop them you will only be disappointed one way or the other in my opinion.
Your using broadheads with bag targets ?

shdw633

Your using broadheads with bag targets ?

Yes, but not until after I have sighted in completely with field points. I will then run a few with broadheads to confirm the crossbow is sighted in. I don't spend a lot of money on the bag targets that I have and when they are pretty much wore out I will throw them in a trash bag and put that behind my primary target because all I am looking for it to do is stop the bolt, nothing more. I have a rinehart cube target but it's to much to deal with trying to get those things out, takes the fun right out of shooting my crossbow when I know I got to go wrestle with the target every two or three bolts.

Hillbilly stalker

You can shoot them in mine. It don't hurt the broadheads, fletching or target. Just replace the carpet every now and again. Used carpets free. I shoot a store bought one out in a couple weeks. They can't take broadheads.

BDD

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

I filled a box with old clothes and duct taped

It up. It works perfect, I’m only shooting field

Points right now.

BowanaLee

Yes, but not until after I have sighted in completely with field points. I will then run a few with broadheads to confirm the crossbow is sighted in. I don't spend a lot of money on the bag targets that I have and when they are pretty much wore out I will throw them in a trash bag and put that behind my primary target because all I am looking for it to do is stop the bolt, nothing more. I have a rinehart cube target but it's to much to deal with trying to get those things out, takes the fun right out of shooting my crossbow when I know I got to go wrestle with the target every two or three bolts.
I might use a field point to make sure I’m on the target face but I mainly use broad heads. I didn’t buy a crossbow to target practice. We’re going to the woods. My bag targets are like new and seldom get used. I’d destroy them getting a broad head out. It doesn’t take me long to break in a blob. I have four blobs, four bags, three lighted rag bails and a dozen 3-d targets. I can only shoot broadheads at blobs. I still shoot target arrows with my obsession bows.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks everyone for the great replies.

I filled a box with old clothes and duct taped

It up. It works perfect, I’m only shooting field

Points right now.

After wasting $15 on a chunk of foam, I found a perfect sized box and filled it with a bunch of boxes that needed to be broken down anywho......thanks to some great ideas I found on this thread, I added an old blanket and some drain pipe wrapiping material I had. Working perfect and ez removal!