Dad's gun got it done!!!!

Arrow3

Well, it didn't take long after patterning dad's old Stevens 311 16 gauge to fill a tag with it.

I heard a bird gobble this morning on a small private tract I have in Oglethorpe County and as I was walking towards him I notice a lone hen up in a big white oak. I put a tree between me and her and sat down. She started nervously clucking and the gobbler was eating it up. I didn't really see a reason to call if she was gonna do it for me ... :rofl:

The gobbler got to about 100 yards and she shut up. (I think she saw them) So, I yelped on my mouth call which drew a gobble and fired her up in the tree, which in turn fired the gobbler up more.

I see two big gobblers appear over the ridge about 40 yards away. 1 stutter and 1 looker. I already had dad's old 16 gauge pointing at the looker but there was a tree in my way and he was getting nervous. He flipped his wings and I leaned up and shot. Killing the gobbler and the tree :rofl:

This gun hadn't killed a turkey in 40 years until this morning. I may start trying to kill one with it every season just to help keep dad's memory in the turkey woods!20240418_080937.jpg20240418_110500.jpg20240418_082240.jpg

six

Sweet! Good job.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Great story. That TSS is wicked stuff judging from what it did to the tree, not to mention bird! I noted double triggers on the gun. Much easier to select barrels. You could easily shoot lead in one barrel for close in birds and the TSS for the 40 yard birds--provided they reasonably shoot similar points of impact to point of aim. Worth checking out. Gil

Arrow3

Great story. That TSS is wicked stuff judging from what it did to the tree, not to mention bird! I noted double triggers on the gun. Much easier to select barrels. You could easily shoot lead in one barrel for close in birds and the TSS for the 40 yard birds--provided they reasonably shoot similar points of impact to point of aim. Worth checking out. Gil
Yes sir already doing that. High brass 6s in the modified barrel images (2).jpeg

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Very very cool!!!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah ! Congrats and go kill another one with it !

turkeykirk

Congratulations and good story.

Stick

Way to knock the dust off it and keep that tradition alive! Pretty neat, thanks for sharing with us.

Gaswamp

awesome

fullstrut

Beautiful Bird. Congrats. I live in Olgelthorpe County and have yet to hear a Bird on my land. I have a 16 Gauge 870 Remington that my Dad gave me as well. Fixed full choke. You may have gave me the idea to try and take to the woods.

Hawken2222

Thats awesome Brandon! This inspires me to knock the dust of my
Dad's old 3" Model 12 and take it for a walk with it in the woods. I need to research TSS and see if I can shoot in the old Model 12. Anyway, Congrats Brandon Good Stuff!

Arrow3

Beautiful Bird. Congrats. I live in Olgelthorpe County and have yet to hear a Bird on my land. I have a 16 Gauge 870 Remington that my Dad gave me as well. Fixed full choke. You may have gave me the idea to try and take to the woods.
It's definitely depressing on how hard you have to work to find a bird around here these days.

I bet this verdict tss will shoot great in that gun too!

Hillbilly stalker

Great hunt and story, makes it even sweeter with that gun. Woodsmanship triumphs calling every time (y)