Crystal River Florida

Kwaksmoka

Headed down to Crystal River, fishing with Hangem High Charters. Anyone fished with them? What are the best places to eat down there? Looking for local spots no chains!

Lukikus2

In Crystal river I would actually recommend the Ale House. Hommassa has some great restaurants and the crab restaurant at the end of Ozzelo road. North up 19 there is a Denny's attached to a Hampton Inn that has always been good, especially breakfast.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
In Crystal river I would actually recommend the Ale House. Hommassa has some great restaurants and the crab restaurant at the end of Ozzelo road. North up 19 there is a Denny's attached to a Hampton Inn that has always been good, especially breakfast.
The crab restaurant at the end of Othello rd is the one I was talking about in the other thread. Peck's.
Screenshot_20210616-212138_Chrome.jpg

Lukikus2

The crab restaurant at the end of Othello rd is the one I was talking about in the other thread. Peck's.
View attachment 1086005

Great seafood and raise thier own soft shell crab right on the deck outside. Right across the bridge from there is the 3 story motel that got wiped out from the Storm of the Century. The restaurant was rebuilt but never the motel.

bullgator

The Freezer used to be great, but I’ve heard it’s dropped off a bit.

bullgator

Yep, haven’t been there in 4-5 years even though I’m only 30 minutes away.

asc

Great seafood and raise thier own soft shell crab right on the deck outside. Right across the bridge from there is the 3 story motel that got wiped out from the Storm of the Century. The restaurant was rebuilt but never the motel.
Pecks hasn't shed crabs in 30 years, tanks just hold the hard crabs that are delivered by the crabbers.
Their soft shells come off the Sysco truck.

Lukikus2

Pecks hasn't shed crabs in 30 years, tanks just hold the hard crabs that are delivered by the crabbers.
Their soft shells come off the Sysco truck.

That's the way it's advertised though. There were live softshells in the holding tanks last time I went. I don't do crab unless it's a platter of claws. To much work on the whole ones. Maybe what they had were in molting stage?

Lukikus2

Not me. But they sum it up.
If you are by boat...Tha bait shack on the left side of the cove sells all kinds of fresh seafood. And they will tell you how much a pound.

I did not like the fact I was told "You have to purchase it before we can tell you how much it will be". Adios
IMG_5342.PNG

Lukikus2

I thought they shut down a few years ago. Did they reopen?

Margaritaville burned down years ago and wasn't nothing but a steel frame for years. I hear they are back open. Sawgrass is good. And there is always McCraes. Busy but good. I always tip the dock guys.

asc

That's the way it's advertised though. There were live softshells in the holding tanks last time I went. I don't do crab unless it's a platter of claws. To much work on the whole ones. Maybe what they had were in molting stage?
Pecks has not had a shedder operation since 1989 when Calvin Peck owned the place, the four tanks that are left are used for hard crabs only.
I know as I sell them some from time to time.

if you think those crabs are soft just reach in that tank and grab one.. lol

asc

Y'all could try the Crab Plant in Crystal River, fresh local and GOM seafood.

Lukikus2

Pecks has not had a shedder operation since 1989 when Calvin Peck owned the place, the four tanks that are left are used for hard crabs only.
I know as I sell them some from time to time.

if you think those crabs are soft just reach in that tank and grab one.. lol

That I did not do. I have my limitations. Last one that got me I was wading the inter coastal. One claw up through the bottom of my big toe and the other right through the toenail. He left it with me. Had to pry it out.