Dang red wigglers

Richf7

Yesterday on the Toccoa I watched two guys use red wigglers to catch six nice stockers in about 30 minutes while I used every lure in my box. I know they’re the most effective live bait but my problem is getting them on a small size 10 hook. My hands aren’t as steady as they used to be and I’m wondering if using a small Carlisle would make it easier to hook them. I’m not real big on any kind of Power Bait and night crawlers are just too much trouble.

Comments or ideas?

basshappy

BANNED
Yesterday on the Toccoa I watched two guys use red wigglers to catch six nice stockers in about 30 minutes while I used every lure in my box. I know they’re the most effective live bait but my problem is getting them on a small size 10 hook. My hands aren’t as steady as they used to be and I’m wondering if using a small Carlisle would make it easier to hook them. I’m not real big on any kind of Power Bait and night crawlers are just too much trouble.

Comments or ideas?

You could lie the wiggler on a flat surface and use the hook tip to pierce the worm before chucking it into the water. Alternatively press the hook side against a flat surface with the tip exposed and push the wiggler onto the hook. Sometimes having only one moving part and the other stationary helps.

Richf7

They call em “ Georgia wigglers “ up here in SC. Them thangs twerk on a hook :rofl:. They’re hard to beat, shell crackers love em. Best pin them down on something before you jab them.
When I was a kid hooking them was a piece of cake. Maybe they’ve been genetically modified.

Richf7

They call em “ Georgia wigglers “ up here in SC. Them thangs twerk on a hook :rofl:. They’re hard to beat, shell crackers love em. Best pin them down on something before you jab them.
I lived in Columbia when I was a kid. What were those worms you turned inside out?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I lived in Columbia when I was a kid. What were those worms you turned inside out?

I still do that with em. Pinch the head off, put the other end of the worm against the bend of the hook, and push it on the hook.

hopper

I use bread balls for bream to :bounce:. Sometimes I dont have alot of time and want to fill up a stringer.
Most the time I fish the artificial section of the hooch with spinners and don't have to watch the bait chuckers out fish me.

Richf7

I use bread balls for bream to :bounce:. Sometimes I dont have alot of time and want to fill up a stringer.
Most the time I fish the artificial section of the hooch with spinners and don't have to watch the bait chuckers out fish me.
Bacon worked, too! The biggest bream I ever caught was on a piece of fatback.

Hillbilly stalker

Y’all won’t believe it, but them Gulp nite crawlers an the maggots too will catch about anything swimming panfish wise. The maggots are great to catch shiners out of a cow pond, they can’t steal them.

GA1dad

Back in the mid 90's we had a family fishing tournament one summer. My mother-in-law caught a 6.6 lb largemouth on a red wiggler,,,, right next to the bank on Lake Juliette. She won our little tournament. It made me seriously question all the lures I had in my tacklebox.

Richf7

Back in the mid 90's we had a family fishing tournament one summer. My mother-in-law caught a 6.6 lb largemouth on a red wiggler,,,, right next to the bank on Lake Juliette. She won our little tournament. It made me seriously question all the lures I had in my tacklebox.
Seems like somebody is always catching fish with bait different from mine.

Anvil Head

People who trout fish with corn will probably go to Hades.
I heard they have a specially reserved section. Don't plan to find out.
A well tied fly with the right presentation will catch anything.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I heard they have a specially reserved section. Don't plan to find out.
A well tied fly with the right presentation will catch anything.
Ten to one to corn, too.